PDA

View Full Version : advice on buying a EG civic

euphoric
19-07-2006, 10:14 PM
hi guys,
Im looking to buy a EG 92-95 model civic hatchback. Can anybody share their tips and advice on what to look out for when inspecting the car, e.g body or engine etc~!

thanks,
Michael

UPDATE: keep submitting your advice, hopefully this thread will be useful to others and could be a sticky! I have copied all the information to below to make it easier to read.

Things to lookout for when buying EG 92-95 CIVIC:

BODY:
-Check the condition of the CV joint boots (especially the drivers side one) - no cracks, on tight, no clicking noises when turning.
-Check the wear of each tyre, look for camber issues if lowered. Get a wheel alignment after buying the car.
-check windscreen for cracks
-check front and back lights (knock them) and listen to sound, i had 1 glass and 1 plastic, so it's been in accident.
-Check exaust for rust, and whole body, if there any rust in one place, could be more all over the body.
-Check brakes, ask about brake pads, and master cylinder when last replaced/fixed
-Look at the paint job on the car. pay extra attention to the front and the rear and espically the bumpers. if they look freshly painted it could mean the previous owner might have smashed and repaired it.

ENGINE:
-Get an Si or VTi (vtec), or a GLi if you dont care too much about performance.
-Avoid buying the Gl and Breeze (carby's). Also avoid that VEi economy one too.
-Ask if they have ever changed any Distributor parts (Cap/coil/igniter). Dizzy's seem to be a common problem on the EG's.
-Ask when they reconditioned the gearbox and when the clutch was last replaced (if manual).
-Check the engine for oil leaks, especially near the CAM seal(s).
-Check for a Service History if any.
-check radiator for cracks
-Check the "release bearing" (part of the clutch) which depresses the pressure plate. IF it squeaks its on its way out...common problem !
-Drive out on quiet street, drive round 50km/h and listen to wheel bearings for any unusual noise.
-Get a mechanic to come with you while checking the car get his ok before you buy it..

INTERIOR:
-Check for any broken interior pieces, e.g cup holder, glovebox , heater/fan controls etc
-Inspect the condition of the carpet and interior trim pieces. If these are in good condition, you know that the owner looks after the car well. Otherwise the dog poo smell should give it away!!

-Don't be too eager just look around and make sure you look at everything in detail etc.

EuroDude
19-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Check the condition of the CV joint boots (especially the drivers side one) - no cracks, on tight, no clicking noises when turning.

Ask if they have ever changed any Distributor parts (Cap/coil/igniter). Dizzy's seem to be a common problem on the EG's.

Ask when they reconditioned the gearbox and when the clutch was last replaced (if manual).

Check the engine for oil leaks, especially near the CAM seal(s).

Check the wear of each tyre, look for camber issues if lowered. Get a wheel alignment after buying the car.

L-Plates
19-07-2006, 10:39 PM
and make sure the engine is in good nick....no black smoke when u redline it commin out the rear....
and its not due in for a recondition...

EG5[KRT]
19-07-2006, 10:50 PM
check service history...

check for structural damage ..

check paint for scratches and dints

also check windscreen for cracks

egSi
19-07-2006, 11:07 PM
pilot bearing.

squeak when clutch is pressed. :thumbdwn:

pizza_boy
20-07-2006, 01:56 AM
check radiator for cracks

check front and back lights (knock them) and listen to sound, i had 1 glass and 1 plastic, so it's been in accident.

check exaust for rust, and whole body, if there any rust in one place, could be more all other the body.

check brakes, ask bout brake pads, and master cylinder

and don't buy breeze:zip:

L-Plates
20-07-2006, 09:45 AM
pilot bearing.

what does it mean when the cluctch squeeks.1?!?

Lex_EG93
20-07-2006, 09:53 AM
get an si... they're cheap and not bad when it comes to power... 98kw DOHC...

i wouldnt get a gli or defenetly wouldnt get a breeze...

bennjamin
20-07-2006, 11:58 AM
pilot bearing.

Pilot bearing is on the flywheel ~ you must mean the "release bearing" which depresses the pressure plate. IF it squeaks its on its way out...common problem !

EuroDude
20-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Yeah get an Si or VTi, or a GLi if you dont care too much about performance.

Avoid the Gl and Breeze (carby's). Also avoid that VEi economy one too.

Bob san
20-07-2006, 12:37 PM
look at the paint job on the car. pay extra attention to the front and the rear and espically the bumpers. if they look freshly painted it could mean the previous owner might have smashed and repaired it.

incoming
20-07-2006, 12:44 PM
check the flux capacitor

EuroDude
20-07-2006, 12:51 PM
check the flux capacitor

Yep those Civic De Lorean's have a common flux capacitor issue lol :zip:

pizza_boy
20-07-2006, 01:27 PM
also drive out on quite street, drive round 50 and listen to wheel bearings.

RMN15N
20-07-2006, 01:56 PM
ok look just go for the engine pop it up check behind of the block for any leaks, radiator leaks mainly watch the engine.. u wouldnt wann fork out 2 grand to get it replaced like i did.. check the interior for broken bits n pieces
body for dents.. take a test drive. and listen to the car when driving to see if you can hear any odd nosies whatever he says about the car is probaly bs
so just be careful about what you belive. get a mechanic to come with you while checking the car get his ok b4 you buy it..
and dont be to eagger just look around check ur options etc.

cheers

ZeForce
20-07-2006, 02:27 PM
If buying one with a B series engine, try a few high RPM shifts see if any of the gears crunch, especially 2nd --> 3rd shift.... Get the engine compression tested and check if the timing belts are due for a change.

Twincam16
21-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Better yet open the oil-cap while the motor is running. Pray there is no blue-ish smoke puffin out!

euphoric
01-08-2006, 12:00 AM
hey guys, i updated my first post, you can keep adding replies here for any other things to look out for when inspecting a civic!!!

euphoric
01-08-2006, 12:06 AM
oh and btw whats the difference between EG Vti and Si???

DreadAngel
01-08-2006, 01:22 AM
VTi - SOHC VTEC - bias towards high end
Si - DOHC Non VTEC - bias towards low end

In the end no real difference between the two, one is cheaper, the other is newer, both are just a little more capable than the average 4 Banger.

euphoric
01-08-2006, 03:22 PM
so the Si isnt vtec? Damn i thought it was!!! felt quick... havnt driven the Vti one, what years did it come out on?

RMN15N
01-08-2006, 03:25 PM
so the Si isnt vtec? Damn i thought it was!!! felt quick... havnt driven the Vti one, what years did it come out on?

nope it isnt vtec.. but most people prefer si over vti.. and vti because it has that baby vtec sound lols..

si's are quick no doubt. depends on the driver to

tengsta
02-08-2006, 11:38 PM
"Check the condition of the CV joint boots (especially the drivers side one) - no cracks, on tight, no clicking noises when turning."

whats wrong when there is clicking noises when turning the engine on ???

euphoric
03-08-2006, 12:28 AM
i dont think the enoises is related to the CV's, unless you are actually turning.. The noise your hearing when starting the enngine could be many problemsms. E.G starter motor or the sound of automotive relays. Can you describe the sound?

tengsta
03-08-2006, 12:30 AM
haah sorry i didnt it meean it like dat .. i was refering to that quote

he sed check if there is a clicking sounds when u start the engine

im jus wondering wat is so "bad" if this happens... coz atmz i am havin a problem startin the car... when i turn the ignition all i hear is a series of clicks...