PDA

View Full Version : Import a civic?

chigga
13-07-2006, 06:08 PM
This is an age old question for me, i have been told civic type r's cannot be imported because of compliance costs or something. Is this true?

Zdster
13-07-2006, 06:11 PM
This is an age old question for me, i have been told civic type r's cannot be imported because of compliance costs or something. Is this true?

As I understand it, it is not so much due to cost, but rather restrictions on ownership. That being said there are a few running around Australia that have been imported.

Please do a search, as I know that this has been covered on more than one occassion.

DreadAngel
13-07-2006, 06:33 PM
I think the CTR doesn't meet the SEVS requirement, I don't know all about SEVS but from memory there are a few requirements, off the top of my head there is:

- Power to Weight Ratio restriction
- Needs to be special and unique to Australia ie can't have similar models or cars in Australia
- Must meet the ADR and Safety Regs
- No Modifications allowed (Mild mods passable but moderate and heavy modded cars are a big no no...)

Well here is a link to help you out here:
http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/safety/road/bulletin/importing.aspx

BRU51N
13-07-2006, 07:07 PM
from what ive heard, u can import modified cars, if u own the car for 3yrs or something, and u can import it through under as a personal import.

eg. u need to own the car in japan for something like 3 years, then you'll be able to import it under your name into australia with mods even, as a personal import.

not exactly sure on it, though... i looked into it when i was thinking of importing a modified car back in the days.

Encor3
13-07-2006, 07:11 PM
from what ive heard, u can import modified cars, if u own the car for 3yrs or something, and u can import it through under as a personal import.

eg. u need to own the car in japan for something like 3 years, then you'll be able to import it under your name into australia with mods even, as a personal import.

not exactly sure on it, though... i looked into it when i was thinking of importing a modified car back in the days.
thought it was 1 year not 3. ready to take that claim back though

matt
13-07-2006, 07:38 PM
yeah i thought i was one year for personal imports.

BRU51N
13-07-2006, 07:51 PM
i took a guess on the years. hahaehe i knew it was under 3, close enough..

BLKek
13-07-2006, 07:51 PM
yeah, and you have to prove residency to I believe..

dan_lee
13-07-2006, 09:11 PM
when i checked up on importing an EG6 last time this is what i found out:

u can't import a civic for the simple reason being that they were sold here in full volume. even tho the eg6 and ek9 wasn't, the same shape was imported in full volume which makes u unable to import one personally. this is unless u've owned the car in japan for 12 months and bring it in as a personal import.

following this, don't ask whey s15's are able to be imported as they were also sold here in full volume. someone else may be able to answer that.

Zdster
13-07-2006, 09:17 PM
following this, don't ask whey s15's are able to be imported as they were also sold here in full volume. someone else may be able to answer that.

As I understand it, the s15's that were imported, were done so before the Australian s15 was released.

DreadAngel
14-07-2006, 07:24 AM
when i checked up on importing an EG6 last time this is what i found out:

u can't import a civic for the simple reason being that they were sold here in full volume. even tho the eg6 and ek9 wasn't, the same shape was imported in full volume which makes u unable to import one personally. this is unless u've owned the car in japan for 12 months and bring it in as a personal import.

Yeah, I guess that's why it doesn't satisfy being a 'special' vehicle :thumbdwn:

Jomsy
14-07-2006, 08:21 AM
just a small point, under sevs if a publication "ie magazine" runs a feature story the car sort of becomes eligable because of the public interest in tha
car, its in the fine print someplace

weezer
14-07-2006, 09:42 AM
As I understand it, the s15's that were imported, were done so before the Australian s15 was released.

You can import S15s the years that they werent available here. Example. They started selling S15s here in 99-00 so you could import S15s pre 99-00

Same goes with RX7s. You can import anything after 99 when the stopped selling them here.

Klayemore
14-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I WISH i could import a Type R Civic. Man would that be awesome.

92DELSOL
14-07-2006, 05:05 PM
u can now import the ep3 type r...just not ek9

DreadAngel
14-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Yep, EP3 qualifies because the EP3 body is unique to Australia as Australia has only Sedans of that year model...

Terrible One
14-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Yes, the EP3 Type R is on the SEVS register but no RAWS workshops yet have gone through the process to bring one in.

I researched this a fair bit, I've imported a Stagea and soon some R33's to sell. Just wish I could bring in a EK Type R.

chigga
14-07-2006, 08:25 PM
mmmm ek i guess that goes for the same as the jdm itr

dan_lee
15-07-2006, 08:28 AM
You can import S15s the years that they werent available here. Example. They started selling S15s here in 99-00 so you could import S15s pre 99-00

Same goes with RX7s. You can import anything after 99 when the stopped selling them here.

ahh so that's how it works. u CAN import a car which was sold here but not during its production run in australia.

DreadAngel
15-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Yep, thats so it qualifies for its specialty/unique/rarity to the Australian market but of course you could always go with the personal import 1 year of ownership hehe

Terrible One
15-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Not as easy as it sounds, you need to prove that the car has been driven etc.

kongfu
15-07-2006, 04:27 PM
You can import EK9 and EP3 into Australia. But it must be private import.
You gotta have been owned 1 year in overseas at least then you can bring to here.