PDA

View Full Version : Getting New alarm/security system

Chosta
17-07-2006, 01:52 PM
hey guys,
I need to put a security system in my dc5r. ive been delaying for some time and i think i should get it ASAP. What do you guys have in your cars? Any suggestions and quotes?

Cheers
Chosta

slipn
17-07-2006, 02:40 PM
I would be keen to hear some suggestions too..
Heaps out there but I always hear horror stories from people who have had new systems fitted

Andrew21
17-07-2006, 03:32 PM
me 3 !

euro69
17-07-2006, 03:47 PM
where abouts are u locate din sydney...
maybe i can help u out on alarms....

VTECACCORD
17-07-2006, 04:37 PM
For alarms
Get a Mongoose, they are reliable. Get a M80S with a glass break sensor, do not get microwave or other sensors.
Get an additional internal screamer siren.

Find yourself a good installer, most installers in sydney will just toss the alarm under the dash within easy reach.

Learn from my mistake took my car to dsire4sound to have an alarm installed, they did a decent install, but looking under the dash i could see the alarm within 15secs, if you can find it this quickly then it can be bypassed.

The alarm should be well hidden and hard to find, furthermore you should not be able to trace any wiring abck to the alarm. These are the signs of a good install.

I eneded up ripping there install out and redoing it myself, now my alarm is well hidden and installed properly.

To add to an alarm, I would get a square tube type Club and use it with the lock facing the windshield. I would also engrave the seat rails with the VIN number.

Key thing to remember is that the install is key, there are a lot of shitty installers around that just don't seem to like doing a good job.

Spunkymonkey
17-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Link to another thread on alarms:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45987&highlight=car+alarm

Chosta
17-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Are there any other reputable brands other than mongoose?

[ricer]
17-07-2006, 07:01 PM
For alarms
Get a Mongoose, they are reliable. Get a M80S with a glass break sensor, do not get microwave or other sensors.
Get an additional internal screamer siren.

Find yourself a good installer, most installers in sydney will just toss the alarm under the dash within easy reach.

Learn from my mistake took my car to dsire4sound to have an alarm installed, they did a decent install, but looking under the dash i could see the alarm within 15secs, if you can find it this quickly then it can be bypassed.

The alarm should be well hidden and hard to find, furthermore you should not be able to trace any wiring abck to the alarm. These are the signs of a good install.

I eneded up ripping there install out and redoing it myself, now my alarm is well hidden and installed properly.

To add to an alarm, I would get a square tube type Club and use it with the lock facing the windshield. I would also engrave the seat rails with the VIN number.

Key thing to remember is that the install is key, there are a lot of shitty installers around that just don't seem to like doing a good job.

i dont think its that easy to bypass it man, im pretty sure they have security licences to instal the alarm, and they know what they're doing. in the end, if someone really wants to take ur car they will no matter if u have an alarm or not.
i have the m80 and i've found it to be reliable but i dont think it will do much if someone wants the car bad enough. it might just delay them a minute or two

INTEGGRA
17-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Hey...

I went to audiocom and got central locking keyless entery all entry point boot/bonnet/doors sensor aswell as interior virbation sensor. So if anything moves inside the car it goes off or is anything gets opened without it being disalarmed. ie the boot or a door it goes off aswell as the fact if you tapp the window it goes off cost me 500 bucks its autowatch very happy with it.

-MuGen PoWer-
17-07-2006, 07:43 PM
i agree with VTECACCORD, the alarm comes back to the installer and how stealth the installation is. I know a few pro alarm installers that will challenge anyone that they can have the car stolen within a few minutes by an average installer. Sometimes having have to break into cars legally. Once you can locate where the alarm box is, it isnt that hard to bypass.
These pro alarm installers actually strip down your interior to make it much harder for the theft to locate the alarm unit and Ive heard of installs that taking 5-6 hrs.
Facing the clublock towards the windscreen will definately deter the amateur car thefts out there as they cannot smash the part where u put the key in.
I recommend getting the Mongoose M80G as i know a few ppl who have it and not have problems and they do the job with a proper installer

Ive heard of ppl welding the seat rail bolts??????

Chosta
17-07-2006, 08:07 PM
has anyone got one of those added options of paging system? some ranges say 500m but is it any good? and does it get your heart racing everytime it beeps and its only a false alarm? :)

they should sell them with a baseball bat! :P

euro69
17-07-2006, 08:11 PM
i can do u a alarm so u can still use the factory remote on the key instead of carrying around the extra remote for $400 installed.

DC5TYPER
17-07-2006, 09:22 PM
2002 Type R needs a UPGRADE ALARM due to the fact it already comes with a keyless entry system. You retain your factory remote with upgrade alarms, Two great companies for upgrades I know of are Viper and Cyclops.

Viper 775X (i think - cbf double checking)
Cyclops S485

Both companies have technical support and Cyclops are based in Perth.

With these alarms you can add whatever you want as in Ultrasonics, Microwave Sensors, Tilt Sensor, Shock Sensor, Glass break sensor, etc and most come in both single stage and dual stage detection.

Why both having 2 remotes. When these 2 top brand alarm companies have found a way to retain your factory remote system.

More info -
www.dynamco.com.au (Cyclops)
www.directed.com (Viper)

TRU32U
17-07-2006, 09:30 PM
take it from me, dont bother using anything reputable...
IE big names, go for smaller names but reliable u dont want ur alarm to go off for no reason especially 2am in the morning cause of the sensors...
my car has a un known brand, black wires and rah rah rah
if someones an installer and knows the brand its real easy same as black widow and mongoose and stuff, basically all it takes even the most hektik brand, is find the main box and bust it open and read the pcb.
thats why i say get an unknown brand...
my2c

Chosta
17-07-2006, 10:13 PM
But wouldnt you just use the remotes given by the aftermarket alarm since you dont need the keyless entry. Isnt the remotes keyless entry anyways?

someone correct me if im on the wrong track.

DSNTGR8
17-07-2006, 10:45 PM
i got viper on my teg, never had any issues. go with viper!!!!!

Q_ball
18-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Covered several times guys, moved to Noob Forum.

-MuGen PoWer-
18-07-2006, 09:55 AM
But wouldnt you just use the remotes given by the aftermarket alarm since you dont need the keyless entry. Isnt the remotes keyless entry anyways?

someone correct me if im on the wrong track.

Yeah the aftermarket remotes replaces your factory keyless entry remotes.

Datuk
18-07-2006, 10:31 AM
We can install alarms for you and reserve sensors within NSW. Plse pm me for details thks!

euro69
18-07-2006, 03:41 PM
PM replyed