PDA

View Full Version : DIY paint job - those "black stripes"

gronkd
26-07-2006, 11:47 AM
hey guys,

im sure this has been posted already, though i can't seem to find it in the search. Could anybody help me please! >.<

That black strip that goes around the body of a Honda Civic EK. it looks bloody ugly ! could somebody help me..

how do i take it off??? i want to give it a bit of a spray. :]

cheers !

(front bumper and along the doors through to the rear bumper, if you know what im talking about)

http://www.homoludens.com/EK3Ifront.jpg

marte
26-07-2006, 11:53 AM
leave it on & spray over? if not talk to your panel beater

G-Stick
26-07-2006, 11:59 AM
undo ur inside door panels and rear panels and u should see a clip holding the strips.

gronkd
26-07-2006, 12:00 PM
yeah.. i was thinking about that.. cover up the body with some newspaper.. but eh, dont wanna do a bodgy job..

gronkd
26-07-2006, 12:01 PM
omg! >.< so much effort. lol .. though i was told it just pops straight out? i've given it a bit of force, but no good, don't wanna pull it too much.. scared it might snap

vinnY
26-07-2006, 01:09 PM
just pop off the front bar to get to them. its only about 2 bolts, 2 screws and about 7 of those plastic screws
3 minutes to get off, easy as :thumbsup:

edit; oh wait didn't realise you wanted the door panel ones
either way its not that hard, just 2 screws or 1 screw and the window winder and carefully pop the panel off, easy as :p

qikteg
26-07-2006, 01:22 PM
i'd just give em a light sand back on the car, paper and tape it up and just spray it on the car

Cold Fusion
26-07-2006, 01:26 PM
tape it up using masking tape and use paper to cover up ur car, then sand it back using a few different sand papers and then prime it up (using silver primer coz ur car is silver) and then pout about 3 coats of the spray paint on, waiting about 10min between each to let dry, then finish off with a coat or 2 of clear coat to get the glossy look.

the best way to spray paint is to go form side to side, but start moving your hand BEFORE you start to spray, and take off BEFORE u stop moving ur hand, that way it is more consistant.

marte
26-07-2006, 04:38 PM
If your gonna spray. depending on thew quality you want from it, dodgy jobs are visible, take it to ur panel beater they wouldnt charge much for the strips but yeah. its more cost effective to do your self

m3ntAL_l2
26-07-2006, 05:23 PM
kinda off topiC here but with that sliver colour.... is any sliver will do?? or do i/he hav to go n get the paint coustom mixed from a paint shop?

gReY-oNe
26-07-2006, 05:27 PM
its better off if u go get it mixed if u want a good match if ur not fussy den any will do i suppose
im sure are places that would mix the paint and put them into spary cans

EK4R
26-07-2006, 05:29 PM
use the silve colour of your car, because you want to look good....not standout.

i did mine and look fines. infact i took the front and back off and put putty and filled it up. looks even better if you dont have them at all