PDA

View Full Version : brake pad issues

1900-hustler
15-07-2006, 02:05 PM
jus last wednesday i took my car for a major service and pad change (all round) @ hannys.. i chose to fit the aftermarket pads which they stock, aust disc brakes (adb).

immediately the braking was improved so i was like cool. but then about 10 mins into my drive home i noticed it was making noise.. and not jus a slight squeal .. kinda loud coming from the left rear.. and its only wen i slightly touch the brakes.. no sound on hard braking.. this kept goin all the way home..

i jus told myself it was normal.. like its jus abit of brake noise and stuff and itll go away..

but wen i got home i could smell something weird.. kinda like a mix of burnt rubber and metal.. which i was then like wtf.. that aint normal.. i went drivin again and same story.. and the smell.. its startin to worry me..

i kno this description is kinda vauge but can anyone give any ideas to what it is.. the old pads dint even make this much noise.. im guessin its the pads.. i mean its not like these are race pads so i assume there would be little or no noise at all

maybe wasnt lubed up properly...

any ideas...?

thanks for any help..

ps sorry for long post. :o

FR33K
15-07-2006, 02:24 PM
probably just the smell of new brake pads.

and those brake pads are really crap... brake hard once ur twice and the next time you go to brake the car wont stop :)

rollin_high
15-07-2006, 05:46 PM
na i have the same pads in a friends car yes the are noise because of the compound,nothing you can do,thats why there so cheap i quess,really the only way to fix it is to put genine pads.

THE_MASS
17-07-2006, 06:58 AM
the noise that your hearing is definatley the brakes. when you purchase new brakes you need to give them time to be "beded" in. which means settled in. this normally happens for about the first few thousand kms...
now if this keeps going then you'll prolly need to get it checked out.
aslong as your stopping ok, then that all you need to worry about :D and if your stil worried about the noise then change your pads:D:D

aaronng
17-07-2006, 02:28 PM
It's not meant to make a burning smell though. I think the hand brake cable might be too tight.

stanleym
17-07-2006, 02:32 PM
i got this problem aswell

changed brakes and rotors on thursday...

went for drive (scared the hell out of me ) brakes were smoking a bit and smelt like train brakes alsohad the grinding noise

but all gone away now

TRU32U
17-07-2006, 09:34 PM
smell is cause its brand new pads theres a layer of crap on the outside dw itll go away but if u keep braking hard for like 5 mins then itll come back, dw this is normal... i had steam comming outta the pads before and was all good.
jus relax btw it smells like the train tracks eh? like that smell

1900-hustler
18-07-2006, 02:14 AM
yea the smell has gone.. the sound hasnt tho.. il jus give it abit more time. then prolly check em out myself on the weekend

supernatural
18-07-2006, 02:25 AM
the sound will not go away... tats the thing u have to put up with using an aftermarket pads...

after market pads makes noise on the oem rotors... i would assume when u brake hard there isnt any noise?? then its perfectly normal... if u dont want the sound... use stock pads... :)

when u get performance... u lose comfort... its like making ur car faster and hardcore... u cant expect it to be quiet and comfortable... sacrafices need to be made... :D

CUL8R
18-07-2006, 02:48 AM
when u get performance... u lose comfort... its like making ur car faster and hardcore... u cant expect it to be quiet and comfortable... sacrafices need to be made... :D
yeah not always tho. i spent heaps on having EBC redstuff pads on all four corners and DAYAM i just cant get them to fade!!! as for smell and noise, theres none!
the way i see it u cant really skimp on sussy, tyres and brakes. i spent alot on my redstuffs (cant remember so dont ask) but there are no regrets at all, next ones will be EBC redstuff for sure.

vtml
18-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Redstuff is great, and they do not carry a heavy price tag like Project Mu, well at least that's what I found out last time when I was trying to source brake pads.