PDA

View Full Version : im buying a prelude....

TwistedGurl
12-05-2004, 01:06 PM
...so wat should i look for etc?

any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

LUD02C
12-05-2004, 01:37 PM
TwistedGurl

What model you buying, how much you looking to spend?

Well done on buying one, we are a different breed to the civic and Integra people. lol :D

TwistedGurl
12-05-2004, 01:40 PM
TwistedGurl

What model you buying, how much you looking to spend?

Well done on buying one, we are a different breed to the civic and Integra people. lol :D

i kinda have a rough idea of wat im looking for.

from wat ive seen i would like a 5th gen prelude. looking at spending approx 20 000.

and i jus wana know its stats and opinions from their owners. like strengths and weaknesses.

LUD38U
12-05-2004, 02:35 PM
well 5th gen is more for cruising and luxury then for drag racing, don't get me wrong it is a great car to drive and has the grunt aswell when you want it, and is GREAT for city driving cause of the torque.

are u looking at vtec or non vtec model?

LUD02C
12-05-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm guessing by her sig that she owns a WRX and i think going from a WRX to a Prelude should would want a V-Tec :D

TwistedGurl
12-05-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm guessing by her sig that she owns a WRX and i think going from a WRX to a Prelude should would want a V-Tec :D

very good eyes u have there grass hopper... ;)

LUD38U
12-05-2004, 02:58 PM

very good eyes u have there grass hopper... ;)

hmmmm yes sorry i did not even look that far......

Chi
12-05-2004, 03:01 PM
oooh, I think McChook might have found a soul mate, the ludey couples :P

LUD02C
12-05-2004, 03:05 PM
oooh, I think McChook might have found a soul mate, the ludey couples :P

HA HA HA HA HA :D :D :D
Good call...

Creative
12-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey there :)

Specs for stock lude - What info do you need? I have the original brochure here....the main differences between the Si and VTiR are the following;

VTiR = 147Kw.....Si = 118Kw.......VTiR has sunroof as standard.......VTiR has Climate Control standard......VTiR has Carbon Fibre Panels standard.....VTiR has Leather Steering Wheel standard......VTiR gets better fuel consumption......VTiR gets 16" wheels standard, 15" for Si......VTiR gets tweeters in the door next to the door handle, SI only gets door speakers......

And then going further, the ATTS version gets Traction Control and also gets the rear spoiler as standard and different rims :)

The good is that the car is a cruiser. If you want raw speed then look elsewhere. If you want a mix of class and speed, then look no further. The car is very nice to drive soft or hard. The vtec gives it an extra pull and I would personally not look at an Si if I were you :)

The bad is that parts can be expensive. Thats about it really :D

$20,000 is pretty cheap, make sure its a VTiR and doesnt have more than 150,000 Kms. Also check for accidents etc too :)

TwistedGurl
12-05-2004, 03:17 PM
thanx creative :thumbsup:

now im hoping its a vtir...i kinda doubt the car i am getting is. :cry:

shattered i may be....tis all good. theres always another prelude out there for me. ;) :)

mo
12-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Too expensive aye?
http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4912&postdays=0&postorder=asc&star t=0

WPN.22R
12-05-2004, 04:39 PM
its gotta be VTiR, better set up all round. i own a 4th gen..... and when you get bored of just vtec read my sig and that should drop you a hint as to what to do next 8)

good luck with it!!

TwistedGurl
12-05-2004, 06:17 PM
another blonde question here....

since they dont make them anymore...wouldnt parts for the car cost u an arm and leg?

McChook
12-05-2004, 06:20 PM
another blonde question here....

since they dont make them anymore...wouldnt parts for the car cost u an arm and leg?

I am the other 5th Gen God (whatever) in here

I also work at a Wrecker - Concord Spares Parts Plus. And parts are relatively cheap, except for the auto gearboxes and engines... not cheap to replace at about $3300 each to replace....

TwistedGurl
12-05-2004, 06:27 PM

I also work at a Wrecker - Concord Spares Parts Plus. And parts are relatively cheap, except for the auto gearboxes and engines... not cheap to replace at about $3300 each to replace....

should i bow down and offer u fruit and incense? 5th gen god :twisted: [jks]

well, the prelude in getting is auto-tipronic (something like that)...as for the engine. i havent been to then 'runs' for mnths now, and im a good gurl. so hopefully it wont blow up on me.

im jus worried about prangs.

Creative
12-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Mine is the Semi Auto as well. Very fun to drive imo. Sure if you can drive manual, id go for the manual, but if not...then the tiptronic is not too shabby :)

www.carsales.com.au is your friend :)

TwistedGurl
12-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Mine is the Semi Auto as well. Very fun to drive imo. Sure if you can drive manual, id go for the manual, but if not...then the tiptronic is not too shabby :)

www.carsales.com.au is your friend :)

ive read that the semi auto had transmission problems. can u clarify this?

Creative
12-05-2004, 08:33 PM
ok now, well you must have been reading US forums then :D

IMO, they make WAY TO MUCH of a big deal out of it....I have not heard of any transmissions breaking down here in Australia. You would need to be driving it VERY VERY hard also imo to break it.

I drive my lude in SS mode all the time. Ive got to the stage where I only use Auto when need both hands on wheel or something.....Also, ludes made after 98 were given a 10 year warranty on the transmission, but again, I think its only in the USA....:)

Oh and while not overly important, 99-01 onwards ludes have 5hp more than 97-98 models :nod: Its due to finetuning the header or something :)

CSI time, back at 9:30 :D

TwistedGurl
12-05-2004, 08:38 PM
ok now, well you must have been reading US forums then :D

IMO, they make WAY TO MUCH of a big deal out of it....I have not heard of any transmissions breaking down here in Australia. You would need to be driving it VERY VERY hard also imo to break it.

I drive my lude in SS mode all the time. Ive got to the stage where I only use Auto when need both hands on wheel or something.....Also, ludes made after 98 were given a 10 year warranty on the transmission, but again, I think its only in the USA....:)

Oh and while not overly important, 99-01 onwards ludes have 5hp more than 97-98 models :nod: Its due to finetuning the header or something :)

CSI time, back at 9:30 :D

yeah..i was reading US reviews. couldnt find any Oz reviews. thats y i asked my fwend about any honda forums in Oz.

extra 5hp? kewl :)

also, wat mods can u do to a prelude? besides the basic exhaust set up.

8) CSI ROCKS!!!!! ;)...rorted..old episodes..still good

Creative
12-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Most mods can be done, just comes down to how much cash you want to spend. I have done i/h/e mods and will be putting some AEM pulleys on within the month along with a VAFC tune :)

McChook and others will be able to explain some mods better than me he is more cluey than me at that side of things :)

McChook
12-05-2004, 10:57 PM
The auto box is almost unrebuildable, and a replacement will cost $3300, so treat it like gold

TwistedGurl
13-05-2004, 09:05 AM
The auto box is almost unrebuildable, and a replacement will cost $3300, so treat it like gold

so can u give me any hints on wat not to do?

coz ive kinda broken a gear box box already in the subie. but they were meant to break [thats my excuse :| ]

LUD02C
13-05-2004, 11:17 AM
A subaru gearbox is very different to a Honda gearbox!
For 1
The subaru box is made to break in all honeslty, they are the worst built things in the world, thats why people buy dog box's for them!

LUD38U
13-05-2004, 12:20 PM

Well actually my 2nd gear went and it was under used car warranty and the guy at Honda said it is a known issue and they said they replaced that gear or something.......
can someone clarify maybe this ?

Creative
13-05-2004, 06:44 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2477924597

$15K - looks good condition :)

wynode
13-05-2004, 07:05 PM

Well actually my 2nd gear went and it was under used car warranty and the guy at Honda said it is a known issue and they said they replaced that gear or something.......

Just keep this in mind lilian.

-Win

TwistedGurl
13-05-2004, 07:10 PM
OMG :shock:

im getting scared now.

spoke to a friend of mine about his lude...he said after two weeks there was something wrong with his transmission. but he got it all fixed under warranty...but still....thats BS i can do without.

TwistedGurl
13-05-2004, 07:17 PM
oh yeah,

besides the transmission thing. how do u rate the security system of the car?

do i need to chain it to the ground or something?

and is it me...coz insurance for these cars aint as cheap as i thought. :|

McChook
13-05-2004, 08:10 PM

It is a known issue....

Put it this way - Robbie @ Hanny's - Won't touch it AT ALL.
One guy in Melbourne will do a full rebuild for $5500.

A single gear replacement isn;t so bad....
Thats mot normally what the problem is....

wynode
13-05-2004, 10:04 PM

:?:

McChook
13-05-2004, 10:30 PM

:?:

I asked the question at work today. I found after 6 hours on phones, a guy who would rebuild it for almost double the cost of the replacement, with standard parts.

We were under the impresion they were not worth the effort to rebuild - So this guy charges to make it worth his while....

tofu R
13-05-2004, 10:41 PM

Fark .. modesty ..
What does God-like status involve? can i be God of DC2R as well ?

joneblaze
13-05-2004, 10:48 PM

Fark .. modesty ..
What does God-like status involve? can i be God of DC2R as well ?

rofl....You gotta be kidding... "god"? :roll:

mo
13-05-2004, 10:50 PM
! 4M T3H L337 G0D 0F 3K lAH!

HHAAHAHHAHAHAHA

mo
13-05-2004, 11:12 PM
He is a god but he doesn't know the basics about an exhaust?

McChook
13-05-2004, 11:16 PM

Please explain??

tofu R
13-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Please clarify ..
:?: :?:

mo
13-05-2004, 11:18 PM
I'd like to know why as well...
the packing?? Which is where - not an exhaust expert TBH - ?

But I thought you were t3h god with cars since your daddy drives a big hp car and your all that into your track racing shite la

McChook
13-05-2004, 11:20 PM

But I thought you were t3h god with cars since your daddy drives a big hp car and your all that into your track racing shite la

Sorry... WOW, I was ASKING A QUESTION??
Not 100% sure, but I would be pretty certain most people on here wouldn't know what was being described - and for the record, I have clarified the meaning, also known as other things, not always "packing"

mo
13-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Ok McGod. I am berry sorry la! I no know packing have another meaning ^^"

Also what other terms does packing have ra?

McChook
13-05-2004, 11:22 PM

Those sound like nasty words.... What are you trying to say

mo
13-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Nasty words? I didn't swear :) Swearing is baddddd mmmkay

tofu R
13-05-2004, 11:23 PM
haha oh true ..
\/\/|-|@7 |5 \/\/|7|-| |)@ 1337 |-|@X0|2 7YP||\|G

tofu R
13-05-2004, 11:24 PM
packing = blubber

mo
13-05-2004, 11:25 PM
packing = blubber

Thanks tofu! I love to learn things new everyday ^^"

I am only 11*

*According to Bren la!

wynode
13-05-2004, 11:25 PM
ok GUYS lets keep it on topic

McChook
13-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Sound deading in the exhaust is made from fibreglass - sorry, didn;t know "packing" was the official name... I self confess, I am not an exhaust person

XXpl0Sive
13-05-2004, 11:33 PM
yeh!

*posts a big WTF picture*

McChook
13-05-2004, 11:36 PM
yeh!

*posts a big WTF picture*

I'd agree, but I wanna see the point of the flaming

McChook
13-05-2004, 11:51 PM

"Daddy" does not drive a big hp car..... Less than most of the HSVs on the road infact (96 M3)

And the race car - whats your point - if I knew "everything" would I still ask questions?? Obviously not. I never professed to know anything.

The term god was followed by the perenthesies in which the word "whatever" was inserted, in relation to the previous post with my name mentioned...

TwistedGurl
14-05-2004, 11:12 AM
stop HI-JACKING my thread!!!! plz.... :x

and dont be hatin' punks...peace! ;)

wynode
14-05-2004, 11:40 AM
I'd agree, but I wanna see the point of the flaming

Then do it in private.

Now back on topic or I will delete any urelated posts. Failing that the thread gets locked.

LUD02C
14-05-2004, 12:30 PM
My neightbour has a black VTi-R 5th gen
And he tells me the only real problems he has had is the price of getting a service and stuff.

He hasn't had to change anything in it, or do any work.
It is standard (no mods) but either way its still 100% since the day he bought it.

If i was you i wouldn't be worried about the gearbox or anything major like that.

TwistedGurl
14-05-2004, 01:20 PM
If i was you i wouldn't be worried about the gearbox or anything major like that.

kewl... :)

from all the info i have gathered the prelude is a good car overall.

if u treat it bad, it'l break. so thats aights :D

madgrk
14-05-2004, 02:01 PM
haha oh true ..
\/\/|-|@7 |5 \/\/|7|-| |)@ 1337 |-|@X0|2 7YP||\|G

ROFL R U MAKING FUN OF MY L337 ][@x0r 51gn@tur3!?!?!?!

Chi
14-05-2004, 02:02 PM
why do threads involving a gurl always seems ot be popular?

TwistedGurl
14-05-2004, 02:06 PM

hey, u being sexist here? :evil: [jks]

well...i dont think my thread has alot of posts due to my gender. but because of its substance. im asking questions here, not picking up. plus one page was hijacked anyway. :)

Chi
14-05-2004, 02:27 PM

im asking questions here, not picking up.

HI2U !!

asl ? :P

bigteethygrin
14-05-2004, 04:56 PM
lol Chi!