PDA

View Full Version : Valve Vent Filter?

CAT_SPEW
11-05-2004, 07:57 PM
I have seen a few engine bay shots with a smaller version of the average pod filter stuck on the valve cover vent of B-series engines.

My dad talked to a few people at a few Honda places and they say not to do it as it can mess a few things up? I can't remember exactly but they told us that the hose that is their sucks air out of the inside of the head or something????

Can anyone tell me whether it will hurt my engine if I do this?

wynode
11-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Its called the crank case breather hose.

Just putting a 'smaller version of the average pod filter' on there is illegal as you have to vent that back into the intake manifold.

CAT_SPEW
11-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks for explaining that Wyn. I have come to realise that most things done to modify your car are illegal, from not enclosing your pod filter or having wheels that are too big etc.

If you could tell me if it would harm my engine in any way I would really appreciate it?

VTEC16
11-05-2004, 09:37 PM
I dont think it would hurt your engine.....but it would sure make a mess of your engine bay!

See also 'oil catch can'

wynode
11-05-2004, 09:41 PM
It won't harm you engine gut it will make a bit of a mess as said. That said, less oil in the combustion chamber is a good thing......but not worth it for a street driven car.

alan
12-05-2004, 12:54 AM
so what does an oil catch can do

bennjamin
12-05-2004, 01:05 AM
so what does an oil catch can do

The same thing as this "atmospheric vent" does - removes excess oil from the combustion process.

A street legal and clean way to make ur car more efficient.

CAT_SPEW
12-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Cool, thanks. :)