PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of dual powered subs?

JaCe
24-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Just wondering what is the point of dual sub? Does it sound good? How about two low powered subs (eg. two 12" Punch P1's) versus a slightly more powerful single 12" Punch P2 or P3?

I ask this because Lifestyle quoted my friend a smooth $1000 for a RF mono amp, the dual 12" P1s (with case), the install, Alpine line-out, and all wiring. Seems like a good deal.

marcs
24-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Not sure what the purpose of dvc is but it does give more wiring options with dvc subs. I think performance wise you wouldn't notice any difference between a dual and single voice coil sub.

If i had the choice between 2 lower power subs vs 1 higher powered sub i'd go for the 1 high powered sub.

Fr3aKi3
24-07-2006, 02:09 PM
^^^ Purpose of Dual Voice Coils (DVC)

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=163

The primary advantage of the dual voice coil speaker is wiring flexibility. A single dual voice coil driver offers the user three hookup choices...parallel, series and independent. In a parallel hook-up the driver's impedance will be half that of each individual coil (a dual 4 ohm speaker would be a 2 ohm speaker in parallel.) A series hook-up results in twice the impedance of each single coil (a dual 4 ohm speaker results in 8 ohms if its coils are wired in series.) Finally, you can wire each voice coil to a separate channel of your amplifier, which can be useful if your amplifier is not mono-bridgeable or if you are bridging a four channel amplifier down to two channels to run your sub.

Two subs look prettier and will probably play louder (obviously dependant on subs), theres more flexibility in wiring if you have 2 subs (eg two 4ohm subs can be wired to either 2 or 8 ohm). That being said I'd personally stick to a single good sub than 2 average ones. Think about it this way, for the price of a new civic you can get 2 hyundai getz. Don't know about you but i'd be putting my money on the civic, it all depends on what you're after.

arverson
24-07-2006, 06:09 PM
yup dvc allow for more wiring options.

no difference in sound what-so-ever from dvc to svc.

jace, wat exact model RF subs r u comparing??

freaki3, nice analogy bout the hyandai n civic. i agree, go the one betta sub instead of 2 lesser ones.

DC5TYPER
25-07-2006, 07:51 PM
yup dvc allow for more wiring options.

no difference in sound what-so-ever from dvc to svc.

freaki3, nice analogy bout the hyandai n civic. i agree, go the one betta sub instead of 2 lesser ones.

Are you sure?
Same Subs one at 4Ohm and the other a DVC (4OHm each) in Parallell making 2OHm, You still reckon it will sound the same even tough the DVC is running more current due to half the resistance?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

micka
25-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Are you sure?
Same Subs one at 4Ohm and the other a DVC (4OHm each) in Parallell making 2OHm, You still reckon it will sound the same even tough the DVC is running more current due to half the resistance?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I think we can safely assume that's not what was meant, all other things equal. SVC 2 ohm sub Vs DVC 4 ohm in parralel (overall load of 2 ohm) will be near enough to identicle. DVC will allow for more flexability in order to use an amp to it's maximum potential capability, it's still important to get the correct voice coil configuration.

gReY-oNe
25-07-2006, 08:53 PM
wow so much riting i didnt read it but i think the dual sub is capable of deeper/;lower frequencies...where as the stronger one will pump more but will not produce the low bass as the dual...

gReY-oNe
25-07-2006, 08:56 PM
BTW im assumin u ment dual coil wen u sed dual powered

they last longer!...and should be harder to blow.....but if they got low resistance it'll still blow easily...also if the resistance is too high u'll need a really strong amp which can push out alot of power

SPL77Civic
25-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Only difference between a DVC woofer and a SVC woofer is as has been mentioned.

Flexibility for wiring
And gReY-oNe kinda got it right as far as the harder to blow comment.

Basically, VC heat up when power is applied, in theory a SVC will last half as long as a DVC of the same brand/model, this is because the SVC takes on all the heat whilst the DVC woofer has 2 coils to share the heat.

So in a way a DVC woofer will handle a given amount of power for longer than its SVC counterpart.

SPL77Civic
25-07-2006, 09:29 PM
i didnt read it but i think the dual sub is capable of deeper/;lower frequencies...where as the stronger one will pump more but will not produce the low bass as the dual...

This is incorrect, the quantity of woofers won't determine how low the response will be.....it is the box that will do this.

IMO unless you are looking to compete in SPL or create a knock out show install, you only need one good quality sub.

2 cheap subs will pretty much always sound like 2 cheap woofers ;)

But a single good quality woofer in the correct box with a bit of power up its ass will hammer and sound fantastic in the process.

marcs
25-07-2006, 09:38 PM
So i think we all agree you should get 1 high quality dual voice coil sub. Make sure you also get a suitable amp that will allow the sub to run at full potential.

JaCe
26-07-2006, 09:41 AM

Yeh I thought that was a nice analogy :)

And my mate was looking at 2x 12" RF Punch P1 subs.

Found this other brand called "US-audio" which was really cheap at Autobarn... not sure on the quality though.

integraz
26-07-2006, 11:51 AM
us audio- i wouldn't touch it, btw how cheap is cheap?
well u do get what u pay for.

I reckon one good sub will be better than 2 low models, also the sound quality would be better, and also you would have boot space.

But unless your after the cool factor, and symmetrical.

he should get maybe 1- p2 or p3 sub, instead, or maybe Alpine TypeR?
Or Kicker CVR.

Maybe you should take him to the places u get your stuff at- lifestylestore, more better than autobarn.

Also look at the MB quart discus sub [ at lifestyle store as well]- looks really nice, and SQ would be realli good- also nice pricing as well.

JaCe
26-07-2006, 12:41 PM
LOL I saw the MBQ Reference dual-subs and was like.. *wow*. Even the single sub in glass casing looked awesome.

Btw, when I say cheap, I'm saying $299 for a ported box dual 12" sub (1000w rms, 136dB) with UV meters. There's even a dual 10" in sealed enclosure for $99.

Ref: http://www.autobarn.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=core1261&nav_cat_id=core599&nav_top_id=core158&view=&history=1&gback=home&dsa=1270#Top

Fr3aKi3
26-07-2006, 12:44 PM
MBQ subs look classy.... lol

Jo_e
01-08-2006, 02:09 PM
LOL. Jace how many times have u referred to me as ur anon. "friend" =P
I only wanted the 2 subs coz it looked more balanced then just one in da trunk. The quote i got was alright, but being such a n00b to sound i would still rather get new wheels with a k.
But.. lifestyle sent me their catalouge again yday and i was slightly tempted by their offer...
PS. did u end up fixing ur sub from last saturday?

JaCe
03-08-2006, 09:14 AM
LOL. Jace how many times have u referred to me as ur anon. "friend" =P
I only wanted the 2 subs coz it looked more balanced then just one in da trunk. The quote i got was alright, but being such a n00b to sound i would still rather get new wheels with a k.
But.. lifestyle sent me their catalouge again yday and i was slightly tempted by their offer...
PS. did u end up fixing ur sub from last saturday?

They don't even send me catalogues! I feel so unloved.

If it were me, I would've gone with the 2xP1 for $1000 installed with an RF amp. That'll sound good and RF looks good too. The MBQ subs were very nice in their glass case though eh?

What offer did you get this time?

As for my sub, it was actually the front split which had problems. Not sure what it was but I'm taking it back on Saturday to get it checked out.

Btw I refer to you as my "friend" just in case you don't want people to know who you are (or that despite what you say about not being a ricer....)~

Elwood
11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
asif buy p1's..

audioline fo' lyf!