PDA

View Full Version : Bounce or Spin

ian
13-05-2004, 01:35 PM
I've got a 2000 Civic vtir coupe stock apart from lowered springs.

When I've got my stock wheels on (15'x6' rims) and I launch off the lights I get a good/smooth wheel spin.

When I've got my 18' rims and I launch off the lights, it's not the same. It bounces, shudders and shakes then smoothens out.

I know it's quicker off the mark with stock wheels on, but am I able to overcome the bouncing with 18' wheels on? (and i know that the 18's are heavier too).

I'd really like to spin the 18's on the tarmac.........(do i have to make more power with some engine mods?)

[[d a n n y]]
13-05-2004, 01:36 PM
probly need more power..

by the looks

fusion_VTi
13-05-2004, 01:41 PM
i got the same problem mate but when its wet and i dont rev it enough. the car shakes and feels like the dash is gonna fall out. perhaps its cuz ur 18's are wider so you might need a few more revs to get the wheels spinning properly. i dunno just a sugestion.

ian
13-05-2004, 01:46 PM
dude i hit it hard but it still bounces (yup wider rims too)......i think i need more power.....hehehe

XXpl0Sive
13-05-2004, 01:47 PM
I think it's called bogging down :)
Add more revs and let the clutch out a bit first?

SIKCVC
13-05-2004, 02:25 PM
bogging down is worse then that dude... bogging down is when theres too much throttle for the for the amount of pull the engine is getting... ie opening the ventury too much.

bennjamin
13-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Yes.
Too much grip , not enough power.

Letting it bounce can be verrrryyy bad 4 ur transmission....either let the cluthc slip or just rip a burnout - either way that is only stress on the clutch....whihc is cheaper than an entire transmission !

poid
13-05-2004, 03:10 PM
this is called wheel hop, and its a nice easy way to break axles :)

More power wont help, it'll make it worse. Suspension geometry and driving style has a lot to do with how much wheel hop you get. My thinking here is that when putting the 18's on, you have a hard sidewall instead of a soft one, and the entire wheels hops instead of the sidewall taking the brunt of it on the higher proflie tyres on the stock wheels.

I found stiffening up the suspension has helped wheel hop on my car

weezer
13-05-2004, 03:20 PM
wheel hop can be caused by too high tyre pressure, problem with driveshaft, worn engine mounts or worn suspension.

Try lowering your tyre pressure some more. That might fix it

wynode
13-05-2004, 06:21 PM
As above

Weq
13-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Yes. i got a major case of wheelhop the other day - it was crazy bad for my tranny! Then i checked my tyre pressure the other day and it was 50psi! the tuners had inflated it to get a generic reading out on his dyno, and that was the cause!

ian
14-05-2004, 11:47 AM
I found stiffening up the suspension has helped wheel hop on my car

thanks, any recommendations where to go or what to get exactly?

ian
14-05-2004, 11:53 AM
my tyre pressure is 40psi (as recommended). lowered with kings springs on factory shocks.