PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake - Water Issues

corn_flakes
13-07-2006, 01:48 PM
did a search, couldn't really find much that addresses the topic...

would really like to get a CAI, but just wondering about the water issues...

ie. driving thru water, water puddles, rain, etc etc

has anyone ever had problems with water getting into the intake?

discuss hydrolock and etc etc for this newbie to car modding...:)

btw, thinkin of the injen or k&n cai....:thumbsup:

ek4-guy
13-07-2006, 02:12 PM
injen has a new water sock that covers the filter

qikteg
13-07-2006, 02:14 PM
i think its k&n that have a hydrolock preventer, hooks onto the throttle body, got something to do with foam, i dunno

Slow96GSR
13-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Wow this is old for me!! I will say this… unless you drive thru 9"+ puddles at 2 mph you are safe. Rain won't bother it and puddles won't hurt it, it’s not easy to get water in it. I will however add this... If you remove the wheel well cover, plastic piece that goes from the rear or the wheel well to the front bumper you will get the filter wet. Will there be enough water splashed on it to hurt, no but it can bog you down. For more info go to AEM's forums. It's been discussed a lot there.

Also you pretty much have to cover the filter to suck in the water. Water is heavier than air so the water has to cover about 65-75% of the filter. AEM also has the bypass valve and so do most other units.

CUL8R
13-07-2006, 02:24 PM
the filter has to be completely submerged. are u planning to be driving through puddles this big???
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=700367#post700367

Slow96GSR
13-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Awesome, I knew you guys had to have a link to a thread here with this info... every car forum has people that ask about this and have had it answered 100 times!!

CUL8R
13-07-2006, 05:28 PM
yeah thats why i wrote that thread out bro ;)

corn_flakes
13-07-2006, 05:53 PM
mmm...sorry peeps...

i must be sh!thouse at searching...lol

iced
13-07-2006, 09:49 PM
injen has a new water sock that covers the filter

thats an aem product.
www.aempower.com

as long as the filter is not too low cold air intake is fine.

dont drive thru floods.
and if the filter gets wet due to water on the road flicking up on it it will get dirty very quick.
also if you drive like a hoon in heavy rain expect to have water come in the inatke system.

there is no problem with a little droplets.
however i have had my pod get drenched with water when driving in heavy rain with high rpm. the pod is very restrictive and i felt like it was gonna hydrolock but it was just that it was so wet and trying to suck air that wasnt there.
this is because my splashguard is not there though.

overall there is no problem with cold air intake.

all cold air intake products for honda on the market are perfectly fine with 'normal wet weather driving'. just dont driving thru a a huge puddle reving at 5000rpm because the filter will suck up water. it say make the car seem like its going to stall or if it is a real big puddle and you a driving the car very hard it may even stall and can cause hydrolock.
other than that its very hard to hydrolock a car unless you SUBMERGE the the filter and rev it hard.

aem, injen, and the many other brands and copies other there are perfectly fine.