PDA

View Full Version : DYNO Comparisons between US and OZ

94vtirozguy
25-07-2006, 12:26 PM
i read years ago that the drivetrain loss settings on the US dynos is less than ours.

I can't find the article, does anyone know the difference ?

CTR Coupe
25-07-2006, 01:22 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31004&highlight=us+dyno

Twincam16
25-07-2006, 01:23 PM
It was in a recent issue of Street Machine, Victor Bray was commenting on how the yanks had different calculations to determine HP loss to the wheels. Somehow worked out ours was much more realistic. No idea where its at though, but the info might help.

Slow96GSR
25-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Also, you must take into concideration of emissions, altitude, and weather. Also your toilets drain the wrong way.. see the Simpsons for the facts!!

jimmeh
25-07-2006, 04:23 PM
dyno in the US read 15% higher than ours

94vtirozguy
25-07-2006, 06:05 PM
thanks guys. i cant get that link article up though :(

Slow96GSR
25-07-2006, 08:10 PM
dyno in the US read 15% higher than ours

Also depends on the last time a calibration was done. I know here we use dynos a lot more than down there but here we are lazy and don't always calibrate before use!!

EfiOz
26-07-2006, 02:24 PM
It takes years (or hundreds of hours) for a dyno to go "out of calibration". The only thing to calibrate is the load cell. Most dyno's use pretty high quality units that stay in service for years before needing looking at.

It's more the "fudge" factors used on certain brands as well as the high proportion of DynoJet dyno's which all read very high.

Slow96GSR
26-07-2006, 03:04 PM
It takes years (or hundreds of hours) for a dyno to go "out of calibration". The only thing to calibrate is the load cell. Most dyno's use pretty high quality units that stay in service for years before needing looking at.

It's more the "fudge" factors used on certain brands as well as the high proportion of DynoJet dyno's which all read very high.

So you own a Dyno? I do, In fact we just got two new ones, an engine dyno and a chassis dyno. Have a 3 year old SuperFlow but they aren't worth it anymore. But Yes a chassis dyno lasts longer but an engine dyno can come out of tune very easy, especially when you do 100 pulls on it. It's also cheaper to run then the chassis dyno so it does get used more. As for years you would be wrong try months, but also depends on how much it is used. A high quality shop would calibrate it after every 5-10 cars just to make sure. A cheap shop would do it whenever they want, and we aren't cheap.

EfiOz
27-07-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm actually the EFI University instructor for Australia so I've had a bit to do with them. Yeah, SF902's go out of whack but a good Froude stays in cal for yonks. What chassis dyno needs to be cal'd after 5-10 cars??