PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT HALO ANGEL EYE, Converting rings for more brightness

fadz
15-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Okay well heres what im upto...not sure if anyone here has done such a conversion but iv had the time to rip my aftermarket halo headlights apart and check and see what can make the halo rings stronger...so i replaced the LED's with much bigger ones, to my suprise didnt even make a difference seeing, the ones that come with the halo rings already were little baby LED's, so now im thinking it would be the actual ring itself i could perhaps change, what rings would be better that would bring out the brightness more any help would be great thanks :D
or if anyone else has another idea on perhaps more powerful LEDS....

Sexc86
15-07-2006, 06:42 PM
sounds like a good idea mate, maybe do a DIY with photos especially on how to pull them apart and access the LEDs, as a WANKER copper did me because they are apparently "BLUE" or some bullshit like that, so now i have to change my leds to a "Warm White" rather then the standard "Cool White"

fadz
15-07-2006, 07:48 PM
iv been told ccfl rings would do the job, does anyone know were to get them from....

saxman
15-07-2006, 07:56 PM
iv been told ccfl rings would do the job, does anyone know were to get them from....
search ebay for ccfl computer fan or cold cathode fan... super cheap for a computer fan with a ccfl ring on it. You have to make sure to get the correct diameter though.

something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/8cm-GREEN-ROUND-COLD-CATHODE-xbox-or-pc-fan-grill_W0QQitemZ8276097285QQihZ020QQcategoryZ111753 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

fadz
15-07-2006, 08:00 PM
thanks man...i doubt supercheap would sell ccfl computer fans lol...il giv em a go anyways
if i end up findin em anyways...wuld they be strong enough to make my headlight cover melt seeing thats plastic???

saxman
15-07-2006, 08:02 PM
sorry, didn't realize there was a company called "super cheap"... was just saying that they're quite cheap

as for melting your headlights and such... no... cold cathode lights put off very little heat. They will be much brighter than your current led set up

fadz
15-07-2006, 08:05 PM
ye they sure will...lol it was funny i was thinking replacing the little baby LED's that were in ther...to much bigger LED's they would bring more of a brightness but to no avail...so back to the thinking table...ccfl seems like best way to go, il either hav to get custom made ones made up or sumfn..hopefully shouldn be a headache.

saxman
15-07-2006, 08:08 PM
custom ones will cost a good bit more than the ones in the comp fans... do you know the diameter of your led rings?

fadz
15-07-2006, 08:45 PM
na im gna hav to find out man,wat r they usually? theres two rings ones small, ones bit bigger mayb bout 6 cm and 8?

saxman
16-07-2006, 03:45 AM
the comp fans normally come in 8 cm... although I don't recall the actual diameter of the ring... I'll measure later

fadz
16-07-2006, 09:14 AM
would anyone know if a computer shop would take a request for custom made ccfl rings???
surely someone on here knows a buddy working in a computer shop :D

fadz
16-07-2006, 08:48 PM
bump anyone :P
do sign writer shops do these sort of little projects?

Nuttz
16-07-2006, 09:08 PM
how about using multiple LEDs?

EGB16A
16-07-2006, 10:43 PM
how about using multiple LEDs?

not realy gonna make much differnce. The standard angel eyes use two small leds, there is enough room for two 5mm LED's and nothing else.

Fadz man, i;ll stard hunting around for some CCFL's

fadz
17-07-2006, 11:02 AM
ye thnx lloyd...im lookin around myself...

fadz
17-07-2006, 06:29 PM
okay for anyone interested to know how my project is going...i suggest dont bother trying to do such a thing....ccfl as rings is so much harder then i thought...ud need a transformer to get them working etc etc, so il go back to LED'S for now...and get a close look into wat LED's will actually give mor brightness..il keep uz informed, but not looking to good atm.

Rico
17-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Hey man can you explain how you took the angel eye headlight apart? cause all my halos have blown and i cant seem to open it :S
hopefully all the SONAR (if thats the brand you got) halo angel eyes are all designed the same for each car.

fadz
17-07-2006, 06:48 PM
u gota heat up one section to create an opening and then as i did, i chiselled all the rest of the glue out, then u can get to the halo rings and change ur LEDS ENJOY!!!

saxman
17-07-2006, 07:04 PM
okay for anyone interested to know how my project is going...i suggest dont bother trying to do such a thing....ccfl as rings is so much harder then i thought...ud need a transformer to get them working etc etc, so il go back to LED'S for now...and get a close look into wat LED's will actually give mor brightness..il keep uz informed, but not looking to good atm.
the computer fan ccfl rings come with a transformer that runs on a 12v source... what your car runs on. You can tap directly in to headlight power supply(or corner lights, or whatever)

fadz
17-07-2006, 08:01 PM
thats true man...but im goin to have to get the rings custom made...to fit..thats the dilema if u get me....
how can i work around that?

saxman
17-07-2006, 08:10 PM
what diameter do you need?

fadz
17-07-2006, 08:29 PM
i measured one of the rings, the biggest ring was 8 and a half cm
id say the smaller one was about 6 cm?
id have to measure to be sure...you hinting you can get that done bro...

fadz
17-07-2006, 08:38 PM
okay just measured em to be accurate, the big ring is 8 and a half cm, and the smaller one is 7 cm, so if i was to get ccfl id need 2 7 cm rings and one 8 and a half cm ring , thats for each headlight...hope that helps.

saxman
18-07-2006, 03:22 AM
the 80mm computer fan ccfl rings measure in at 8.5725cm, so they should fit perfectly

the 7cm ones may prove a bit more difficult

fadz
18-07-2006, 08:39 AM
anyone who can get ther hands on 7 cm ccfl rings please let me know asap thanks :D