PDA

View Full Version : No vtec after CAI? or what is the problem?

Dxs
23-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Hey guys,
I have an EF8 Crx with a b16a1.

Basically i installed a pipe from the front bar to under the airbox yesterday for a cold air feed.. and now it seems vtec doesnt like to engage.

My mods to the car are a full exhaust (H-C-CB) with all original sensors, a grounding kit and a panel filter with the cold air piping.

I dont get any vtec engagement.. well it doesnt sound or feel like vtec. And it feels similar to when i had a pressure switch problem that is now fixed.
The thing is i get no engine light at all.

Temp gauge is around 1/3 from the bottom.. And sometimes vtec kicks in and a lot of the time it feels like nothing.

Is it possible that the cold air pipe is making the engine too cold for vtec engagement? it is winter and i have only been going for coldish mountain runs and the intake box is quite cold to touch

CRXer
23-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Considering ecu waits for 60 deg C(how do u make a degree symbol on a keyboard?) before allowing vtec & normal operating temp is in the 80's-90's,I doubt that is the prob.I could be wrong,just doesnt seem right to me.

Hook a light up to your solenoid valve & see if its kicking,5300rpm under full load I think for your motor.

Even pull down the passenger carpet & see if the ecu is throwing codes at ya,when you turn on the ignition.

aaronng
23-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Hey guys,
I have an EF8 Crx with a b16a1.

Basically i installed a pipe from the front bar to under the airbox yesterday for a cold air feed.. and now it seems vtec doesnt like to engage.

My mods to the car are a full exhaust (H-C-CB) with all original sensors, a grounding kit and a panel filter with the cold air piping.

I dont get any vtec engagement.. well it doesnt sound or feel like vtec. And it feels similar to when i had a pressure switch problem that is now fixed.
The thing is i get no engine light at all.

Temp gauge is around 1/3 from the bottom.. And sometimes vtec kicks in and a lot of the time it feels like nothing.

Is it possible that the cold air pipe is making the engine too cold for vtec engagement? it is winter and i have only been going for coldish mountain runs and the intake box is quite cold to touch
Have you checked to see if your thermostat has failed?
Try driving your car til the gauge reads 1/3 from the bottom. Does it go any higher by driving around? If it doesn't, then stop the car and let it idle. Does the needle go up then? If it does, then your thermostat has failed and it is stuck open.

BlitZ
23-07-2006, 02:59 PM
warm your car up then try again..
if still no..

eiher hook up led or check the current coming out of the VTEC pin out on the ecu... if ok.. then check the wire again right next ot the engine's solenniode..

Oh btw.. before u do all this... check and make sure the VTEC plug is plugged in at tha solenoide

Dxs
23-07-2006, 03:20 PM
i highly doubt it is the thermostate.. seeming as though i changed it 6months/6,000 k's ago

all wiring to the selnoid and pressure valve seem alright.. if they werent i would be getting engine lights..

i will check the ecu for codes as well but i doubt there will be any because engine light should come on if codes would exist

egSi
23-07-2006, 07:31 PM
thatll teack for not sticking with your oem box plus panel filter! lol kiddin mate ;)

does the car still rev out to limiter?

Dxs
23-07-2006, 09:33 PM

still stock airbox for now.. with some forza or something panel filter

i can rev over 6.8 when vtec sounds to be working

i will try it when vtec seems like a no go and see what happens.. i normally back off before 6k if i feel as though there is no vtec

ECU-MAN
23-07-2006, 09:39 PM
test light it like CRXer said

best way to tell what the ECU is doind

bennjamin
23-07-2006, 09:43 PM
what he said above. DIY ECU test la.
Click here for ECU TEST (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218)- should be very similar...On your ECU , the "code" is shown on a LED on the centre of the ECU (correct me people)

IF perhaps this "engagement" dosent happen anymore directly AFTER installing the CAI , perhaps you have disconnected something such as the vtec solinoid or a temp switch on the block etc ?

Dxs
23-07-2006, 10:13 PM
CAI was just piping from front bar.. not much touching of the actual stock intake besides moving the airbox out the way.
I am not talking about the newly common CAI where the intake pipe goes to the front bar.. but the old style terminolgy where u do some custom work to get air from the front to the airbox.

I will check the ecu tomoz.. but there should be a code present because the engine light comes on if that is the case. (i have dealt with codes before :/ )

Dxs
24-07-2006, 02:51 PM
i can rev beyond 6.8k
Sounds like vtec is much more quiet.. maybe altering the intake has make it quiet.. :/
will check codes tomoz though..

takes longer to warm up.. but i guess that is expected.. goes to around 40% mark when driving
maybe everything is fine :/