PDA

View Full Version : Help!! ITS chassis question..

yakuza
24-07-2006, 03:57 AM
Hi Folks:

Before I make a decision to get ITS or ITR, something I am very concern.
I am wondering about Aust ver of ITS (DC5) chassis is as same as Aust ver of ITR (DC5)? if not, how much stiffness different? can underbody brace will strengthen the ITS chassis as rigid as ITR??:confused:
Anyone knows??

Many thanks

yakuza
24-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Hello...anyone knows?
Please help me!!!

matt
24-07-2006, 02:06 PM
im not 100% on this but i believe that the AUDM DC5R did use the JDM chassis, i would imaging that the type s would use the same chassi as the RSX Type S.
again im not 100%
strut braces etc, would cetrainly help, even with the JDM chassis.

yakuza
25-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks Matt.
Obviously, Aust spec DC5 type r still better than DC5 type S, no matter how hard Honda Aust was promoting DC5 type S is better than type R, even type r is not JDM type R.
What you guys think? I always think we can modify or replace any parts if we like except the chassis.
Right?!?!

1900-hustler
25-07-2006, 11:26 AM
yea u can always mod and replace parts.. u jus gta throw the right amount of money at it. i mean the list of aftermarket parts for the dc5r is huge.. not so much for the dc5s, and not knowing about the dc5s im not sure if the parts are interchangeable..

anyway i reckon a dc5r is a better option.. has the more sporty feel ie the recaros.. the dc5s i reckon is more of a cruiser.. imo of course..

Mattski_VTIR
25-07-2006, 11:39 AM
My understanding of the Chassis is that our Type R (AUSDM) and our Type S use the same chassis. Its all in the suspension set up and steering rack that makes the difference to how the car's handle (and lsd) I'm not completley sure on all the differences in suspension between the two, although i'm sure DC5R parts are still interchangble with DC5S (maybe not JDM due to swayarm changes etc) Saying this though, The DC5R will handle better stock due to its harder suspension settings etc, not the chassis its self. Just my take on it.

kongfu
25-07-2006, 01:30 PM
AUDM DC5R and JDM DC5R chassis are the same. AUDM DC5R use JDM DC5R interior,exterior.

Mattski_VTIR
25-07-2006, 01:41 PM
What are the "Chassis" difference between Type R Type S?? I know that suspension shock rate etc are different, and slightly different strut braces etc. I would have though the chassis was the same, its the components that are changed to increase rigity etc??

VTECACCORD
25-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I find it difficult to believe the suspension on jdm dc5r and auas spec dc5r are the same.

wouldn't it have different specs in order to suit the heavier chassis, and lower engine output ?

matt
25-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I find it difficult to believe the suspension on jdm dc5r and auas spec dc5r are the same.

the suspension is different, diff springs/shocks/LCAs etc,
what were trying to accertain is what are the differences in the chassis itself

Felix
25-07-2006, 05:01 PM
what were trying to accertain is what are the differences in the chassis itself

None. DC5R and DC5S both audm and JDM all use the same chassis i believe. Just different susspension/springs.
Actual chassis is the same.

yakuza
26-07-2006, 12:15 AM
As I know Aust spec ITR DC5 employed same chassis as JDM ITR DC5, both made by aluminium alloy, the result was 50% more rigidly and 30% lighter. Thats why I am quite concern about Aust spec ITS is use same chassis or not, if not ITS worth nothing :thumbdwn:.

kongfu
26-07-2006, 12:22 AM
the suspension is different, diff springs/shocks/LCAs etc,

And brembos, rims, red top engine cover, side indicator, rear bumper,etc.:wave:

05dc5S
26-07-2006, 02:31 AM
From my understanding, a DC5 chassis is a DC5 chassis. ie. they are the same (skeleton?) of the car... base/luxury/R/S/AUDM/USDM/JDM... however the parts that strengthen chassis rigidity are different, namely the strut braces and swaybars(leaning towards suspension rather than chassis rigidity)

JDM DC5R has the rear strut brace(floor bar) whereas the AUDM DC5 R and S dont. Sway bars are also different.

If u want to compare stock AUDM DC5R with DC5S, the chassis rigidity is pretty much the same except the DC5S also has a thicker rear swaybar compared to the AUDM DC5R and a slightly different (better) front strut brace. Suspension is also slightly diff DC5S is 7mm lower etc)

hope this helps

05dc5S
26-07-2006, 02:36 AM
and yes DC5R and DC5S aftermarket parts are interchangable

Mattski_VTIR
26-07-2006, 09:10 AM
From my understanding, a DC5 chassis is a DC5 chassis. ie. they are the same (skeleton?) of the car... base/luxury/R/S/AUDM/USDM/JDM... however the parts that strengthen chassis rigidity are different, namely the strut braces and swaybars(leaning towards suspension rather than chassis rigidity)

JDM DC5R has the rear strut brace(floor bar) whereas the AUDM DC5 R and S dont. Sway bars are also different.

If u want to compare stock AUDM DC5R with DC5S, the chassis rigidity is pretty much the same except the DC5S also has a thicker rear swaybar compared to the AUDM DC5R and a slightly different (better) front strut brace. Suspension is also slightly diff DC5S is 7mm lower etc)

hope this helps

Couldn't have said it better my self, it appears as though the front strut brace has an extra support to the strut tower (3 not 2), In the S that is! If you dont plan to modify suspension then the AUDM DC5 R is better set up for track etc. If you plan to change suspension components then your not going to notice any difference between the two due to the "chassis"

aaronng
26-07-2006, 11:20 AM
The 05 JDM DC5R has a more "comfortable" suspension setup over the original 01 DC5R. "Comfortable" as in the 05 was more confident on the track while being easier to tune at the same time. If you can find out if the suspension geometry of the DC5S is similar to that of the 05 JDM DC5R, then I'd go for the DC5S.

aaronng
26-07-2006, 11:21 AM
And brembos, rims, red top engine cover, side indicator, rear bumper,etc.:wave:
AUDM DC5R doesn't come with Brembos... Only the JDM did.

matt
26-07-2006, 11:43 AM
The 05 JDM DC5R has a more "comfortable" suspension setup over the original 01 DC5R. "Comfortable" as in the 05 was more confident on the track while being easier to tune at the same time. If you can find out if the suspension geometry of the DC5S is similar to that of the 05 JDM DC5R, then I'd go for the DC5S.

i would have thought the geometry would be a similar story to 01-04 models, with the JDM using diff LCA's etc but to brembo brakes

aaronng
26-07-2006, 01:38 PM
i would have thought the geometry would be a similar story to 01-04 models, with the JDM using diff LCA's etc but to brembo brakes
01-04 are the same. It's the 05 that's different.

I just saw the Hot Version DVD and between the 2 stock DC5Rs of 01-04 and 05, they actually said that there was something about the 01-04 suspension geometry that made it hard to tune the suspension to increase handling. The 05 on the other hand was easier to tune and they said that they were looking forward to the 05 tuning parts.

Too bad Honda Australia axed the 05 DC5R and brought in the DC5S instead. Otherwise, there would be a car that could handle as good as the DC2R.

05dc5S
26-07-2006, 03:12 PM
having said all this, i think all this is irrelevant once u modify as most ppl would in the car scene. most ppl who own dc5's would upgrade the stock suspension to aftermarket coilovers and/or swaybars anyway for handling purposes (as well as looks as the stock look is just too high) and some like myself will upgrade the strut braces (front and rear-floor, mid and c-pillar) to increase chassis rigidity

stock for stock, i would think AUDM DC5R and DC5S are very similar. MOTOR did a comparison a while ago and the laptimes were very similar. The AUDM DC5R was had SLIGHTLY better laptime but if i remember correctly it was due to the different gearing or final drive ratio which favoured the DC5R on that particular track rather than the suspension

To me, the only thing that's really missing on the DC5S are the recaros and lsd :)

aaronng
26-07-2006, 03:23 PM
It's not that simple. The suspension tuning that I mentioned was with coilovers and stiffer chassis braces. The suspension geometry that I am talking about is about the rear double wishbone design. Honda improved it over the 01-04. If the 05 DC5S has the same double wishbone specifications as the 05 DC5R, then the DC5S would potentially have greater suspension tuning potential.

In the Motor comparison, the extra power in the DC5S was offset by its added weight as shown in the 1/4 mile time. If the 05 DC5S is able to keep up with the 01-04 DC5R on the track while not having an LSD and inferior gear ratios, then the suspension geometry in it could be that of the revised 05 DC5R's!

yakuza
26-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Thank you very much for you guys gave so many of information & opinion. I think I still need a couple of weeks to think about what I should get.

05dc5S
26-07-2006, 06:19 PM
^ good luck, im sure you'll be happy with either choice ;)