PDA

View Full Version : [Euro]Scratched Tint

Woogler
17-07-2006, 06:31 PM
We all know the dramas with the scratching of the tint on our Euros. There are two fixes I know of, having researched through the forums. The primary one is the application of felt to the door rubber somewhere. The secondary is to attempt to smooth off the rubber seal.

I have had the tint scratch twice now. After 1st time, dealer refunded me tint cost cause the service dept told us the sales dept should never have offered it.

2nd time was today after I had a tint company claim they knew how to fix it. They removed the rough surface from the rubber in the door trim. But today it failed again.

Can someone who has had the felt modification done, please detail their outcomes and placement of it. Also, is there a required thickness to this felt and does it create a level of drag or resistance on the window motor which can cause damage later on. And can somebody who has had this done for a fair while confirm that it definately works please.

yfin
17-07-2006, 08:49 PM
The felt works - what more can I say? I have had it for almost 3 years now.

Woogler
17-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks Yfin!

Woogler
18-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Tint mob here in Tamworth have made some calls after my advice from this forum and have ordered me some felt which they hope to have in the next week.

I will give some feedback as to the result. They reckon it is very thin.

yfin
18-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Good work Woogler - so who is paying for the felt and the retint for the 3rd time?

timmy_12
18-07-2006, 08:33 PM
i have had windows re tinted 3 times and felt applied twice the 1st felt pet water streak marks on the inside of the windown due to condensation in the door so i requested it removed until they found a different way of getting around it and just had the windows re tinted and re felted last thursday waiting to see how it goes now

2jz
19-07-2006, 12:14 AM
My tint was replaced by the dealer. Seems to be fine now. Not sure what they did though.

Woogler
19-07-2006, 09:28 PM
The dealer wiped their hands of it upon giving me a cheque! It will only cost me the price of the felt and the one piece of replacement film on the drivers window. Cost is unknown as the felt hasn't arrived yet.

deeps
20-07-2006, 12:54 AM
umm... ok i got myeuro yesterday and was gonna get it tinted... what is this problem you guys speak of?!

aaronng
20-07-2006, 01:36 AM
umm... ok i got myeuro yesterday and was gonna get it tinted... what is this problem you guys speak of?!
Read the 1st and 2nd post above.

LXRY
25-07-2006, 11:15 PM
yep i got scratches too. Dealer replaced the tint the first time now i noticed scratches are back again....hmmmm

EuroAccord13
25-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Just an informational note to all..

There are two known ways that I have found out to prevent the window tint from scratching..

These are from several tint professionals and some franchises used the two different ways..

1. Felt which in my opinion is the best way out
2. Bending the metal strip that is known to be the cause of the scratch away from the window. Now the drawback from this from several owners and tinters is that wind and road noise will increase slightly in the interior...

CHEERS

deeps
26-07-2006, 12:54 AM
hmm, will the tint companies know what to do with this felt? Anyone got a price yet to get it 'felted' up or whatever. I imagine it wouldn't be too expensive.

Woogler
26-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Mine is getting done today. I will post the process and cost tonight

aaronng
26-07-2006, 08:52 AM
hmm, will the tint companies know what to do with this felt? Anyone got a price yet to get it 'felted' up or whatever. I imagine it wouldn't be too expensive.
Tell them your car has no felt on the inside and you want it installed. If they are pulling the door panels out to install the tints, then it won't cost much to install the felt. Otherwise, it'll cost heaps more.

deeps
26-07-2006, 11:43 AM
ok awesome. I assume they'll have felt in stock and i won't have to warn them before hand?

meh, i'll do that just in case when i ring up

Woogler, can you also tell me what company you're getting it done with?

Cheers :)

Woogler
27-07-2006, 04:35 PM
All done! Now a waiting game to see if it scratches. Took 3 weeks last time, but that was without the felt. It cost me $110 to have a new piece of film fitted and the felt fitted to all 4 doors.

I will update the progrees weeky.

Woogler
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I used the window for the first time today and it put 3 deep scratches down the film!!!! Now the only option left is to cut the rubber away from the door trim. Any ideas what it is there for? Noise perhaps?

deeps
02-08-2006, 04:38 PM
ohh

Unfortunate :(

I called up tint a car, and they said $400 for formula one. They said they can do $350. But i have a 50% offer, so i can get it done for $200.

Also asked him about the felt, and he said there shoulnd't be a need. He said they've done a few. Anyway he said that once they open up they'll check.

Do you have a warranty on your tint?

Also, would you kindly get me a picture of this scratched tint? HOw bad is it?

Cheers

Woogler
02-08-2006, 05:07 PM
There is no warranty on the tint because it is the "Honda" that is scratching the tint. I will try and take a pic and post it up.

Woogler
02-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Guys,

All that is left is for me is to have the rubber strip, about 2 centimetres down from the top of the door trim shaved or removed. Can anyone give me opinons as to what this rubber strip is for please, before I decide to go ahead with it or have my tint removed for good.

benthx
05-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Here is the response I got from dealership when I quizzed them re scratched tint.

"sometimes grim or sand gets in between the seals and when window goes up and down you can get a scratch on tint" "tint companies do not offer warranty on scratched tint" I stated that reasearch has shown that its a common fault with the euro and can be as a result of the metal clip etc.. They responded that "HA feels tinting is not required as the glass is heat absorbing and tinted" I respond the glass is coloured never the less you endorse tinting vehicle via defense pack at point of sale for vehicle at the dealership. You are therefore selling a product with fully knowledge of possible implications. No response just a slight gasp.

Ben

yfin
05-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Guys,

All that is left is for me is to have the rubber strip, about 2 centimetres down from the top of the door trim shaved or removed. Can anyone give me opinons as to what this rubber strip is for please, before I decide to go ahead with it or have my tint removed for good.

You could get some additional noise on the freeway if you remove it.

You are the first person I have heard that the felt didnt work. Who is doing the tint for you?

Woogler
05-08-2006, 10:16 AM
A company in Tamworth, Body Guard. They are doing their best. Yesterday they shaved a very small amount of thickness off the strip. They did not cut it off as we considered the noise intrusion into the cabin may be significant.

There is a test square piece of film on the window now which will stay there for 2 weeks to see if it scratches again.

The felt was placed back on the strip.

wbg
07-08-2006, 03:45 PM
I also have problem with all 4 windows being scratched. Company that tinted my windows (I forget the name, they're in East Perth) says it's the car's fault so the warranty won't cover it. My dealer (Burswood Honda) tell me that Honda/Honda dealers won't pay for it because it doesn't affect the operation of the car, and they don't come tinted from the factory. The dealer also says that he is aware of the problem and that the tinter can call him for information on how to prevent it from re-occurring.

Has anyone had this line from their dealer? To me it's an admission of fault, but they refuse to pay for the repair. Pretty ****ed if you ask me.

BiLL|z0r
07-08-2006, 05:01 PM
My drivers window is now scratched as well. I noticed it a few weeks ago but thought it was a mark, but checked today and it's a perfect line from top to bottom down to the glass. I had my tint done by a 3rd party as well I hope I don't have too many drama getting it fixed under wty as my car is almost 12mths old now.

Woogler
08-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Well all the detail about the probable fault, cause and solution is in this thread. I can only suggest you go with what myself and other Euro owners have written.

Honda will not take any responsibility of it. My dealer refunded me the cost of the tint. And they did it pretty damn quick, which tells me they don't want to know about it after they obviously contacted Honda for guidance....

Since my mod last week, it still hasn't scratched. Fingers crossed.

yfin
08-08-2006, 07:13 PM
My drivers window is now scratched as well. I noticed it a few weeks ago but thought it was a mark, but checked today and it's a perfect line from top to bottom down to the glass. I had my tint done by a 3rd party as well I hope I don't have too many drama getting it fixed under wty as my car is almost 12mths old now.

Just to be clear - was that tint installed with or without felt.

BiLL|z0r
08-08-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm assuming without. I haven't looked myself but the installer made no indication he was using felt and I didn't ask (since the car was only 1 week old when it was done). Since it's only 1 window I could just pay for that door to be felted and the window to be tinted again I suppose. it's just such an inconvienence either way.

benthx
08-08-2006, 08:03 PM
I also have problem with all 4 windows being scratched. Company that tinted my windows (I forget the name, they're in East Perth) says it's the car's fault so the warranty won't cover it. My dealer (Burswood Honda) tell me that Honda/Honda dealers won't pay for it because it doesn't affect the operation of the car, and they don't come tinted from the factory. The dealer also says that he is aware of the problem and that the tinter can call him for information on how to prevent it from re-occurring.

Has anyone had this line from their dealer? To me it's an admission of fault, but they refuse to pay for the repair. Pretty ****ed if you ask me.

Well Perth is a small place!! I know the owner of that tinting place you mention in east perth. The defense pack that honda and many other car dealers sell at point of sale (indirectly endorsing the product) is done there. I know I have seen the paperwork. Dealers are resonsible for most products that they sell as they would be legally liable if say the fitted 18inch rims to your car if the adr rules or manufactures state 15inch. They are responsible for what they do to the car in the stages prior to delivery. They have a duty of care to inform you that these problems may occur especially if there is a history of it. You are then able to make a determination if you wish to go ahead. What I would do is remove the tint and see if the glass is scratched. If so then you have a case for HA to replace/adjust the part that is interacting negatively with the glass and subsequently the tint.

Ben

chunsa
08-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Is the scratch suppose to be vertically across the whole window? My tint scratch only happens vertically from the top and the bottom. The scratch does not extend all the way from bottom to top but seems to stop near the middle. This has happened to both the front passenger and driver windows. Rear windows are yet to be affected.

When I had taken it back to Solartint to see if they can resolve the problem, I was told it was either debris stuck inside or it is the fault of the vehicle design and will not take responsibility for it. I go to dealer to see if they can do something about and got a response that since I have tinted the car myself they are not at fault but is the tinter's responsibility to fix. I have had these windows tinted by Solartint for 6 months now and have gotten used to the tint scratch. I am now thinking of removing just the front window tints and copying the Japanese; darker tint at the rear with lighter or no tint at the front.

Example pic:
http://www.aa.isas.ne.jp/myvitz/accord/accordaisya/mino/accordaisya_mino_02.jpg

I was unware of the scratches that would be caused by the Accord Euro when I tinted without the felt. I only found this out by visiting this forum and various TSX forums. Solartint used metallic tints if that would or would not affect the scratching I would not know but they did do an excellent job at tinting my mum's Yaris, surprisingly no scratches to date.

So now I am deciding between having the windows retinted with the felt installed, removing just the front window tints as the rear has not been affected yet or just putting up with the tint and saving a few $$$.

BiLL|z0r
09-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Is the scratch suppose to be vertically across the whole window? My tint scratch only happens vertically from the top and the bottom. The scratch does not extend all the way from bottom to top but seems to stop near the middle. This has happened to both the front passenger and driver windows. Rear windows are yet to be affected.

So now I am deciding between having the windows retinted with the felt installed, removing just the front window tints as the rear has not been affected yet or just putting up with the tint and saving a few $$$.

My scratch is vertical as well but top to bottom of drivers window.

I'm in the same boat except having no ting isn't an option as it's too glary for me to drive otherwise.

Woogler
09-08-2006, 07:56 AM
The contact points may vary. Mine did once the rubber strip was shaved. But mine originally started by displaying lines from top to bottom.

euro77
09-08-2006, 08:40 AM
mine was sort of at the bottom towards the middle, didn't reach the top, so I guess similar with yours. rear window not affected as well, maybe because it's hardly ever opened... was replaced under warranty, so no extra money out of pocket and they installed the felt as well so I won't be back asking to replace the tint again LOL

Woogler
20-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I have spent the last 2 weeks with a temp square piece of film on the drivers window after the tint company tried another modification. They shaved a very small sliver of rubber off the strip which is about 2cm's from the top of the door trim. They explained that the rubber had many inconsistencies in it, with the very hard areas corresponding with the scratch points on the tint! These were shaved off. They replaced the felt and the temp film did not scratch!

On Friday I had the new film placed on the drivers window. I will update on the progress. This is the 3rd time! Fingers crossed.

Alpine
20-08-2006, 01:01 PM
This scratching problem also applied to our 2004 Accord V6. It scratched the tint twice which resulted in the tint being replaced three times! On the third time some felt was placed in the door, and it has been fine ever since. The tint shop covered the entire debacle under warranty so it didn't cost us a cent, but nevertheless it was still a painful exercise for everyone involved...

EuroDude
20-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Mine isnt scratched but there are vertical marks that easily come off if wiped. Would applying felt solve this?

mastcell
22-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Hi all,
My best advise to all of you contemplating window tinting is Don't. Save yourself heaps of hassles, not to mention money. Euro comes with heat absorbing glass and the glass is slightly darker anyway.

All my previous experience with tinting is that they will eventually fail, with ugly result...then you got to spend more money to get the tint off. There is also the added risk of an incompetent tinter scratching your glass when applying the film. Somehow all these reports of tinting film being scratched just confirmed my cynicism about unnecessary add-ons for what is already a very accomplished car.

yfin
22-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Hi all,
My best advise to all of you contemplating window tinting is Don't. Save yourself heaps of hassles, not to mention money. Euro comes with heat absorbing glass and the glass is slightly darker anyway.

All my previous experience with tinting is that they will eventually fail, with ugly result...then you got to spend more money to get the tint off. There is also the added risk of an incompetent tinter scratching your glass when applying the film. Somehow all these reports of tinting film being scratched just confirmed my cynicism about unnecessary add-ons for what is already a very accomplished car.
Hi Mastcell - welcome aboard! I know reading these forums on some issues it seems like the issue is magnified 100 times because people without problems have no need to post.

The tint scratch issue is not bad because there is a solution. I have had the tint for approaching 3 years now and I don't regret it for a second. The OEM glass is not dark enough for hot days.

If you get the tint with felt, as we have seen, in 99% of the cases you will not have any problems.

If you scratch the tint with the felt it is most likely because the glass on the inside is not kept sufficiently clean to stop a built up of debris at the bottom of the window (that will eventually scratch most tinted windows on any car).

mastcell
22-08-2006, 06:52 AM
...The tint scratch issue is not bad because there is a solution. I have had the tint for approaching 3 years now and I don't regret it for a second. The OEM glass is not dark enough for hot days....

...If you scratch the tint with the felt it is most likely because the glass on the inside is not kept sufficiently clean to stop a built up of debris at the bottom of the window (that will eventually scratch most tinted windows on any car).

Hi yfin,
I wonder if the stock glass cuts out UV rays? If not, that would be an indication for tinting. Otherwise, I don't care much for the supposed cosmetic effect of tinting. Depending on what type of film you choose, tinting is much less effective in cutting out IR rays so the benefit of a cooler car on a hot day is somewhat arguable. An air con and open windows still work best, imo.

Hot leather seats is another issue, i imagine it will be just as hot with or without tinting. :confused:

I agree with your last sentence: the tint will eventually scratch...I just don't know if I can be bothered babysitting it....Sorry about my negativity on this topic. Most of the time, most things do work as intended, I just prefer to keep mine minimal.

deeps
22-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Well, I got tinting yesterday. mastcell, it's not puerly the cosmetic side of things. It's about UV protection, not just for the people inside, but for the leather seats, interior etc.

It is definately cooler in a tinted car, as alot of the suns rays are blocked, and a much lesser portion of heat enters the vehicle.

Anyway, i've ben told to wait 48 hours, so let's see how it goes :)

Woogler
22-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Deeps, did you get the felt fitted or any other mods done?

15NVD
23-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi.

I have only just purchased a 2003 euro with the same problem you are all talking about. My problem is i have no idea who tinted the vehicle so i cant go back to them to see if they can fix the problem. Whar do you think my chances are going to honda to see if they will fix the problem even though i am not the original owner or didnt get the tint done originally? i still have a bout 5 months of warrently left.

Cheers.
Tim.

aaronng
23-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi yfin,
I wonder if the stock glass cuts out UV rays? If not, that would be an indication for tinting. Otherwise, I don't care much for the supposed cosmetic effect of tinting. Depending on what type of film you choose, tinting is much less effective in cutting out IR rays so the benefit of a cooler car on a hot day is somewhat arguable. An air con and open windows still work best, imo.

We still get tanned inside a car if exposed to the sun. So there is still UV getting through. Want to see my darker right arm? http://www.acurazine.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

mastcell
23-08-2006, 11:11 AM
This came from Honda Australia, via email:
'Honda vehicles come factory fitted with "Green Glass" not tinting. This provides heat absorption and a degree of UV protection. We are unable to provide a percentage of UV absorption, as this was not the main purpose of the design, and therefore has not been tested.'
Honda Customer Service

I got a decent tan too when I drove from Brisbane to Perth in my Hyundai Accent. But the 'dai has clear glass, not 'Green Glass' as in the Euro. Maybe I will do some crude experiments on light absorption/UV filtration/IR filtration over the weekend and post them here for the benefit of members.

But the fact remains that when you get someone to fiddle with your nice car, you must be prepared for some eventuality such as the ones reported here. It all depends on what is important to you. I just rather not have tinting but I would consider a car cover if I am parking under the sun for extended period, for example.

mastcell
23-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, I got tinting yesterday. mastcell, it's not puerly the cosmetic side of things. It's about UV protection, not just for the people inside, but for the leather seats, interior etc.

It is definately cooler in a tinted car, as alot of the suns rays are blocked, and a much lesser portion of heat enters the vehicle.

Anyway, i've ben told to wait 48 hours, so let's see how it goes :)

Hi deeps,
I don't think you will get complete UV protection even with tinting because the front windscreen cannot be tinted.

The car may be cooler if it is under the sun for a few minutes (eg,<10mins, perhaps), but there won't be any difference if you leave the car under the sun for several hours. Again, it is primarily because of that front windscreen. Even some rays will slip through your tinted glass regardless. The cabin will be hot just the same.

I had an un-aircon car with vinyl seats in the early 90s and I can tell you from experience that the window tinting did not save my arse in the 35 degree heat. In the end, it is mostly about cosmetic. This was the main reason I put the tint on my previous car, the other benefits were secondary.

There is no problem wanting to be vain, I just don't want to see people coming to grief because the tinting fails to live up to expectation. It may not happen to you but someone who bought the car from you may have to deal with it, like 15NVD.

yfin
23-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi.

I have only just purchased a 2003 euro with the same problem you are all talking about. My problem is i have no idea who tinted the vehicle so i cant go back to them to see if they can fix the problem. Whar do you think my chances are going to honda to see if they will fix the problem even though i am not the original owner or didnt get the tint done originally? i still have a bout 5 months of warrently left.

Cheers.
Tim.

Do you have the original sales receipt - ie can you find out whether the dealer organised tinting of the vehicle? If they organised tinting the dealer may be willing to help - otherwise you are on your own.

yfin
23-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Re all this UV business - even clear glass does cut out some UV rays. I think it is 40% or so.

yfin
23-08-2006, 05:01 PM
I had an un-aircon car with vinyl seats in the early 90s and I can tell you from experience that the window tinting did not save my arse in the 35 degree heat. In the end, it is mostly about cosmetic. This was the main reason I put the tint on my previous car, the other benefits were secondary.

It has definatley helped cool my car - i think the difference is I cover the front window if going to the beach etc on a hot day. Everything is just so much cooler to touch and it definately helps protects the interior in those sorts of conditions.

Woogler
02-09-2006, 02:36 PM
After a couple weeks, my tint HAS NOT scratched. It would appear the cause and the solution has been ascertained...finally....

Monty77
02-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi guys. We have an '06 Man Euro Lux in Graphite and have just had it tinted by "Instant Windscreens" in Cairns, North Queensland. After owning the car for only a couple of weeks, we were also definite on the decision to tint, being in +35 degree summers! The local dealer also offered a protection pack (at a rediculous cost of course) at the time of sale of which we declined, to do it privately. I asked the tinter about the window scratching issue and they say that to prevent the problem, they "relax" the rubber off the glass. ie. compress the metal strip which supports the rubber to bring it back off the glass. (So I am told!) So far so good, but it could be just a crock of s#it. I am yet to get some use out of the windows, so I'll let you know how it goes. Apart from the great looks, we also noticed less direct sunlight heat on our arms and faces after tinting. Hope this is of any help.
Cheers.

Woogler
19-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Damn, it scratched again but only very slightly. This is a problem which is being beaten very slowly. My tinter is now going to take the rest of the rubber away. It is obvious now that this is the problem. It scratches at the same points each time. So here I go again!

Monday is the day. I guess it will take a few weeks to get a definite and confident result. I will update once complete.

aaronng
19-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Felt is your friend. Once you have felt, no more scratches.

Woogler
19-09-2006, 04:43 PM
I have the felt...

clowdz
19-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Just had my car tinted yesterday at Tint-a-Car with their Formula 1 tint.. I asked them about the scratching issue and to make 100% sure the tint wouldn't scratch. They said they hadn't heard of the issue before and said they would apply felt if it looked like it was required (which they didn't).. Won't be able to open my window until at least tomorrow, so I hope I don't get any scratches..! But I will report back as soon as I find out!:o

yfin
19-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Just had my car tinted yesterday at Tint-a-Car with their Formula 1 tint.. I asked them about the scratching issue and to make 100% sure the tint wouldn't scratch. They said they hadn't heard of the issue before and said they would apply felt if it looked like it was required (which they didn't).. Won't be able to open my window until at least tomorrow, so I hope I don't get any scratches..! But I will report back as soon as I find out!:o

oh no - here we go. Another person who is going to have the same headaches I had... :(

As said a number of times now on this site - if you install tint in your Euro get the felt installed. If the tint shop doesn't know what you are talking about - walk the other way. Pretty simple really. Installing the felt costs you nothing so why even risk it.

Only one person so far has had scratch problems with the felt installed (Woogler sorry that is you). Dozens others are happy.

At least 9 times out of 10, no felt = scratches on the film with the Euro. I have been on this site coming up to 3 years now and the amount of times we have covered this...

clowdz
20-09-2006, 12:05 AM
LOL... I hope I prove you wrong. :p

Monty77
20-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey Guys,
I am going over the obvious now, but I stumbled across this article on the "Window film Association of Australia and NZ" which I thought may be useful. This may help in an argument with your window tinter if they refuse to replace the tint on your Euro because of scratching, which is not normally covered in the tint warranty.

http://www.iwfaa.com.au/pdf/AutoTtintCautions.pdf

BiLL|z0r
20-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Nice find. I'm yet to go back to my tinter but will take this with me.

LXRY
20-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Hey Guys,
I am going over the obvious now, but I stumbled across this article on the "Window film Association of Australia and NZ" which I thought may be useful. This may help in an argument with your window tinter if they refuse to replace the tint on your Euro because of scratching, which is not normally covered in the tint warranty.

http://www.iwfaa.com.au/pdf/AutoTtintCautions.pdf

Yes nice find indeed Monty77 will use this info aswell as my tint is scratched yet again.....:thumbsup:

mastcell
21-09-2006, 08:15 AM
What can i say? Good luck to all of you who prefer to tint their cars. I mean this in the most sincere way, but you know my feeling on tinting. Thanks Monty77 for that piece of info.

Scratched tint won't be the only problem you can look forward to, I am sorry to say.

yfin
21-09-2006, 07:07 PM
LOL... I hope I prove you wrong. :p

Let us know how you go... I am a bit concerned your tinter has not heard of the issue. Tint A Car dealers must not talk to each other as the one in Oakleigh (Melbourne) told me when he started tinting Euros they all came back with scratches (this was in 2004 when no one knew about the issue). He said their solution was to bend back the frame (or something like that) to move the plastic away from the glass. Not the best approach as stated in that pdf document (good find!)...

clowdz
21-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Opened my window today for the first time and I'm happy to report.. no scratches! For now anyways... :o I do notice when I wind my window now it makes quite a bit more noise than before, like the friction noise between the window and the frame.. hope it doesn't lead to scratches in the future like other members have experienced in this forum. Then again, it could just be me being extra paranoid because of all the issues other Euro drivers have experienced. Anyways, I will report back if anything goes sour... knock on wood.

kitbkk
23-09-2006, 01:12 AM
got my car retinted second time about two weeks ago and there is felt installed as well. When opening the windows there is a friction noise like you said as well. But the scratch is back again on the front passenger window. Gonna get it retinted again damn,, but luckily my tint has life time waranty so when ever there is a scratch, I can just get it retinted.

clowdz
23-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Until they say.. "Sorry not covered by warranty".. LOL :zip:

TypeG
25-09-2006, 01:25 PM
seems like felt is not working as my passenger side got scratch as well so should I just remove it under there is a way to solve? as retint is troublesome while people working full time damnit

yfin
25-09-2006, 04:16 PM
seems like felt is not working as my passenger side got scratch as well so should I just remove it under there is a way to solve? as retint is troublesome while people working full time damnit

Hey TypeG - how often do you clean your windows? If you get a little stone, particles of sand or debris in the window the felt will not save you from scratches.
I have a few fine scratches on my tint for exactly this reason (too many beach trips in WA and not cleaning the windows afterwards) - it can happen on any car tinted. I can only see them in direct sunlight but they are there..

Woogler
25-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah my passenger side has scratched too! I had the lower rubber removed off the drivers door trim today. My tinter is pretty sure that is what is doing the damage. They replaced the felt on what was left, put on new film and put it all back together. Now the waiting game begins again.

If the new tint does not scratch, then they will replicate the modification on the passenger side too.

Monty77
26-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Guys, this has probably been covered before, but where did you source your felt from? I live in Cairns Q. and have looked everywhere from Spotlight, Bunnings, Vehicle Upholsterers, Pool table supplier and repairer, Rubber and foam shops (ie Clark rubber, etc) all with no luck!
I'm guessing you used self adhesive felt tape (3M or similar?) Pool table shop can only supply the felt (thick) with no adhesive backing. The closest I can find is a house door sealing strip at Bunnings, which is made of soft brush type bristles that are also too thick. Any ideas on a felt supplier somewhere please??? Thanks in advance.

yfin
26-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Guys, this has probably been covered before, but where did you source your felt from? I live in Cairns Q. and have looked everywhere from Spotlight, Bunnings, Vehicle Upholsterers, Pool table supplier and repairer, Rubber and foam shops (ie Clark rubber, etc) all with no luck!
I'm guessing you used self adhesive felt tape (3M or similar?) Pool table shop can only supply the felt (thick) with no adhesive backing. The closest I can find is a house door sealing strip at Bunnings, which is made of soft brush type bristles that are also too thick. Any ideas on a felt supplier somewhere please??? Thanks in advance.

My felt was installed by the tint shop as I suspect almost everyone elses. So go to any tint shop and ask them to supply you some - it is not just the Euro that they use felt on so it will not be hard to obtain.

TypeG
26-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Hey TypeG - how often do you clean your windows? If you get a little stone, particles of sand or debris in the window the felt will not save you from scratches.
I have a few fine scratches on my tint for exactly this reason (too many beach trips in WA and not cleaning the windows afterwards) - it can happen on any car tinted. I can only see them in direct sunlight but they are there..

lol
i never clean my window specially inside where the tint is but I hardly go the the bench and they are some hard deep scratches which maybe due the the rubber not cut evenly or whatever

Monty77
28-09-2006, 02:56 PM
My felt was installed by the tint shop as I suspect almost everyone elses. So go to any tint shop and ask them to supply you some - it is not just the Euro that they use felt on so it will not be hard to obtain.

Thanks yfin, I'll give a not so dumb tinter a try! Yeah, I 've had problem after problem with our tinter, after they knifed the top of the driver's rear door trim AND tried to repair it with something crude like a steam iron (on a week old car :mad:). Said it was a warranty (trim mould) problem! It's been a real shitfight but I finally got a new trim at a cost of $578 to them. Seems like you have to make a real prick of yourself to demand quality workmanship. These guys use the same butchering skills whether you bring in a fifteen year old Commodore, or your brand new Lexus!

clowdz
28-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks yfin, I'll give a not so dumb tinter a try! Yeah, I 've had problem after problem with our tinter, after they knifed the top of the driver's rear door trim AND tried to repair it with something crude like a steam iron (on a week old car :mad:). Said it was a warranty (trim mould) problem! It's been a real shitfight but I finally got a new trim at a cost of $578 to them. Seems like you have to make a real prick of yourself to demand quality workmanship. These guys use the same butchering skills whether you bring in a fifteen year old Commodore, your brand new Lexus!

I empathise with you, nothing worse then spending your hard earned cash to get S#!t in return. Only makes it worse when you've got dealers / tinters giving you the run around. Someone needs to take responsibility and it shouldn't be the ill informed consumer!

mastcell
28-09-2006, 10:18 PM
...These guys use the same butchering skills whether you bring in a fifteen year old Commodore, your brand new Lexus!

This is one of the reason why I advise against tinting. There is a concept of 'primum non nocere' , which is translated as 'first, do no harm'.

The reality is that most tinter is not going to share your love towards your car. Sadly, it is just another $$$ transaction to them.

It is ironic that these high quality cars just out of Honda factory are being defaced/deflowered with things such as tinting. Just because tinting is avaliable does not make it an essential aftermarket add-on!

Think of it another way, most of us are born with a healthy body, yet a few of us prefer to augment what mother nature has given with cosmetic surgery. There is always risks with surgery, and when complications occur, you got to wear the sh*ts, it is very difficult to blame someone else.

Sometimes, less is more.;)

mastcell
28-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Someone needs to take responsibility and it shouldn't be the ill informed consumer!

I have this to say:

Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) - Under the doctrine of Caveat Emptor, the buyer could not recover from the seller for defects on the merchandise that rendered the merchandise unfit for its intended purpose. The only exception was if the seller actively concealed patent defects.

Then there is the concept of 'informed consent', as applied in medical field but the same principle can be applied for purchase of goods and services:

Informed consent is a medico-legal condition whereby a person can be said to have given consent based upon an appreciation and understanding of the facts and implications of an action. In the United States, Australia, and Canada, informed consent in these jurisdictions requires that significant risks be disclosed, as well as risks which would be of particular importance to that patient. This approach combines an objective (the reasonable patient) and subjective (this particular patient) approach.

The moral of the story? Do you research before buying (be informed) and be buyer beware! You are responsible for your actions.

yfin
29-09-2006, 12:58 AM
This is one of the reason why I advise against tinting. There is a concept of 'primum non nocere' , which is translated as 'first, do no harm'.

The reality is that most tinter is not going to share your love towards your car. Sadly, it is just another $$$ transaction to them.

It is ironic that these high quality cars just out of Honda factory are being defaced/deflowered with things such as tinting. Just because tinting is avaliable does not make it an essential aftermarket add-on!

Think of it another way, most of us are born with a healthy body, yet a few of us prefer to augment what mother nature has given with cosmetic surgery. There is always risks with surgery, and when complications occur, you got to wear the sh*ts, it is very difficult to blame someone else.

Sometimes, less is more.;)

I have always said deflowering a Euro is the worst thing you can do... joke joke... Nice one Mastcell.:thumbsup: I don't agree with what you say about tinting - but I like the way you write.

Kiwi
29-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Yes, well written (aka copied) Mastcell :)

mastcell
29-09-2006, 11:16 PM
....(aka copied)..... :)

Huh? What do you mean by 'copied'? The 'primum non nocere' post is an original. The 'Caveat Emptor' and 'Informed Consent' post is extracted from Wikipedia, and modified to suit this thread. It cannot be considered plagiarism as the intent of my post is completely different to the original Wikipedia articles. Further, this is an informal forum and I don't think it is necessary to quote references.

tron07
21-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Wonder if anyone here tints the windows without doing the rear windscreen??

Cartoon
12-07-2007, 01:56 PM
any one had a euro tinted out west and had good help from the tinter???
i want mine tinted (prob a little darker than legal if possible) but would like a tinter who is willing to work with me to ensure i have no scratches

insanesam
13-07-2007, 03:59 PM
I got my euro tinted by this mobile tinter which means he comes to you. he's a nice guy and did a pretty good job and the prices are quite fair. i can give you his details if you want

glengowan
01-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Had to get passenger window retinted today as it was scratched, no big deal only took an hour these lifetime waranties are the bees knees

BiLL|z0r
01-02-2008, 07:59 PM
I've had felt on my front windows put in but I noticed the other day the drivers side has scratched again. Not as deep but still a couple scratches. I should have gone to the tint place I'd always gone to years before that, never had an issue. Ah well.

tony1234
01-02-2008, 08:11 PM
I've now joined the scratched tint club.4 scratches all the way down drivers front window.:(.spoke to tinter,they will replace tint.:thumbsup:

LXRY
02-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Got some minor scratches after new window trim got replaced not felt, looks like softer trim but still scratches, too damn it.

tron07
04-02-2008, 07:51 AM
can post a photo of the scratch tint to see how bad it is?

LXRY
05-02-2008, 05:00 AM
mine are very faint at the moment, not as bad as before....i'll wait for a nice sunny day and i'll try too take a pic ;)

Crapdaz
05-02-2008, 11:34 AM
So, in everyones general opinion of tinting windows

To tint or not to tint?

Any reputable tinters in Sydney?

Daz

LXRY
05-02-2008, 09:21 PM
So, in everyones general opinion of tinting windows

To tint or not to tint?

Any reputable tinters in Sydney?

Daz

Tint it just get them to change your trims to "felt"

EuroDude
20-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Where abouts is the scratch on the drivers side? This location?

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6283/scrrh3.gif

tony1234
20-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Mine are at the opposite end(mirror end)and go all the way from top to bottom.:(

BiLL|z0r
20-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Mine have been through out, from mirror end to bigger end.

LXRY
24-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Mine too have been random right through from one side to the other especially the first time the tint was done....all four windows

tony1234
24-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Mine are only on the drivers window.:confused:

Euro1011
30-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Anyone here know of a good place in Perth I can get the felt installed or maybe a place to buy the felt so I can install it? Driver side felt has now come off and reluctant to wind down the window as there are already couple of scratches.

biee2
02-07-2010, 12:02 AM
i have got lik 1 scratch mark on my driver side window but its lik realli close to the edge of the windows so cant realli see it, but i have had my tint for about 3.5years now and i do have felt installed on my tint. the place i got my tint done was the tint professor. i paid lik $270 for all windows tinted at the time, and the felt was free of charge. hope this helps......

corb13
04-07-2010, 06:34 PM
yeah my windows have the honda logo on them so i assuxme the car was tinted slightly when first bought but the tint isnt very dark at all..... My passenger window is scratched pretty bad (by my standards) with full length scratches throughout window, but the passenger is the only affected windows which is weird.. but im so scared of opening any windows now encase the get scratched!

Probly looking at getting my windows tinted soon with felt install but since were in winter theres no rush! Does everyone get there back window tinted? and if they do, do you get the same darkness as the other windows and the quarter panel windows?

peetah
10-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Anyone have a clue where to get felt in Sydney? Assuming places like Clark Rubber will have felt readily available?