PDA

View Full Version : shocking when braking

b18a
12-05-2004, 02:59 PM
saying hi to all of u guys, i am new here tho i driving my eg for over 3 years..... know this forum lately (a bit too late :) )

now got a question to ask u guys:
i found that the steering wheel shacks like hell when i hard braking recently, but it doesnt when normal driving or light braking. what can cause this??

the reason i can imagine are the following:
1) Lower arm bush crack
2) Lower arm ball joint (replaced lately)
3) Steering rack end(ball joint), seems not, if it cracks, even cruise will shack the wheel
4) tyres worn badly
5) brake caliper problem (rebuilt lately)
6) brake disc problem
7) rims doesnt fit properly(the hub ring doesnt fit the hub centre firmly)
8 ) suspension problem (a decent (like brand new) coil over fitted lately)
9) front wheel toe out (just did an alignment 0 on the front tyres)

which one u guys think is possible??

Cheers

**Ghost**
12-05-2004, 03:03 PM
i used to own an accord, same problem... only cos one of my front tires were heavily worn... if its any of the bush cracks/suspension probelms... u get this weird "lcik click click click" when TURNING... so i'm guessing from experience its due to tire wear/balance

b18a
12-05-2004, 03:09 PM
does the front lower arm bush in double wish bone system do anything when turning.......

basically how the front bush work related to turning??

i got the "click click..." sound too when turning right, my workshop mate said that is the diff bearing worn...

Cheers

JohnnyBoy
12-05-2004, 04:48 PM
i thought the click sound is when you're CV joints are stuffed..

which can be $$$ if not fixed up

[[d a n n y]]
12-05-2004, 04:57 PM
and also check the brake pads..

worn brake pads.. could b the problem.

ginganggooly
12-05-2004, 05:33 PM
whenever my rotors warp i end in a situation similar to what you're describing. it's particularly noticable when braking from higher speeds.

2ds
12-05-2004, 05:58 PM
yeah, warped rotors will do this, take it to a break place and get them to check the rotors and machine them if they are warped, should only take 5min to check and less than an hour to do.

-2ds

Civic Type R
12-05-2004, 06:10 PM
i have exactly the same feeling too - generally real bad when braking from 200 to 100. Its damn scary !

SPEEDCORE
12-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Hold on guys.... everyone is saying possibly warped brake rotors.

Yes it "might" be, but you did not mention anything about pulsating of the brake pedal when braking.... which makes me think twice about warped rotors. I'd check alignment and tyres.

Rufes1
12-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Ok, most likely, your rotors are warping under heat from heatspots. Did you change your brake pads yourself and not get the disc's machined?

Check your pads, see if they are worn, if so machine the disk (usually $15 per disk at a decent mechanic) and install new pads, if the problem persists you have still eliminated the most likly problem.

If the brake pedal also pulsates this is a sure give away. But alot of the time you can only notice it in the wheel.

Also try, safetly, driving up to a very high speed, say 140 and then slowing down at a fairly quick but constant rate, if it doesnt vibrate at the start then starts to vibrate as the brakes are engaged longer (as the disk heats up) then its another sure give away.

b18a
12-05-2004, 10:20 PM
thanks for ur replies guys, lot of u mentioned about the brake disc warp and the pads worn. as i remeber the pads and rotors are only 2 years old, the rotor is the endless stright-6, seems not so easy to be worn as the strength it has, the pads could be possible, i have been braked them till smoking 4 weeks ago... anyway, will check both of them later on.

and just did 4 wheel balance and alignment last week, hopefully its only the tyres worn..... :cry:

thanks guys

Cheers

b18a
12-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Rufes1// i have tried to brake the car from high speed last time went to touge with my friends. it was a 0-400m, and hit the brake at about 170km 4th gear, the steering wheel was bloody shacky on first heavy foot, i cannot resis and let it go, and heavy foot again, the same as the first, finally got to move to 3rd gear to slow it down, that's fcuking scary.
btw, dont notice the vibrate from the pedal.

anyway, will know the answer soon.

Cheers

Rufes1
13-05-2004, 09:26 PM
yep brake slightly lighter, so it doesnt shake when u first put it on. but maintain the same decelleration and see if it starts to shake as they heat up.

In all honesty if this happened to me I would have the fron wheels and calipers off looking for glazed disks, heat spots, steps or uneven wear on the brake pads, and definetly get the disk machined and replace pads.

BUT thats just what I would do.