PDA

View Full Version : B21A1 Horror!!

Slow96GSR
22-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Got a bottom end for free the other day and just took a hour to tear it down. Here is a link (http://www.strathlan.com/CMS/viewtopic.php?t=33) to this bottom end. We think it is out of a 1991-1993, I am guessing, Honda Prelude. It had been sitting at a friends house for a year and his dad wanted it gone. You might like the pictures. Wasn't pretty to pull apart and is very dirty. Just a reminder to keep your motors clean too!

Here's a few pictures!!

Guess how much of the timing belt is wrapped in there?
http://www.strathlan.com/CMS/images/Performance2/Stein/Stein5.jpg

Yes the whole thing! Don't ask how this happened. I don't want to know myself!
http://www.strathlan.com/CMS/images/Performance2/Stein/Stein6.jpg

Keep the oil changed, having sluge can hurt your motor!
http://www.strathlan.com/CMS/images/Performance2/Stein/Stein9.jpg

Hmmm, spun bearing?!!
http://www.strathlan.com/CMS/images/Performance2/Stein/Stein12.jpg

Best case scenario is that the cylinders will need honed, the crankshaft will need polished, mains line honed, and rods will have to be machined and polished. About $400 in work and $500 in parts. Then new bearings and rings ordered. If he had kept the oil changed and the outside of the motor cleaned I bet none of this would have happened!!

VTi_b0i
22-07-2006, 09:35 PM
nice! lol let that be a warning to fellow honda drivers :) thanks for the post

EuroDude
22-07-2006, 09:55 PM
lol looks like the timing belt snapped :eek:

2MPRSS
22-07-2006, 11:40 PM
lol looks like the timing belt snapped :eek:

are you serious bro?:eek: gettt farkddd

destrukshn
22-07-2006, 11:50 PM
i reckon.. i reckon.. that's a pretty good effort.
respect!
lol.

ECU-MAN
23-07-2006, 01:42 AM
poor poor engine.

it must have had some awosme down hill action when the belt snapped, and kept the motor turning. lol

thats a good effort for a snapped belt.

Slow96GSR
23-07-2006, 05:55 AM
It wasn't snapped, still all in one piece, almost. It has a cut half way thru it so my guess it that's how it got off the cams.

spetz
23-07-2006, 01:31 PM
B21?
I thought B20 was as big as B series ever got to?

Zdster
23-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Wow.

Any idea when the last oil change was?

Slow96GSR
23-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Yup a B21. And no we have no idea on the last oil change. It was messy tearing it down too. I used all my rags so now I have to order more!!

Zdster
23-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Yup a B21. And no we have no idea on the last oil change. It was messy tearing it down too. I used all my rags so now I have to order more!!

Looks pretty horrible.

On a side note, re: rags (yes I know you are in the US), the local auto store that I was in over the weekend had a 'bag of rags', that were made out of recycled clothes etc. Thought it was a pretty good idea, plus you are helping the environment :thumbsup:.

Slow96GSR
24-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Ya, I was being sarcastic though. I just get mine off a truck after they have been cleaned. I get 500 at a time and then when they need cleaned the truck drops off 500 more and takes the dirty ones. As for recycled rags, we get those too, like if we are working on stuff where they will just be tossed after the job.

panda[cRx]
24-07-2006, 12:56 PM
lmfao, nice one

we've got photos of a few engines that bad that have come thru work over the years

spacemaster
24-07-2006, 01:12 PM
B21A is USDM for Prelude 91.

Zdster
24-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Just curious, even the block didnt cost you anything, is it still cost effective to tear down an engine like this rather than find something that is in much better condition?

Slow96GSR
24-07-2006, 03:59 PM
The only thing that was bad off of what was on it was the timing belt and the belt cover. I own a machine shop so labor is free, a full head is $300, bearings are $160, and a rebuild kit is $500. I can then sell this local for $3k or ebay for about that. It will return my money and more. The block was really dirty and that caused failure as well as well as the bearing. But that was the driver that did that. We can turn our own cranks so fixing that takes about an hour.

Zdster
24-07-2006, 06:36 PM
The only thing that was bad off of what was on it was the timing belt and the belt cover. I own a machine shop so labor is free, a full head is $300, bearings are $160, and a rebuild kit is $500. I can then sell this local for $3k or ebay for about that. It will return my money and more. The block was really dirty and that caused failure as well as well as the bearing. But that was the driver that did that. We can turn our own cranks so fixing that takes about an hour.

Very interesting to note. If a customer was to bring you the block on the grounds that he/she wanted to return it to as stock as possible, would it still be economically viable?

Slow96GSR
25-07-2006, 07:19 AM
If they have the car this motor goes to, definatly yes. A newer motor for their car would run you 2-4k plus instalation. Not much is a direct bolt up to these preludes as I am told. So if they had the stock motor and all it needs is a basic rebuild then it's only going to run $500 on labor and machining and what ever parts are. Now if it needed a lot of care like a badly damaged cylinder to where sleeves were needed then you have to see what that would cost. About the time this build hit $2kUSD you can start looking at other motors to drop in. But even doing sleeves isn't that expensive anymore. For you guys maybe, but not here in the states. Sorry, I'll move down there and open a shop as soon as I win the lottery!! But back on topic, I am really just doing this for fun. If I can get her running I'll toss it on a go-cart/dune buggy and have a really nice setup. Might not be Vtec but I can make her fuel injected easily.