PDA

View Full Version : Article/DIY: EF8 Specific Intake install.

Dxs
25-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Condition: The articles found in this forum are provided only as a guide/reference. Neither Ozhonda nor the author take responsibility for the outcomes related with following these guides. You do so at your own risk!

Ok, as most EF8 (Crx Sir) owners know there is little support in the way of intakes for our cars. This is because support would only be in japan, and the EF8 is a dead car to them now.. so no support. Also the ED crx's have a different engine and engine bay design so their intakes will not be a direct bolt on.

Now what my plans to do included get a metal pipe to an apexi pod and have a cold air pipe from the front bar.

The parts and tools i used are as follows:
ED Style Short ram intake Kit off ebay
Apexi Pod (get the right sized one)
3inch Apexi pod adapter
Hose clamps
Silicone vacuum hoses
Plastic nipple
Glue
3inch joiner
Mesh
Aluminium flexi piping
Zip ties

Grinder
Metal File
Sandpaper
Prepwash
Masking tap
Socket set
Screwdrivers
etc etc

Ok here we go...
http://i7.tinypic.com/20z4rwm.jpg
1) Firstly rip out the stock intake.. Unscrew the 4 bolts from the top of the airbox.. then unbolt the 3 bolts attaching the bottom of the box. Then remove the box brackets from the body. And remove the pipe from the throttle body by undoing the clamp.

2) It should then be removed.

3) This is my cold air pipe from the front bar. Basically i removed the bar, cut a hole, put mesh over it.. and alighned a flexi pipe with the help of clamps and wire from the front bar to the hole under the air box.

4) Yeah, dylanamus did a little write up about how he did his in his 'found my car' thread on crxaustralia.

http://i7.tinypic.com/20z4uq0.jpg

5) This is the pipe that came with my short ram kit. The kit included a filter some clamps and other bits and pieces. It is meant for an ED Crx. It can bolt in and be aligned in an EF8 with the filter that came with it.. But the alignment isnt good enough in my opinion. Also note the pink arrow. Note that there is only one 'nipple' to attach hoses/ines to.

6) Ok after join the apexi filter to the pipe with a rubber joiner and the pipe to the throttle body. I worked out that the pipe needed to be cut. The pod needed to be further up and to the right near the battery. So after many test fitments i ended up cutting around 3-4cm off the pipe where it attachs to the pod and around 1.5cm to where it attaches to the throttle body. I basically taped the pipe to form a line on where to cut.. so i wouldnt go crazy and end up with a shit cut. Basically just used a cutting wheel and a grinder. I would recommend stuff a rag in the pipe when cutting so metal particles dont go all in the pipe. I also had to file and sand the cut edges to smooth them.

7) Ok this is the apexi pod and adapter. I chose the apexi one because it is known as the best pod on the market (flow and filtration) and doesnt need oiling. I also had one on my old s13 and was happy with it.

8) Just a pic of a test fitting.

http://i7.tinypic.com/20z5fdw.jpg

9) Ok.. this is a pic of near the throttle body. As you can see there were 2 lines attached to the stock piping. One goes for cam cover ventilation and the other goes to something on the throttle body. I was thinking about just puting a breather on the cam cover but they are illegal for emission laws.. and i am a greeny so i decided against that.

10) What i decided on was to get a nipple and basically drill the pipe and glue the nipple on. The black thing pointed to is the nipple. And the crazy dude at autobarn suggested this gel like glue to stick it down. In hindsight i should have just gotten something solid.. but this will do the job fine.

11) Ok i got the nipple.. one side fit the hose to the thing on the throttle body perfect and the other side was a little fatter. Which was what i wanted. I think drilled a hole in the pipe the same size as the fat end of the nipple. The nipple could be pushed in with a little force and would just stay there. http://www.crxaustralia.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

12) I then glued around the nipple to form a perfect seal.

13) Also i got some brackets with the intake. But I didnt fully understand how they worked.. and probably werent applicable to my car. So i got one of the brackets and bolted it to one of the old air box mount holes and drilled another hole in it (where it is pink)

14) This is a bad pic. But what it shows is that there was metal piping from the stock airbox to the cam cover vent. I basically cut as much as i could off to tidy the place up. If u have the time u can remove it but undoing the water line that goes to the throttle body etc and cutting it nicely or replacing it. But i dont have that sorta time. :p

http://i7.tinypic.com/20z5j4y.jpg

And then install it. I had spare silicone lines.. so i just used them to connect the cam cover vent and the thing on the throttle body. I also used zip ties to do a loop over the intake pipe to the bracket i attached to the body. It was suprisingly very secure and i am happy with how it is. Also after install, reset the ECU and let the car warm up without touch it before driving it.

I took it for a good drive through the mountains.
I have noticed mid range torque increase.
Also better and smoother throttle responces.
The sound of the filter is fairly quiet.. a little hiss. I was expecting much more, on my old s13 turbo the pod was hissing like a bitch.
But it does improve the the tone of the engine at mid revs and vtec sounds a bit different.

With heat, after a good drive the pod and the piping just after the pod is cold.. So the piping from the front bar is doing its job and it doesnt even seem like there is a need for a box or a wall around the pod. The piping at the throttle body end is warm.. but this is to be expected. It was as hot as the throttlebody itself.

Overall a good improvement over my old stock piping box and forza filter.. fairly cheap too

ECU-MAN
30-07-2006, 12:04 AM
pretty cool DIY,

looks nice and tight in their,

good Job

SiReal
04-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Good stuff mate. Great to read your review about it as well.

qikteg
04-08-2006, 02:33 PM
looks excellent! just for reference's sake, the same intake pipe can be used on the gen1 integra with no modifications.

and where'd you get that strut brace?

Dxs
04-08-2006, 06:21 PM
strut brace was on the car when it came from japan.

KYH or some no name.. you can get them off yahoo japan auctions if you look hard enough, i believe you can get RSR front braces and various model Cusco's.. i imported some Cusco hollow Oval bars for 'Dylanamus'...
maybe even check ebay for yamcha chinese ones too

i am crapping on

Kawasaki
05-08-2006, 09:21 AM
looks good, relocate the battery :)

panda[cRx]
05-08-2006, 06:14 PM
nice, what intake did u use? i know u said u got off ebay but there are that many cheapo ones on there with different shapes and designs it's not funny =/

qikteg
05-08-2006, 06:28 PM
i got mine through a dealer. its a genuine simota one..

Dxs
05-08-2006, 10:13 PM
i would say all the cheapo shit is the same thing..
just if u want the pod in your engine bay.. get the short ram pipes, not the CAI pipes

the one i used is bomz racing..
and the battery is staying where it is