PDA

View Full Version : 06 Civic VTi vs VTi-L

Scratch2k
18-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi all, I just found this forum while researching a possible Civic purchase and it has proven a treasure trove of information so far, so I have a question for you.

I have taken a VTi-L for a long drive and I was very happy with how it drove but my budget only stretches as far as a VTi unless I can justify the extra $4,000 odd extra for the L, I'm not sure I can given that the major differences I can find are:

Allyo Wheels
Climate Control
6 Stacker
Split Fold rear Seat
Front side airbags
Alarm
Steering Wheel Audio controls

While I'd love a 6 stacker (which isn't even an option in the VTi) and Alloys (which I'll be adding to a VTi anyway) I don't see any of those differences really worth 3-4k.

Given that I haven't driven a VTi (only a VTi-L) I wonder what intangible differences exist between the 2 models that make up for the 3-4k? I've seen a VTi from the outside and if you add the alloys it looks identical to a VTi-L to my eye, am I missing something? Is the interior "nicer"? Are there any other differences not noted in the spec sheet?

Also, I know this is totally the wrong place to ask, but the other car in my short list is the Holden Astra CD, on paper the two cars have almost identical specs, the driveaway price is a difference of about $100 and I actually liked driving the Astra a little more, but I ask you, Honda fans, which car should I choose?

yourfather
18-07-2006, 09:47 AM
astra has crapper resale. and has a little less power.

choose whatever you like, but I don't like the rear end of them

Scratch2k
18-07-2006, 10:17 AM
astra has crapper resale. and has a little less power.

choose whatever you like, but I don't like the rear end of them

On paper yes, the kw difference is about 10% but honestly the Astra felt like it had more grunt and was more fun to drive, the suspension felt tighter, less body roll, quicker off the mark..this is probably more to do with how quiet the Civic is than anything else.

Honda beats Holden on resale value of course, but I'll be keeping this car for 5 years+ so that's not really a major factor (however, 5 years+ of reliability is, and Honda has a great rep for reliability so that *is* a factor).

Datuk
18-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda has a better resale value. I just got my vti and I am very happy with it. Just need to put alloys for now and I am done. Vti-L has more fancy stuff like climate control etc..
If u need an upgrade alarm plse pm me thks!~

IS250
18-07-2006, 10:47 AM
According to redbook, resale is practically identical.

I personally would take the Civic because the interior kills the Astra's, plus I'm also too used to a digital speedo now. The Civic is also roomier and as you say has a better rep for reliability. I had a similar problem too. Couldn't decide between a VTi or VTi-L, I've now decided on a second hand Euro instead.

When you drove the Civic did you feel that you were going slower than what the speedo showed? Was everyone overtaking you? Because that's what happened when I drove it. I've now come to the conclusion that the speedo is inaccurate by a decent margin.

Scratch2k
18-07-2006, 10:59 AM
When you drove the Civic did you feel that you were going slower than what the speedo showed? Was everyone overtaking you? Because that's what happened when I drove it. I've now come to the conclusion that the speedo is inaccurate by a decent margin.

Not so much being overtaken by other people but the impression of speed was definately less in the Civic. I put that down to it being a quieter ride, but if the speedo is badly calibrated that would account for why the Astra felt "faster"...interesting.

Jazzle
18-07-2006, 11:45 AM
can somebody out there with the civic just do a simple test for us?? =)
just get somebody to drive a car out with u.. with a rocky talky or osmeting.. then tell each other wat speed ur going at and see if the civic speedo is really overrating the travelling speed..

maybe the civic is really that stable
please =)

Fizz
18-07-2006, 12:19 PM
i wouldn't recommend the astra as its known to have very high maintenance costs. yes the astra has its good points, but if you intend to keep the car in the long run, check on the reliability issues and service costs.

i was in the same situation as you before, but i did alot of research on the internet (forums, blogs, reviews..etc) and have found many astra owners regret buying that car. for example, the astra's engine uses a timing belt (timing chain on the civic, no replacements) which needs replacement every 60,000km! on average, that means changing a belt every 3 or 4 yrs. every ring up any holden service centre and they will quote you around $700+ to replace the belt. you will also find many owners complain about high brake wear, not only the pads but also the discs! i've heard of astra owners needing to skim/grind the discs once a year, and replace them every 50,000km. some have also complained about the alternators going kaput only after a couple of years. sorry astra owner, these are just what i've found and heard from others, so may or may not be 100% true.

aaronng
18-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Astra 1.8L's timing belt change is every 4 years/60,000km because of a cam sprocket defect.

IS250
18-07-2006, 12:40 PM
can somebody out there with the civic just do a simple test for us?? =)
just get somebody to drive a car out with u.. with a rocky talky or osmeting.. then tell each other wat speed ur going at and see if the civic speedo is really overrating the travelling speed..

maybe the civic is really that stable
please =)

I've tested this. The Civic's speedo is situated very high up so if you drive side by side you can look over and see exactly how fast they're going. The Soarer also has a digital speedo so I can pretty much match the speeds exactly. I've done this on several occasions and every time, I've had to keep my speed at least 5k under just to stay level.

Fizz
18-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Astra 1.8L's timing belt change is every 4 years/60,000km because of a cam sprocket defect.

aaronng, thanx for your advice last time about the astra's issues. my bro ended up getting the mazda3 and he loves it! ;)

Scratch2k
18-07-2006, 01:23 PM
i wouldn't recommend the astra as its known to have very high maintenance costs. yes the astra has its good points, but if you intend to keep the car in the long run, check on the reliability issues and service costs.

This isn't the first time I've heard/read this so I think it must be true ;)

As much as I love the Astra, my sensible brain is overpowering my fun brain, alas, it's often the way. Civic it is.

yourfather
18-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Iknow that OPEL make the astra, in germany, but, I just dont like the looks of it.

the new civic is going to be the benchmark in compact car aesthetics. the astra, I dunno, i don't like the design at all.

but, it's all up to personal tastes. I just wouldn't own one.

I've only ever owned Japanese cars.

IS250
18-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Iknow that OPEL make the astra, in germany, but, I just dont like the looks of it.

the new civic is going to be the benchmark in compact car aesthetics. the astra, I dunno, i don't like the design at all.

but, it's all up to personal tastes. I just wouldn't own one.

I've only ever owned Japanese cars.

Astras are built in Belgium.

Scratch2k
18-07-2006, 02:44 PM
So nobody has tried/seen the neoprene seat covers? I got a price for them and nearly fell off my chair, but I'm still tempted if they are:

1) waterproof (I have a 8 month old baby and a dog),
2) as grippy as the standard seats (if it's the stubby holder type neoprene they should be ok) without being rubbery; and
3) breath ok (rubber + hot days = ugh).

aaronng
18-07-2006, 03:30 PM
aaronng, thanx for your advice last time about the astra's issues. my bro ended up getting the mazda3 and he loves it! ;)
No problem. :) I like the Astra as I was driving one for 2 years before I got my Accord. But the maintainence costs were mindboggling. I thought that being a Holden it would be cheap... But no. Minor services for oil change were at least $400 and major services about $550. The 4 year/60,000km service was around $1000-1100.

Not sure if I updated the Astra thread but when I had the 4 year service done, they told me the front discs were too thin (which was true because I felt the lip on it when changing the pads). So that was an additional $230 onto the service cost. 1 set of discs per pad change for a woman driver! Imagine if it was me who was driving all the time. I'd use up 2 discs per pad change.

yourfather
18-07-2006, 03:51 PM
sorry, I forgot Belgium was so far away from Germany.

My bad.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/travel/dg/maps/37/750x750_belgium_m.gif

Bob san
18-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Not so much being overtaken by other people but the impression of speed was definately less in the Civic. I put that down to it being a quieter ride, but if the speedo is badly calibrated that would account for why the Astra felt "faster"...interesting.

were u driving a manual or a auto?

also i think another feature you can get in the VTI-L is a sunroof?

Scratch2k
18-07-2006, 08:18 PM
were u driving a manual or a auto?

also i think another feature you can get in the VTI-L is a sunroof?

Manual in both, so you can only blame my gearshifting ;)

I'm pretty sure a sunroof isn't standard in the VTi-L, even if it was that wouldn't be enough to sway me, although it would explain more of the 3.5k difference in price.

FYI, in case anyone else is interested, the Neoprene seat covers are about $280 for the front and about the same for the back, ouch.

Jazzle
18-07-2006, 11:24 PM
just get the vti.. with the extra 4k,, u can make ur own vti-L =)
and who cares about climate control.. it's hard to control anyway

JaCe
18-07-2006, 11:28 PM
On paper yes, the kw difference is about 10% but honestly the Astra felt like it had more grunt and was more fun to drive, the suspension felt tighter, less body roll, quicker off the mark..this is probably more to do with how quiet the Civic is than anything else.

Maybe in the manual it's not so bad... but in the automatic, the Astra is shockingly horrible, and coincidentally, the Civic's 5 speed is way better than anything else I've driven in the sub-$30k bracket.

As for VTi-L, the Climate Control is quite nice to use; but I have to admit the Civic VTi's standard air cond is pretty decent because it's got nice buttons (electrical air conditioning?) to use and it's quite decent. That being said, I still love my climate control! It's darn convenient.

And there's no sunroof.

Scratch2k
19-07-2006, 09:28 AM
just get the vti.. with the extra 4k,, u can make ur own vti-L =)
and who cares about climate control.. it's hard to control anyway

With 4k, I can buy my own damn climate.

VTi ordered!

Jo_e
19-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Go VTI! =] die jace with ur VTI-L :P lol

EK9_boi
19-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Go VTI! =] die jace with ur VTI-L :P lol

No flaming dude!!! Just cos you don't have a Sport :p lol

Scratch2k
19-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Booho, late OCTOBER delivery...even choosing white wasn't going to get it to me any sooner, oh well.../holds breath.

mrwillz
19-07-2006, 04:10 PM
^ its the same wif all 06 civics
my mum waited for her civic for 2nhalf months and kudnt get the dark navy blue color , but the dark grey came in faster tho? so got that

Bob san
19-07-2006, 06:11 PM
damn October? what colour did you order? cos i think white will take longer because the demand for them is no where near as high as black or silver.

Don't worry dude its worth the wait. i waited bout 2 and a half months for mine and all i can say is that it was worth it :)

Nikki
19-07-2006, 11:30 PM
yea im gonna get the vti... i said that exact same thing tho.... ' 4k for an L? hahaha
cant wait to get mine.. but i dont know which colour.. purple or black mmmmmmm

channon
19-07-2006, 11:51 PM
if your car comes in oct why not wait 2 more months and get a 07 model?
at least u get all the minor facelifts....

Scratch2k
20-07-2006, 09:19 AM
if your car comes in oct why not wait 2 more months and get a 07 model?
at least u get all the minor facelifts....

That's a good point, but the main reason I'm getting a new car is that my old one is falling apart around me, it's costing me more to keep on the road than buying a new one..every day I drive it is another nail it the coffin..and a potentially expensive repair to keep it going so I'd rather get rid of it asap.

I ended up ordering the dark grey colour, delivery date for that was late September (and my wife prefers the dark grey, happy wife, happy life).

Scratch2k
20-07-2006, 09:20 AM
yea im gonna get the vti... i said that exact same thing tho.... ' 4k for an L? hahaha
cant wait to get mine.. but i dont know which colour.. purple or black mmmmmmm

Easy decision for you, the purple is only available on the Sport model.

Jazzle
20-07-2006, 02:30 PM
can i ask y no one buys a white one?? i have only seen one white civic so far

industrie
20-07-2006, 02:43 PM
the only white one ive seen of the civic was a hotted up one in melbourne with a mugen kit on it and white racing wheels...and it looked semi decent

Scratch2k
20-07-2006, 03:31 PM
the only white one ive seen of the civic was a hotted up one in melbourne with a mugen kit on it and white racing wheels...and it looked semi decent

White was my third colour choice, but the delivery time was the same on white or grey so I just chose grey. White is a good choice if you don't like washing your car, it shows less road grime and looks better when dirty.

Black looks fantastic when perfectly clean but that's usually less than a week in normal conditions and 5 minutes as soon as it rains.

TurBIce
20-07-2006, 04:48 PM
I ordered a black vti-M last week. told me the eta was LAte Sept/OCT - Sydney

Bennoo
21-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Just ordered a Silver VTi-L Manual last week, here in Victoria.
Somebody ordered it then pulled out, exactly the same as what I wanted.
Its due in August, the dealer will let me know exact date in the next
fortnight.

Jo_e
21-07-2006, 02:03 PM
1. White Civics are a b*tch to clean.
2. Also white looks crap in the brouchure, but looks better in real life
3. It is a b*tch to clean...
4. Might look plain to some people? i think it looks sporty.
5. Its a b*tch to clean...

Did i mention its a b*tch to clean? lol Seriously, as a owner of a white civic..it gets dirty the moment it leaves the garage. I've seen another in chatty, but...not many around.. =]

Nikki
22-07-2006, 03:38 AM
Easy decision for you, the purple is only available on the Sport model.

yea but its sexy... and wdf 07 model coming soon?

aaronng
22-07-2006, 03:40 AM
1. White Civics are a b*tch to clean.
2. Also white looks crap in the brouchure, but looks better in real life
3. It is a b*tch to clean...
4. Might look plain to some people? i think it looks sporty.
5. Its a b*tch to clean...

Did i mention its a b*tch to clean? lol Seriously, as a owner of a white civic..it gets dirty the moment it leaves the garage. I've seen another in chatty, but...not many around.. =]
Wait til you meet someone with a black civic. LOL. He'll be bitching non-stop about how hard it is to clean and keep swirl-free.

EK9_boi
22-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Wait til you meet someone with a black civic. LOL. He'll be bitching non-stop about how hard it is to clean and keep swirl-free.

hahaha ~ I knew I was in for a treat! ;) but black looks supremely beautiful when cleaned & polished!

benthx
22-07-2006, 10:34 AM
yea but its sexy... and wdf 07 model coming soon?

Please explain what "wdf 07 model" means please:confused:

Ben

Nikki
22-07-2006, 12:25 PM
bwahahaha ecuse my fobness *wha* i mean the new... new civic

JaCe
22-07-2006, 07:43 PM

Eg. Today I got car tinted. Then cleaned car. Then drove to Wiseman's Ferry. Stopped car. Covered in dirt/crap. Washed car again (using the waterless spray-on car wash). Drove home. Covered in dirt/crap/DEAD INSECTS. Washed car again.

You think white's bad? Wait'll you try black.