PDA

View Full Version : gearbox light blown perhaps?

fadz
26-07-2006, 08:44 AM
hey is there a fuse for the auto gearbox light, as it doesnt light up when i drive at night, usually would turn on when my headlights are on, it doesnt turn on at all, im thinking it could be a blown bulb or fuse out, if its a fuse what colour would it be as iv went through most the Red's and there all fine...

destrukshn
26-07-2006, 08:47 AM
there's a bulb there, a 5w wedge (t10) if i remember correctly, so it's the same bulb as your parkers.
check that first before you go any further.

fadz
26-07-2006, 08:48 AM
i will thanks :D

fadz
27-07-2006, 05:30 PM
i just changed the globe, and it still isnt turning on, i figured its the fuse 10a which is for the instrument cluster, tail light, plates light, iv put 3 10a's in and theyve all short circuited any idea, what it could be short circuiting off, causing this fuse to keep blowing?

CRXer
27-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Has it just started blowing fuses since you put the new globe in & which globe was it exactly that you replaced?

Also what aftermarket gear,stereo,alarm,new rear bumper,etc do you have/recently fiddled with, that might be associated with any globes on that 10A circuit?

Do u have multimeter/know how to use it?

fadz
27-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Has it just started blowing fuses since you put the new globe in & which globe was it exactly that you replaced?

Also what aftermarket gear,stereo,alarm,new rear bumper,etc do you have/recently fiddled with, that might be associated with any globes on that 10A circuit?

Do u have multimeter/know how to use it?

its been blowing fuses for a while only realised it today becoz at first i had thought my gear box light had blown, turns out it wasnt that and infact everytime id put another 10a fuse in, it would just blow, as for stereo,alarm any of that other stuff, nothing is new, besides a swaybar?
i dont have a multimeter naa...

CRXer
27-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Sorry man,not quite following what your saying.

Your best bet is to take it to an auto elec,or u can just take out all the globes associated with that fuse & put them back in one at a time until you identify which one is blowing the fuse & then trace the fault on that leg of the circuit.

If I was to take a stab at it I would say either the dimmer switch or a globe which is mounted in an upright position such as gear selector light cos the filament can drop into the base and short the globe if it breaks.Maybe look for areas that might be affected by water.

I highly doubt its a wiring prob if nothing is altered in your car.

fadz
28-07-2006, 10:44 AM
il see what happens thanks anyways for your help

fadz
28-07-2006, 03:55 PM
can anyone answer this for me, i changed the 10a fuse for the instrument cluster/plates light put the lights on low/normal beam and the fuse just blows, could it be its short circuiting off sumfn got to do with the headlights/parkers??? is that the prob perhaps?

destrukshn
28-07-2006, 06:48 PM
check your earthings?

CRXer
28-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Does it blow when you put the lights on parkers(1st position),or not until you put the headlights on(2nd position)?

fadz
28-07-2006, 08:56 PM
blows wen i put it on first position, im sure its the parkers as iv disconnected them for the moment and put tape on both of em, positive must be touching negative forcing it to keep blown the fuse?

CRXer
28-07-2006, 09:08 PM
If its 1st position,then could be a prob with any lights that come on when turned on,ie dash,cluster,tail lights,# plate,parkers......

If its not blowing since you disconnected the parkers,then its a local prob at the lights themselves.

If still got a prob you need to do what i said earlier,take all out & replace one at a time.
Or if you want to do it in reverse,get a fire exting.,phone to ring fire brigade,a pocket full of 10A fuses & take globes out one at a time till you find which one.

If it is the parkers,well done,take to auto elec & tell him you narrowed down the prob to them saving you some dough.

fadz
28-07-2006, 09:47 PM
prob solved :d
just dc'd them from each other , and put a fuse in and it worked..thnx anyways for ur help