PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel plus clutch..or just flywheel?

Justified
19-07-2006, 12:49 AM

WhiteAP1
19-07-2006, 01:15 AM
A new clutch is not exactly needed. If ure gonna leave ure ITR stockish, a stock clutch will happily live out the rest of its life with an aftermarket flywheel. Its ure driving that will determine how long that is. U could go heavy duty and it will probably piss u off after a while, especially if its a daily driver, it wont make any real difference, just be harder to live with. If ure current clutch is a little worn or getting there, change it now to save on labour. If its still got plenty of life, keep it . Just my 2c

timofytit
19-07-2006, 01:18 AM
I have a dc5r and am looking at the same options. I found out that when you purchase the flywheel and the clutch they are balanced together as a package. Therefor they are suited to each other. I notice with my factory dc5r clutch with a modified intake on the engine, and hard driving, the clutch tends to slip a little. Only struggling to bite, once its in, its all good. Your car is only as good as its weakest link. Personally i think i will be getting a kit with both, the hd clutch and the lightnenned and balanced flywheel.

barefootbonzai
19-07-2006, 01:10 PM
i'll tell you now, it's a really big job to change clutch and flywheel. This is y most would do them at the same time. You cannot change your flywheel with out taking your clutch out anyways.

And I take if you are wanting a lightned flywheel you are after some performance out of your car, so a new hd clutch would be more than called for.

xtercii
19-07-2006, 01:49 PM
You put in lightened flywheel because you enjoy driving hard, when you drive hard your clutch wear out faster and sooner or later you will be needing a new clutch and that’s 400+ bux labour alone. So change 2 things at the same makes more sense.

Justified
19-07-2006, 01:51 PM
do flywheels wear out?

or is it only the clutch that wears out?

Thanks.

Justified
19-07-2006, 02:00 PM
You put in lightened flywheel because you enjoy driving hard, when you drive hard your clutch wear out faster and sooner or later you will be needing a new clutch and that’s 400+ bux labour alone. So change 2 things at the same makes more sense.

btw, does it really cost $400 for labour on changing clutches over?

I figured it'd cost about $200 or less.

Also, would anyone know whether the ORC lightened flywheel will fit the stock clutch? or are they different sizes?

Thanks

BlitZ
19-07-2006, 02:01 PM
how many k's on your car? clutch should go at about 110kms or so.. if thrashed abit...

changing your clutch should be for free .... dont think they will charge more than simply changing a fly... cuase changing fly required the clutch to be completely removed

barefootbonzai
19-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Yes it does cost around $400. Flywheels don't wear out. Y are you so keen on just changing your flywheel only for anyways?

Justified
19-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Was just hopping to get a lightened flywheel and still be able to drive it around everyday without the hassle of the button clutch.

barefootbonzai
19-07-2006, 02:55 PM
who says you need to get a button clutch? There's pleanty of HD options avalible that feel like stock during normal driving.

RMN15N
19-07-2006, 03:23 PM
btw, does it really cost $400 for labour on changing clutches over?

I figured it'd cost about $200 or less.

Also, would anyone know whether the ORC lightened flywheel will fit the stock clutch? or are they different sizes?

Thanks

200 is not even enuff to buy the clutch

and trust me u would want to buy both and put them in at the same time
its to much of a hassle changing just the flywheel then when ur clutch wears out abit and starts slipping your gonna have a cry about forking another 400 bux to fit a new clutch in lol

im not trying to say that harshly.. just trying to save ur pennys falling out from ur pocket
:thumbsup:

VTi_b0i
19-07-2006, 03:45 PM
well i just bought a Sports Organic clutch and it set me back 410 and thats at Cost price... so it would be around 500 normally..

barefootbonzai
19-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Justified has an ORC clutch kit in his car, and find the ORC clutch to be a pain to drive around during traffic daily driving..which is why he's contemplating removing the ORC clutch and replacing it with the stock clutch for now.

Now y didn't he just say that to begin with. Would have made a lot more sense and been a lot easier for everyone to answer.

Justified
19-07-2006, 03:52 PM

xtercii
19-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Just strengthen up your leg so you will get used to the clutch…

elim
19-07-2006, 04:57 PM
As barefootbonzai has pointed out, it does cost about 400 bucks in labour for clutch or flywheel OR 'clutch+flywheel at once' since it's an intensive task.

I know cause I've been asking around lol.

Flywheels may need machining but not as often as brake rotors.

Astro
19-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Yeah, flywheel's don't wear out, but may need to be machined at times as elim has pointed out

Justified
19-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Now y didn't he just say that to begin with. Would have made a lot more sense and been a lot easier for everyone to answer.

Sorry for being unclear in the first post.

Justified
19-07-2006, 05:24 PM

aznpsuazn
19-07-2006, 06:03 PM
To give you a good idea, i changed my clutch & flywheel only last friday. I paid $400, this includes the cost of a the rear main seal which would set you back about 50 bux also. The lowest price ive been given for the job is $300, but i went to somewhere i trust and paid the extra.

You dont have to get a button clutch to cater for a more aggressive shifting style. A heavy duty/sports organic equivalent will be ample considering your engine is still stock.

In my experience the lightweight flywheel only makes takeoff slightly harder, i wouldnt consider it as a disavantage though. For those who know their cars and their car's friction point very well, it's something they will adapt to after about 2 days of driving.

BlitZ
19-07-2006, 09:38 PM
well i just bought a Sports Organic clutch and it set me back 410 and thats at Cost price... so it would be around 500 normally..

they sell them at $420 at my lcoal spares... i highly doubt cost is 410..

i got one 4 weeks ago:thumbsup:

BlitZ
19-07-2006, 09:40 PM
200 is not even enuff to buy the clutch
:thumbsup:

exedy heavy duties cost $220 at my local auto spare...
STD even cheaper

sports organic $420..

bennjamin
19-07-2006, 09:45 PM
(if you have a paypal account or credit card)
you can get a flywheel + clutch kit imported from teh states from EBAY shops etc for a very decent price ~ i got a exedy organic clutch + flywheel for about $700 incl. shipping to my doorstep :) Probably $300 cheaper than local.

fatboyz39
19-07-2006, 09:51 PM
isn't stock ITR clutch are HD already?

were using HD presure plate with a organic clutch plate. Works really well.

BlitZ
19-07-2006, 10:43 PM
isn't stock ITR clutch are HD already?

were using HD presure plate with a organic clutch plate. Works really well.

not according to the exedy daikin catelogue.. a stock ITR adn b18c2 clutch are the same...