PDA

View Full Version : intake into stock airbox

BPA
29-09-2003, 11:20 AM
basically, just wanted to know if a CAI straight into a stock airbox (B16a) with replacement filter is gonna make much difference in response/power......kinda bored and got nuthin to do, so yeh, if it does....gonna kill some time and try to make one

cheers'
Sam

A'PEXi
29-09-2003, 04:36 PM
yeh, the more cool airflow the better :)

BPA
29-09-2003, 05:35 PM
so..anyone know how id go bout makin one?

Weq
29-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Ive done this, had it on for about 5000k.
k&n panel filter +
Remove the stock resinator behind the headlights.
Grab some pvc piping and pipe it fromt he airbox, through 2" hole in the engine bay into the space where the resonator was.
What i also did was cut a hole into the bottom of the plastic under this space and have the head of the pvc piping peaking out under the car. Ive used an S-bend in the pipe-work to stop any water being sucked into the intake.

As long as u are careful, u wont suck up any water at all. I went through the entire winter in sydney, in huge rain storms with with mod, and with some caution it was all ok... Ive got pics if u need em..

Setanta
29-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Post pics :) I'm thinking of doing something with the resonator chamber on my EF9 :)

BPA
29-09-2003, 11:40 PM
weq, pics would be awesome! email them to me if u can
sampanna_b@hotmail.com

thanks

Weq
30-09-2003, 01:20 AM
i'll put em up tomorrow night, they are at gf's atm..
They were done with a DVCamera, so they arnt the best quaility, but give a good description..

eazy
09-10-2003, 07:58 PM
the more pipe the air goes through the less power you'll get, i know from experience

i just got mine placed through the plastic surroundin the wheel arch, best results for me

justin
09-10-2003, 08:51 PM
If you just want to make a CAI using just the panel K&N filter, the best way is to have the air feed from under the car. This will involve drilling of the air box (underneath the filter), connecting to it with a straight pvc pipe, drill a hole from the undercar (size of the pipe for it to stick out) then connecting that with a 45 degree end piece. When you run, the air that rushes throught the 45 degree piece will directly be feed up to the filter. Very effective. Thing is you can only get as much air into the intake as the computer permits but yeh when it sucks air you have plenty to go through.

Rufes1
09-10-2003, 09:33 PM
you not looking at huge hp gains. However the colder air will be more efficient and better for your engine.

Weq
10-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Sorry guys about the pic's, i must have deleted em. That justin said is kinda correct, a straight peice isnt the best idea though, u should include a s-bend in the intake system to stop water. The 45' peice to give a 'ram air' effect isnt really feasbile with the EG civics atleast, as they are really low u will scoop up water in the wet. U dont need to mod the airbox at all to grab a cold air feed, unless u lees like curtting into the sheetmetabl under the intake. The reason for this is that any bigger diamter piping(then the airbox snorkle) wont fit through the pre-cut hole in the guard.
Basically get a 2" peice of pipe, run it fromt he airbox through to the resonator chamber infront of the wheel. But a 2" hole into the plastic at the bottom of the from bar, and feed ur piping into that.. I'll have to grab my mates camera and take some more pics when the time comes..