PDA

View Full Version : Engine Troubles (DC2R)

wlan-11g
13-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm new to these boards. Just recently my 99ITR engine died, not sure why, either way my mechanic says it needs a bottom end rebuild. I haven't opened up the engine to see the extent of the engine. I'm stumped why it happened. Maybe something hit the sump? Or loss in oil pressure.

Anyways my question is, what apart from the bearings and machining the crank, what else would need to be done? How bad do you guys think the damage is?

Thanks

[[d a n n y]]
13-07-2006, 04:00 PM
depends on the damage really.
unless u take apart the engine.
found out what's wrng with your engine.
the parts needed could vary.
if your car detonated.
there is a fair chance that u might have damaged your head as welll.
if it's a spun bearing then u can probably just get away with a bottom end rebild.

it is wise to use all new parts not 2nd hand parts ie
Pistons, rings, etc

ECU-MAN
13-07-2006, 10:53 PM
does you sump have a big ass dent in it ???

TODA AU
14-07-2006, 04:44 PM
You will proably need new rods also.
Limit of crank machining is 0.010" or 0.25mm
After that it's in the bin.
Also, if it's blue, it's bent.

You'll need to rebuild the whole thing if you've run a bearing also, as there will be little bits of bearing crap through everything.
You'll even find it in the Vtec filter.
Be sure you do the job properly or it'll cost you double to have to do it again.

wlan-11g
14-07-2006, 05:04 PM
does you sump have a big ass dent in it ???

Yeah had a look under the car, sump appears to be damaged.
So what am I looking for in terms of rebuilding?

Rods, pistons? bearings? Anything else I'm missing?

Professional
15-07-2006, 12:13 AM
You need to compare the 2nd engine and re-build cost.

yfin
15-07-2006, 02:05 AM
hey sorry to hear about your troubles. I am curious to know whether your car was stock or not and whether you have tracked it. Also how many kms on the odo? Serviced regularly?

1999 is not that long ago and I thought Honda engines were stronger than that...

Terrible One
15-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Doesn't have much to do with the actual age of it. Alot can happen in 7 years. Could just be a lack of servicing. I see it happen all the time.

Slow96GSR
15-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Doesn't have much to do with the actual age of it. Alot can happen in 7 years. Could just be a lack of servicing. I see it happen all the time.

Could have mashed up the pan and covered the oil pick up and cause there to be a lack of oil and a loss of pressure. This could cause a part to seize and ruin a motor.

1st pull it apart and figure out what is bad and what can be reused. If the sump it all that is bent, I doubt you bent a main cap, then all you need is a new pan, sump/pick-up, pan gasket. Since I guess you are saying that the bottom end is trashed you will then need piston rings, main and rod bearings, crank polishing, cylinder hone, and a line honing for the crankshaft if there are "burn" marks on the block. It wouldn't hurt to check the head to see if any debris made its way up there. As I said earlier find out what is bad before you go buy a bunch of parts you don't need. Restocking fees can be a lot.

Find out what is bad then post it up. Everyone here will be happy to help you figure out everything you need to get.