PDA

View Full Version : Boosting the S2k. couple of Q's

.::F[L]Y::.
23-07-2006, 10:26 PM
hi guys,

have been thinking abt this over the past few weeks and decided i will be back in the market for another s2k later this yr or beginning of next yr depending on my finances.

Anyways was thinking of going a different route to last time and boosting this time round. ;)

I know that this topic has been covered before but i have a couple of questions to ask of my own which has not been answered. I hope AusS200 and a few others might be able to help clarify a couple of things.:thumbsup:

first of all, i will be looking to buy a pre 02 model. Just since the engine will have about 60-70k km on the clock will boosting affect engine longetivity in any negative way? due to the high revving nature of the F20c?

Did you guys do any type of upgrade to the gearbox or diff or anything in that particular area? i would assume you would need to upgrade clutch?

For those who have a boosted s2k how much litres per 100km does ur S2k drink? if possible in traffic/highway conditions.

Finally abt the kit itself. Would it be cheaper to make up some sort of custom kit from various parts or just to buy a kit from the states? i have heard abt some issues with some of the kits from the US in regards to the powe steering and stuff like that? I would probably be installing this kit DIY style with the help of some mates so just wanted something which is straight forward and would not require alot of modifying.

any answers would be appreciated.

thanks

fatboyz39
23-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Its all in the tuning!

AusS2000
24-07-2006, 11:19 AM
I think fatboyz covered just about everthing. :(

Seriously FLY, these are all questions that have been covered ad infinitum over on S2ki. Asking here may get you different answers but I'm not sure that is a good thing.

If the engine is in good nick and you don't abuse the car you will be fine. Getting more power out of an engine is always going to stress it more but so will running low on oil. Do it properly and sensibly and you won't have a problem.

The only drive train upgrade I've done so far is the clutch. I wouldn't bother with this until the car needs it. Other like Elaug and H9k have done more serious drivetrain upgrades but their cars and requirements are very different to mine.

Mileage depends almost entirely on your right foot. I can get good mileage or terrible. It's my choice. Can't give actual number though.

With regards to kits, I can recommend both SC kits and the LoveFab MiniMe or V1 manifold and downpipe.

slugger
25-07-2006, 01:03 PM
I know of a S2k drivetrain mod involving a GT-R gearbox with an adapted bellhousing, a Silvia diff and custom driveshafts.
But, it is monstrously expensive.

BRU51N
25-07-2006, 03:38 PM
if u wanted to upgrade the gearbox, you could easily just get dog gearsets from local companies like PPG or something. drive in and out for about 6-9k depending what you want.

my mate is gonna take a look at my car when he gets back from his 6months contract work in about 2months, he is a metal fabricator, and is considering making a kit for the s2000's.. if i dont decide to go along with this plan, if you dont mind being the test car ill let him know. so far im considering not to use my car and keeping it n/a.

Vuey
26-07-2006, 03:22 PM
AusS2000

I think fatboyz covered just about everthing.

where's the "im with Stupid" smiley when you need it !:p

oh for the amount of money your gonna spend boosting it , and all the time off the road your car is going to have and problems etc , you might as well get a turbo car like an STI , GTR etc . Unless your full hectic like AusS2000 where you can do 95% of your own mods , its gonna cost you an arm and a leg :(

what happened to the "business" you were going to open Fly ?
back into dumping $$$ into cars again ? ahahahha

26-07-2006, 10:10 PM
AusS2000

where's the "im with Stupid" smiley when you need it !:p

oh for the amount of money your gonna spend boosting it , and all the time off the road your car is going to have and problems etc , you might as well get a turbo car like an STI , GTR etc . Unless your full hectic like AusS2000 where you can do 95% of your own mods , its gonna cost you an arm and a leg :(

what happened to the "business" you were going to open Fly ?
back into dumping $$$ into cars again ? ahahahha

"i will be back in the market for another s2k later this yr or beginning of next yr depending on my finances. "

would be something different and good to own i guess. Well in terms of doing my own mods im not too worried cus there will be always ppl around who can help.

BRU51N
29-07-2006, 03:51 PM
u should see your old car, that thing has some massive turbo strapped on the side of its engine. gonna be nuts when its on the road.

lol i hope the new owner isnt influencing you to get a turbo s2.

29-07-2006, 05:11 PM
u should see your old car, that thing has some massive turbo strapped on the side of its engine. gonna be nuts when its on the road.

lol i hope the new owner isnt influencing you to get a turbo s2.

yeh he told me he was gona boost it lol

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

stephen8512
29-07-2006, 10:22 PM
damn john
u thinkin bout gettin another S2K when u JUST finished makin a B20 JDM front end DC2
keep the DC2 man.....i personally love it

kraiye
30-07-2006, 06:18 PM
if it was me, personally i'd go for custom kit simply cause u got everything u need, nothing u dont, u dont have to worry wether anything else gets effected (eg: power steering) and it suits your car to a tee.

with no other major upgrades and 60-70k km's on the dial low boost like 7 or 8 pounds should be fine. i'm sure you wouldn't be holding onto the car for the next 15 yearsanyway! u'd have a killer ride!
(not that a standard s2k isnt already a killer ride ;) )

my 2.2c (havent u heard... interest is on the rise!)

01-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Aus: What turbo are you using?

AusS2000
07-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Phew, sorry for the late reply. I'm using a GT3071. Spools nicely by 3500 and has no problem boosting 8.5psi up top.

BTW, the problem with US kits is not 'Power Steering' it's 'steering'. As they are left hand drive their steering shaft runs under the intake manifold. SO they have no issue mounting a turbo down the other side below the exhaust ports. Unfortunately that is where our steering shaft runs so most US kits won't fit.

AusS2000
09-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Sounds like Whoosh has all your answers.

BRU51N
09-11-2006, 11:29 PM
i can answer all ur questions for boosting a s2k im the the one who owns johns old s2k with the turbo on it...its abig headache but u'll like the power it pushes out when it done. i made 200kw@ wheels on 4 psi on a garret gt3076r at bels garage...pm me and ill help you the right way....

mate, i must say your car is a MACHINE! ive seen it on the road afew times and it looks awesome i must say. has it got internal work?

[stealth]
10-11-2006, 12:43 AM
wouldve recommended to chat with a local who boosted his s2k to 300kw+ atw but he isnt around on the forums anymore if not at all hehe

10-11-2006, 03:45 PM
yes turbo s2k is on the cards.

but for now the teggy will have to do :P