PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

Dy_
14-07-2006, 12:38 AM
My brother owns a Holden Cruze and lately his been saying when he breaks and almost gets to a stop the WHOLE care shakes. Feels like the car is stalling but WORSE and its an automatic car. This only happens occassionaly not everytime. I've checked the brakes and they're fine. Theres still brake fluid. I dont know what is wrong with it. If someone could please help me out it'd help alot! Thanks heaps. Sorry im a real noob with my cars.

Iwishiwasa Type R
14-07-2006, 01:23 AM
are you sure the brakes dont need machining?

Dy_
14-07-2006, 01:24 AM
well the machanic said the breaks were at 25% left. even so worn out breaks wouldnt make the car shake that bad would it?

Iwishiwasa Type R
14-07-2006, 01:31 AM
run your hand across your discs, from the centre (axle) out (rim). Do this before driving coz they get really hot... if it feels lumpy then yes, you need to machine them.

Dy_
14-07-2006, 10:23 AM
ok i've just done it and there are no lumps? I took the car to the mechanics today, the guy test drove it but found nothing wrong with it. Also it hasnt happen again for 2 days. The mechanic told me to bring it back when it gets worse so he can figure out whats wrong.

Fr3aKi3
14-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Maybe the brake rotors are warped....

Dy_
14-07-2006, 10:37 AM
What does that mean? is there a way i could check? i really dont know much about cars.

SiReal
14-07-2006, 10:47 AM
i have a similiar problem on my mums corolla but it doest shake like urs. it vibrates subtly. and its the brake disc being warped. maybe one of the wheels arent put on tight enough? we had that issue. tightened them up and the vibration was less, but still there (prob permanent disc warpage)

maybe get ur auto box chekced out as well/not enough tranmission fluiD?

DreadAngel
14-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Warping refers to the brake rotor going out of shape so to speak, to check this take off your friend's rims then check to see if the brake rotors line up, if its not straight then its warped, I don't think that is repairable either if its warped...

Has anything been done to the brakes like change of pads or anything? Maybe something was fitted the wrong way around... Can't remember but I'm pretty sure it was the pads I put on the wrong way before my friend showed me how to tell its on the right way...

Dy_
14-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks alot everyone. The breaks havnt been changed recently but my brother tells me he has been doing power slides around turns. could that be the cause? Also DreadAngel you mentioned it not being repairable? does that mean theres no way or fixing it?

Fr3aKi3
14-07-2006, 11:12 AM
lol... power slides and hard turning in a holden cruze...

Don't know if you can machine warped rotors or not but worst case scenario would be that your bro will need to get new rotors.

Dy_
14-07-2006, 11:22 AM
lol i know power slides on a holden cruze -__-

How much would it cost for new rotors?

Limbo
14-07-2006, 11:29 AM
generally you wrap rotors when you cool them down too fast like they are hot and you drive thru a big puddle of water.

Just take off the wheel and spin the rotors and see if you can see any uneveness in the rotors. Rotors cost on a honda about $150 - $300 each depending on type and style you want.

Dy_
15-07-2006, 12:26 AM
oh alright. thanks alot everyone! i'll go check it out tomorrow morning.