PDA

View Full Version : Question about splits speakers!!!!

lixin
13-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi guys,
I'm planning to upgrade my front speakers, but I don't want to buy Amp, can I run splits speakers directly from my original factory HU, the speakers are MB Quart RVF 216, the Power Handling is 70 - 140 W, but the power output of my HU is 40w per channel, and the real output is probably around 20w per channel, so if I run the speakers without Amp, will it be any problem? will it blow the speakers?

vividjazz
13-07-2006, 08:39 PM
If the head unit is 40W per channel thats about 8W-10W RMS per channel. Not going to run 70W RMS speakers very well. Amp power doesn't just mean volume it means control = sound quality.

You will blow the speakers if you drive the amp into clipping trying to make it do something it is not capable of in a pointless attempt to make sound come out of speakers it can't possibly drive. Be like putting the engine from a Nikki in a Hummer.

lixin
13-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks for your quick reply vividjazz, as you said" Not going to run 70W RMS speakers very well." you mean the sound quality will not be very good, but it will not make any damage to the speakers, isn't it ?

btw, my car is Jazz, same as yours.

tRipitaka
13-07-2006, 08:50 PM
i believe he means that you're not going to be using the full potential of the speakers.

lixin
13-07-2006, 09:02 PM
i believe he means that you're not going to be using the full potential of the speakers.

yes, I understand that.
But the thing is, If I buy an amp, it will be out of my budget, I'm going to get the speakers first, use it with the HU for a while, and for next stage, I will get an amp. So what I'm wondering is if I run this speakers with my HU, will it be any damage to the speakers? will the new speakers still produce a reasonable sound without amp?

Duesta
13-07-2006, 09:12 PM
if ur gonna get the amp later, either save your money and get it all in one hit, or buy now and leave it till u get an amp, cos your sound quality wont be much better than what you have now considering the limitation of your stock h/u, you'll really be limiting the quality of the new speakers

shinji112
13-07-2006, 10:16 PM
get a new headunit.. than amp and splits stock headunits IMO are horrible.. u have no idea how much of a difference a Pioneer or JVC headunit makes (even on stock speakers) hell u might end up happy with the sound quality after that!

integraz
14-07-2006, 09:01 AM
yeah get a new headunit, then get your speakers later

EGB18CT
14-07-2006, 11:16 AM
u wont damage the speakers, but u will limit the sound quality potential ie. when u start to crank them they will distort earlier. u can run the speakers fine tho but dont expect much performance even though the are a very nice split! wack then in they will be fine, but do get a headunit something in the 50w range like alpine/eclipse etc... and all u need is a 2 channel amp between 80w - 125w rms and those speakers will come to life and be a pleasure to listen to. u dont really need a big 4ch amp as it is a small car and u should concentrate on the front stage as being the main speakers and just adding some little "rear fill" check out caraudioaustralia.com you will find heaps of info there.... sorry for dribbling on!

SiReal
14-07-2006, 11:55 AM
I currently run clairon 6" slimlines and pioneer 6x9 on my stock headunit for that stealth look. I am extremely happy with the performance. much crisper sound. I know it will sound better wtih aftermarket headunit but my thoughts are upgrade to splits first (i chose weak ass speakers to accomodate weak ass HU), then if ur happy, leave as is.

lixin
14-07-2006, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't be able to change my HU, since it is integrated. And SiReal, is your clairon 6" splits or coax? what are the power handling for your speakers?

SiReal
14-07-2006, 12:13 PM
they are coax - but still they make a big difference imo. Power handling? geee to be honest, i can't tell you mate. I dont know. They cost me $80 on special. Reason why i got them was i wanted to fit them in the honda slimline speaker cradle. they had pioneer slimlines as well, but i thought i'd mix it up abit. the guy at the shop said that to the untrained ear (like me), a 2 or 3 way coax wouldnt make much difference but a split will (cos the tweeter), will - in some ways, i'd prefer a coax cos the treble for the splits might be a bit harsh for everyday listening.

Also, just think of all the hassle to install splits, amps, and all that. cant be bothered :)

EDIT: I think they were around 120W - 150W (on the box), nothing more.

vividjazz
14-07-2006, 07:11 PM
btw, my car is Jazz, same as yours.

But my head unit is not the same as I got the audio double DIN for the Jazz and gave the shocker stocker head unit the kibosh. Its only capable of running the factory speakers which require a microscope to find the magnets on the back.
http://imgboot.com/images/vividjazz/deckfinal1.jpg (http://imgboot.com/)

And here is a comparision between an aftermarket speaker and the factory speakers.
http://imgboot.com/images/vividjazz/midrangecomparisonmagnet1.jpg (http://imgboot.com/)

lixin
14-07-2006, 11:26 PM
That's good. Where did you get the double DIN from? How much?

vividjazz
15-07-2006, 08:29 AM
That's good. Where did you get the double DIN from? How much?

example
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220004111807&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT&rd=1

JaCe
15-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Wow you're getting MBQ speakers but can't afford an amp!?...

Anyhow, I remember hearing that underpowering your speakers and cranking up your HU can lead to DC current (instead of AC) causing your speakers to become damaged... can anyone explain this?

Btw I'm getting some MBQ installed soon in my Civic. From what I've gathered, a lot of these higher-end speakers (well not that high end, but better than the typical sub-$100 speakers from Stratty) require amplification to get anything out of them; and without an amp, you're wasting your money.

integraz
15-07-2006, 09:42 PM
any speakers with a dedicated amp, will run much better.

Well get the best speakers which u can get, then theres always time to get the amp later, u don't have to buy the amp straight away, u never know you might be happy with it running off the head unit.

OFFTOPIC:
Also, VIVIDJAZZ, is that the Crossifre SX6.0?
If so, how do they sound? any good?

lixin
15-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Wow you're getting MBQ speakers but can't afford an amp!?...

yes, that is why I can't afford an amp, I put all of my budget on speakers, haha, coz I really like the sound from MBQ.
I will get an amp later.

JaCe
16-07-2006, 12:56 AM
I can see where you're coming from... at one stage I was gonna get the MBQ or RF and power them off my HU; but then after hearing it on a HU which had heaps more power than my HU did anyway; I knew it wouldn't sound good. Too shrill, not enough power to drive, etc...

I think you really should wait until you can get an amp- even if it's not the best one (although logic tells you if you're using MBQ speakers; you should have good quality stuff in between your HU and your speakers), it'll be better than running it off HU. I'm also inclined to think the gain/improvement from your stock system will be marginal/barely noticable.

EuroDude
16-07-2006, 01:00 AM
I upgraded my stock 6" speakers to 5.25" Bostons (2way, not splits) and lost virtually all the bass in the front, although the mids and highs were of better quality. But a subwoofer takes care of the lost bass problem ;)

So basically if you have an amp in the back powering a sub and decent 6x9's, you dont really need an amp to power the fronts. All you need to do is adjust the front/rear fading to balance the audio delivery, and its all good :)

pizza_boy
16-07-2006, 03:15 AM
isn't same deal with speakers as with sub?
i think same, cause anyway sub is a speaker, so when you underpowering a speaker, it's not "moving" properly, so what happens, cause of underpower, speaker comes into supposed position a bit later, but it should be already in start position, so it actually damages speaker...
my english is pretty bad, so if you guys didn't understand what i'm talking about, i'll try to find an article on net:)

i had 1600 wt boss amp, which was 160 or 180 bucks new, powering infinity splits on front(90 rms) and in back set of pioneers(60 rms i think) whole set cost you round 600, had a shitty panasonic HU, u could hear my trebles easily for 30 m with traffic e.t.c. with closed windows, but you do this for 30 sec, 1 min, then turn it off till next day)))

so i think just get a usual set of pioneer splits, don't get bothered with amp, or a get a proper sound system, otherwise don't see a point at all;)

So basically if you have an amp in the back powering a sub and decent 6x9's, you dont really need an amp to power the fronts. All you need to do is adjust the front/rear fading to balance the audio delivery, and its all good :)

from what i've heard, what i've seen, not a best thing to use 6x9's and sub in a back at same moment, cause nice 6x9's cost a lot, so for that money better to get nice set of 6 1/2 and 8 or 10 inch sub with amp, and then you'll get a best bass quality:)
and i think is better to adjust amps than a HU fading...

so, my point is, or save up 1,5-2 grand and get a nice basic sound, or if you know things, save up 800-1000, get a used things, or if you want just a bit better sound, get a set of basic splits, but for any sound system u need to tune it well, otherwise :zip:

p.s. never wrote so a lot of words in english at once, hope it understantable:p

vividjazz
16-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Also, VIVIDJAZZ, is that the Crossifre SX6.0?
If so, how do they sound? any good?

Its the Crossfire X6. Their top of the range splits with Titanium tweeters. Sound from a $500 range speaker that matches a lot of $1,000 range speakers. But as with all speakers type of sound is very personal. They need a minimum 75W RMSx2 to drive them.

Back on topic
If on a really tight budget then run a set of 6x9s and no sub or other speakers. The whole idea of 6x9s is to be a compromise between 6s and a small sub. You defeat their purpose with a sub. Subs require amps so if there isn't the budget for a amp to power the fronts then there is not likely to be the budget for a big enough amp to power a decent sub.

integraz
16-07-2006, 09:21 AM
yeah, funny that EURODUDE.
When i put some coaxils in my rears, the bass was all gone.
Can anyone explain that, and its usaually happens in coaxils, i dont think split systems are like that

EuroDude
16-07-2006, 11:43 AM
yeah, funny that EURODUDE.
When i put some coaxils in my rears, the bass was all gone.
Can anyone explain that, and its usaually happens in coaxils, i dont think split systems are like that

I think they cut off the bass to increase the quality of the mids and highs, and to complement a subwoofer.
If a single speaker outputs a wide frequency range, sound quality suffers.

JaCe
16-07-2006, 10:18 PM
I think coaxials/splits are supposed to compliment sub... even the RF brochure says that is what their speakers are for.

I remember noticing this back when I thought I would improve my SQ in my car by just replacing stock speakers with expensive splits.