PDA

View Full Version : New to Type R. Few questions

aiYa
16-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Ive found a Type R dc2 that im thinkin of purchasing, bt have a few questions first.

Is the cabin noise really loud whilst driving as the reviews say?
How to tell that it is a genuine type r?
Are the type R's all suppose to hav red coloured calipers? (as the one i looked at didnt)
What are common issues with it?
Anything in particular i should look at when purchasing one?

Thank you

destrukshn
16-07-2006, 07:51 PM
i don't think they came with coloured calipers.

gelo
16-07-2006, 08:16 PM
yes its loud because theres no sound deadening
its part of the joy of a type R - try reving it above 5800rpm
type R has 5 stud brakes (huge) with full recaro interior
oem calipers are not coloured
common issues ill leave it to the tyep R boys
what to look for - tyre wear, any stange noises, km's, int/ext condition and mods

Iwishiwasa Type R
16-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Best thing to do is bring someone that has had a dc2r to come see the car and/or a mechanic. And after that get it inspected on a hoist by either the same mechanic or NRMA.

little things I picked up :
the steering should be firm and direct, the gear throws should feel short. Its just as easy to turn right at a round-about in third gear as it is in second.

check for usual type r goodies. b18c7, LSD, strut, rear sway, recaros etc.

You could also check the build plate info and compare it with other Rs that have posted. If someone else has the same number it may be a little fishy. http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=310190&page=4

As for road noise, you wont go deaf. Its not exactly a E class merc either. Abit of tyre squell and engine noise is really a great part to the appeal of the car.

great choice.. You will love it.. :thumbsup:

Chuckz
16-07-2006, 11:27 PM

this u can probably do a search on the forum, been covered before

calipers are not red

issues, some people mite like to touch ur car, and may steal ur badges or seats

arron
17-07-2006, 02:14 AM
Is the cabin really loud?:

yes, its pretty loud mainly due to the reduced amound of sound deadening used throughout the car.

Some ways to spot a genuine type R:

All the inserts of air con vents, and around the DIN's and air conditioning controls are faux (fake) carbon fibre except for the passenger side air vent. Strange but true

Steering is extremely heavy, almost impossible to feel safe while one hand steering

Brakes are great. May be sensitive to the new owner at first.

Common Issues: I've heard numerous accounts and even experienced the syncro for 3rd to 4th gear being a tad worn. This creates crunching when changing gears, especially in the higher RPMS. This doesnt realli cause that much of a problem so it should be fine.

Other than that, not much coz its a very well engineered car

air23box
17-07-2006, 07:07 AM
where do you locate bro.....may try to get someone to go to inspect the car with you?

Jomsy
17-07-2006, 08:23 AM
the cabin is loud compaired to the new BMW's the roadtesters drive, its all relative, but in real world conditions you are hard pressed to notice it that much, its no were near as bad as some people make it out to be

also the stock calipers are like a fadded gold colour

VTECACCORD
17-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Steering heavy ?

Not when your running volks and spoon calipers/ rotors. If you drop 10kg on each wheel steering is extremely light, so just depends on the car, and the mods.

Zilli
17-07-2006, 09:47 AM
if you love to drive you'll love this car and youll ignore the road noise and the rattles caused by the firm suspension from the factory.

There are problems with the clutch getting squeaky caused by input shaft bearings and clutch forks. The cluthc with cop abuse in the car like this so check theres enough meat in the clutch, and check the drivetrain ie gearbox, cv's etc.

ITR doesnt come with painted calipers

Justified
17-07-2006, 11:59 AM
i also noticed some dc2r's have sorta gold calipers..is that right?

gelo
17-07-2006, 12:50 PM
i also noticed some dc2r's have sorta gold calipers..is that right?

true
when they are new
they are goldish
but as they age and oxidise they become just grey/silver

xzbit
17-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Have a look at this

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46075

was posted a little while ago on things to look for to tell if its a real type R!

Hope it helps and good luck!

dc2r
17-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Is the cabin noise really loud whilst driving as the reviews say?
It is louder than other cars due to no sound deadening, however you get used to it and it sounds so sweet...

B18C7 engine with LSD, badge number under handbrake, recaro seats, 5 lug wheels, full interior (steering wheel, cf inserts, etc), and easiest way is to bring an ITR owner with you to inspect and drive it...

Are the type R's all suppose to hav red coloured calipers? (as the one i looked at didnt)
They're not supposed to have coloured calipers AND the 1999 and 2000 model ITR had grey calipers, whereas the 2001 models had their calipers "gold" plated to prevent rust...

What are common issues with it?
There shouldn't really be any as it is a well built car. But theft of badges and seats is a common issue... Gears crunching and eating oil is two of the most common issues I hear about, but most should have no issues at all...

Anything in particular i should look at when purchasing one?
Check that it has been serviced every 10000 kms, but most ITR owners do at least an oil change every 5000kms.

aiYa
17-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Thanks for everyones reply.

Im going to have the car checked out by my mechanic tomorrow. Will ask for a full compression check and so forth. Hopefully it all goes through well with no problems.

1900-hustler
18-07-2006, 02:18 AM
should save urself a few hundred by jus gettin someone who has owned an ITR and can test it for you.. compression tests are a waste cos u can easily tell urself if the cylinders arent firing properly..

jus get the normal road inspection if u really want.. but screw the comp test

Q_ball
18-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Try this thread,

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18699

Basically answers majority or questions to do with ALL Integras.
If that doesnt help, try the threads that ppl have posted up for ya.

Search is ur best friend :)

Diablo6298
18-07-2006, 06:38 PM
they also dont have a sunroof, thats a pretty good way to start off =]

Iwishiwasa Type R
18-07-2006, 06:42 PM
they also dont have a sunroof, thats a pretty good way to start off =]

mine does... it comes as a dealer option after the car hits australian shores.. but your right.. straight from the factory they do not have sunroofs.

mrwillz
18-07-2006, 08:42 PM
carbon fibre except for the passenger side air vent. Strange but true

lol yeah
its a weird one, like they forgot one side only
in every type r its like that

Diablo6298
18-07-2006, 08:46 PM
mine does... it comes as a dealer option after the car hits australian shores.. but your right.. straight from the factory they do not have sunroofs.
didnt know that, ive never seen a real type r with a sunroof. but they are cool so i dont know why you wouldnt want one ;)

dan_lee
18-07-2006, 11:14 PM
take one for a drive.

when i took one for a drive, i didn't mind the cabin noise, suspension setup or steering weight. it was just a really well balanced car.