17-07-2006, 11:05 PM
CAR MODIFICATIONS

1989 honda integra ls, b16a DA9

Mechanical:

AEM cold air intake with heat sheild and ram pod
Skunk 2 high flow exhaust system
looped mufler
extractors (4 into 2 into 1)?
skunk 2 pro series intake manifold(hiflow)
ajustable camgears(no screw type)
new spark leads and plugs
ECU
balanced and blue printed
rebuild?
titanium valve springs
3 angle valve job, new valve seats
ported and polished head
toga A stage one cams
AEM cold air intake with heat sheild and ram pod
Fitting in VTEC or swapping heads!!!

Drivetrain hardware:

short shift kit
linghtened flywheel (9 to 12 pound)
brass button clutch 3 or 4 puck
pressure plate mods
type R shift linkage
new bushings/bushings
gearbox rebuild

Rolling stock:

5Zigen Hyper 5ZR
Big brake upgrade (4 piston)
cross drilled and veined disks
skunk 2 ajustable coilovers

Interior:

push button start
gauge pillars for console
big tacho
leather everything?check price
new carpets
2 race seat conversion
harnesess
fibre glass dash
checkerplate floorboards
custom door molds
honda or ls logo in dash

Exterior:

M3 mirrors, competition bonnet pins
Altezza lights? look shit
angel eye front lights? legality
bonnet scoop for ram pod
paint job
vinyls
full bodykit - spoiler
fibreglass hood
suicide doors

This is a list of hopefull mods and I dont have the money for them, atm I only have 1 thousand ahha, but I work twice a week and go to school and have many tools and want to mod everything myself as I have access to a basic machine shop...Better start saving, also the reason why i posted this was to get ideas or thoughts even if negative to whether this would be a good list of mods, were to start and so on:confused:

Cold Fusion
18-07-2006, 12:15 AM
hey man, good start! i like to see someone with future plans and not just doing it when they can! what were u more inclined into, do u prefer appearance or performance? thats what it comes down to when 1st starting your quest :) i will try help you get u priocing and stuff if u like, but if i were u id try 1st of all make a list of what ur poreferances to mods are. then go form tehre :)

Cold Fusion
18-07-2006, 12:21 AM
i am also into a quest for parts at the moment, if u like i can show u mine-

Current-
2.25 exaughst
Air intake + RAM+ removed resinator
Short Shifter
Lowerd
17" rims
Front + Back Strut Braces
Bleeched Tail Lights

Future mods-
Crower stage 2 Cams
Crower Retainer Kit
Crower Cam Gears
Side Skirts + rear Skirt
Paint Job

Then at the moment im choosing either SAFC+Headers+ Intake mani (same skunk2 one as you want) OR, not buy them, and then buy turob kit, at the moment i already have the crower gear (cost alot lol) and now i just need to decide on what i want out of my car...but yeh

Also there are many mods u can do which are cheap and also good, like bleeching tail lights and also short shifters u can buy from ebay for like 50 bucks. but dont trust everythign on ebay :)

how many Ks are on the engine? that can also determine if u need a rebuild or not. if its low Ks u wouldnt need to...can u give us more info on your car?

INTEGGRA
18-07-2006, 05:31 PM
another 89 LS :o WOOHOO finally found one!
cool cool you got B16? or you want it?
check out www.g2ic.com for DIY stuff

aznpsuazn
18-07-2006, 05:44 PM
i think you're looking at spending over 15000 there doing all these jobs seperately. you could set urself up with a nicer car for that much. just my 2cents. and why would you want to "fit in vtec/swap heads" if you have th b16a?

mik
18-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Wow so many good responses, now I have a couple more ideas... there is only one real obstacle in making this car come true whether or not i want it to be my project car or buy a different car (rear wheel drive) to do up and drive the LS, because the LS is such a good car in general I dont want to look the situation in a YES or NO way. maybe I can cut it half way and only do the most efficient mods and spend about 3 thousand! in no this is hardly anything and i wont know were it went but thats ok. I think i will be going this way so heres what I want to do with the situation...

Exhaust system with extactors (Fabricate myself)
New spark plugs and leads (?)
Intake mods (?)
Short shift kit
Lightened fly wheel (Machine on lathe?)
Brass button clutch $500 (need new clutch)
Low springs (?)
Rev tacho $100
Sound system $600
Stock metal Rims $600 max

Total aprox $3500

If anyone knows how to fabricate an exhaust system tell me and I will write up a DIY with photos. Already have a fair Idea, Have access to a mig welder so i can only weld metal not stainless. Buy pre bent sections and flanges or make myself... would remove from car and duplicate using larger diametre tubing to put it simply, might port exhaust ports (would this be worthwhile, can i find extractors to fit ported exhaust port?)
THANKS GUYS!;)

aznpsuazn
18-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Some good extractors, intake and flywheel will improve ur car a lot. brass button clutch? you dont need that. sports organic or heavy duty will suffice. short shift? i would take that out too! rev tacho? wat for? rice! sound system (dont skimp on this!)

yourfather
18-07-2006, 06:31 PM
i am looking forward to the toga cams. Are they made in Italy?

Mikeyas
18-07-2006, 06:55 PM
"Lightened fly wheel (Machine on lathe?)"
GOLD!!

FR33K
18-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Wow so many good responses, now I have a couple more ideas... there is only one real obstacle in making this car come true whether or not i want it to be my project car or buy a different car (rear wheel drive) to do up and drive the LS, because the LS is such a good car in general I dont want to look the situation in a YES or NO way. maybe I can cut it half way and only do the most efficient mods and spend about 3 thousand! in no this is hardly anything and i wont know were it went but thats ok. I think i will be going this way so heres what I want to do with the situation...

Exhaust system with extactors (Fabricate myself)
New spark plugs and leads (?)
Intake mods (?)
Short shift kit
Lightened fly wheel (Machine on lathe?)
Brass button clutch $500 (need new clutch)
Low springs (?)
Rev tacho $100
Sound system $600
Stock metal Rims $600 max

Total aprox $3500

If anyone knows how to fabricate an exhaust system tell me and I will write up a DIY with photos. Already have a fair Idea, Have access to a mig welder so i can only weld metal not stainless. Buy pre bent sections and flanges or make myself... would remove from car and duplicate using larger diametre tubing to put it simply, might port exhaust ports (would this be worthwhile, can i find extractors to fit ported exhaust port?)
THANKS GUYS!;)

dude.. ur wasting your time and money
you can buy a catback system for like $200 brand new.. why would you fabricate one yourself

secondly.. flywheel on the lathe !!! dodgy dodgy dodgy.. goodluck

why do you want a tacho ?? youve already got one stock.. you dont need 2 of them

ill stop there.. too much to comment on

mik
18-07-2006, 08:26 PM
But performance wise a catback system offers much less then a full ported system with extractors wouldnt it plus i would like to do a DIY for other people to use since exhaust is such a hot topic? whats a good brand of clutch, i asked queenstreet and they said $475 from memory...
the car has done 291 000km however was a one owner old lady, probably need a rebuild, also I dont know what engine it is but would be the factory one, aparently the most common are the B18A or
B18B however being an 89 model im not sure enough, are there markings. While rebuilding it i could change to a Vtec but need to find out more info, il research what i can. Would love a VTEC or frankenstein motor (Vtec head on non VTEC bottom), so il look around thanks. By putting on a VTEC head would this make it a VTEC...thanks thats all for now

Felix
18-07-2006, 09:15 PM
you sound like a 16yr old with big plans for his car that will never ever get completed.
I'll give you some advice, NEVER MACHINE a flywheel on a lathe, unless you want 5kg of shrapnel going throuhg the floor of your car and into your leg when you throw it back a gear.

I think you'd be much better off saveing your money and buying a better car....

Anyway, what ever you decide to do, goodluck!

kongfu
18-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Nice start!Nice plan!Hope you could make it!:)

LO_N_SXC
19-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Dont blow all that money on the engine and just fit a AVO turbo kit or simillar, guarranteed to give you more power and as to the kit and all that DA9s really dont look good with them, sorry to be harsh but its just a known fact.

Good luck with it all, as for me I'm actually thinking on selling my DA......

Jon_51
19-07-2006, 11:52 AM
you'd be game to strap a hairdryer on a motor that's been around the block that many times,
even if it was driven by one old lady with a full cup of water sitting on the dash the whole time.

if you put a monster taco on it and your existing one works you deserve to be punched.

LO_N_SXC
19-07-2006, 01:27 PM
you'd be game to strap a hairdryer on a motor that's been around the block that many times,
even if it was driven by one old lady with a full cup of water sitting on the dash the whole time.

if you put a monster taco on it and your existing one works you deserve to be punched.
running 5-7psi wont hurt it at all, heck I've even seen old Datsun engines get turboed and never hurt them.

as to the Tacho, I actually happen to have one on my LS and to tell you the truth my oem one still does work but you see I bought it with the intention of using it just for its shift light.

oh btw I've never been punched also note that next time you might wanna think what you type coz u might offend someone you really dont wanna offend, thats not a very nice way to win other peoples respect.

;)

Jon_51
19-07-2006, 03:08 PM
it was an expression, I'll edit it to slapped if you like ;)
sorry not trying to offend you, or win respect. I don't condone violence or monster tacho's, for no reason.
Seriously though, I know 3xx km's isn't that old when you convert it to miles and we've all heard the stories of honda motors running forever and a day.
But
in my opinion, bolting a turbo on, running low boost and bouncing it off the limiter occassionally isn't going to make it particuarly fast or particuarly reliable, hence I don't see it as money well spent, but it's his car and his money, he can do what he likes.

IZY-10
19-07-2006, 07:32 PM
ahh strapping a turbo onto da9 wit bout 7psi will hammer. that is bout 70 extra horse power just from da turbo. btwi have a monster tacho as well with my stock one still working. If u look around u will finf a vase majority of people doing that. it also produces a more accurate reading if u wire straight of the distributer

Jon_51
20-07-2006, 09:35 AM
70 extra hp definately makes a da9 a faster car:thumbsup:, but not a fast car.
Turbo is the best bang for buck for horsepower modification you can do. Kudos to you two izy-10 and Low_n_sxc for doing it :wave:. So long as it isn't auto or mounted higher then the steering wheel, perhaps my reference to monster tachos was a little over the top. sorry to get off topic.
i'd spend the tacho's $100 on a panel air filter.
springs, rims and stereo after that.

Q_ball
22-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Dont get a monster tacho...they are tacky and attracts even more unwanted attention everytime the shift lite comes on!

SKREMN
22-07-2006, 04:00 PM
i had a monster taco in my car but got rid of it coz it gave me the shits
i needed one coz the stock taco wouldnt accomodate my rev range
i ended up getting the JDM clustewr with higher rev range up to 9K RPM and now i just got a shift light
I only really need the shift light because first and second gears rev out so quick that if i dont pay attention i'll sit on red line
and when i loose traction its revs out stright away

SKREMN
22-07-2006, 04:07 PM
ive got a brass button clutch and its just damaging gear boxes and drive shaft
this isnt a neccessary mod, a singel plate heavy duty should do the job fine
my car is just a prick to drive now

And you may wanna go a bigger throttle body so suite your intake monifold

can you get a fibreglass dash? or custom? thats a bit much
what do you mean by checkerplate floorboards just like mats?
that could be a bit tacky?