PDA

View Full Version : which is the better spring

FR33K
13-05-2004, 04:51 PM
hey people...
lowering my car but duno with spring to choose
all the same price.. 380 installed
King Springs or KMAC or Jumbo or Pedders...

any opinions

cheebye
13-05-2004, 06:07 PM
if I had to choose from those, I'd go pedders or KMAC.. stay away from king's. If ur on a budget, go tein s-tech. otherwise speak to tanghy and get urself a set of spoon ones 8)

poid
13-05-2004, 07:18 PM
out of that list i'd go with Kmac. Heard bad things about Jumboz, Pedders tend to be OK for what they are, dont have much experience with King

JSL
13-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Well Kings make custom speced springs.. if you have a requirement they can do it for you.. im sure kmac and so on all do it..

cheebye
13-05-2004, 07:28 PM
kings are well known for their harshness and shock absorber killer due to it's non-progressive rate springs. dunno if they can 'customize' it for customers. tein's and spoon's are progressive rate ones and am led to believe that spoon ones are designed to match the factory honda shockers the best.

JSL
13-05-2004, 07:39 PM
kings are well known for their harshness and shock absorber killer due to it's non-progressive rate springs. dunno if they can 'customize' it for customers. tein's and spoon's are progressive rate ones and am led to believe that spoon ones are designed to match the factory honda shockers the best.

Well I have a set of progressive.. but its from DMS.. who orders it from Kings I am pretty sure.. 90% sure..

I am using DMS Springs, HnR Adjustable Shocks and Fightex (Toda) Damper Kit..

ginganggooly
13-05-2004, 07:54 PM

it's first time i've heard that. i'm fairly sure the stock springs aren't progressive anyway, although that could just be a bit of the early alzheimers kicking in. never heard about them bing too harsh either, if anything, most of the complaints i've heard were in regards to it being a little on the soft side.
booget was riding around with king superlows (or whatever they are) on stock vti-r shocks with no obvious side-effects in terms of shock life. 20k-odd km on 150k km old shocks and counting.

i'm running on a set of whiteline springs with koni yellow shocks and couldn't be happier... unless i had a set of DMS coilovers ;)

FR33K
13-05-2004, 08:42 PM
yeah i was leaning towards the kmacs as well... im lowering 3 inches.. im using stock shocks.. but out of a civic coz teg shocks run out of travel as soon as u lower more then 1.5 inches....

how much am i looking at for tein and spoon ??

cheebye
13-05-2004, 08:47 PM
tein s-tech ones are about $450 depending on where u look. spoon's ar a bit more.

regarding the king's, quite a few guys I know have had their springs sag after a while. and just to clear up the myth about killing the shocks, if the car is dropped more than 2inches from standard, it WILL reduce the life of the factory shock absorbers, compared to lets say a good matched pair of springs plus aftermarket shocks eg. koni's, eibach, etc..

otherwise, from my personal experience and those of others who have used them, I will not go near king springs. if u want just springs, go tein's or spoon.

olda
13-05-2004, 09:21 PM
hey people...

any opinions

Eibach and H&R are progressive springs and are matched to work with stock shocks.
Not much "DROP" thought. 1.7" max ;)

A'PEXi
13-05-2004, 11:11 PM
i think they are all pretty much the same, australian manufactured? correct me if im wrong. i've actually got some lovells which do the job alright, once again australian manufactured. i think if you go to the euro/jap brand progessive then they will be a bit better but more $$

Redteg
14-05-2004, 12:20 AM
FR33K, remember that its a totally different ball game when using Civic shocks. Talk to one of the spring suppliers cause you'll find that stock (and lowered) DA springs will be too tall for the Civic shocks. I'm thinking of trying DC springs.

My King Springs which were 3cms lower than stock were still too tall for the Civic shocks, and would have had to be compressed too far.

also, the King Springs, if anything, were very soft to me, with the rears progressive.

kiddoDC2
14-05-2004, 04:27 AM
when puttin aftermarket springs on stock shocks would the ride be very harsh?

i know you cant adjust the damper rate but i might consider some aftermarket ones (teins or spoon maybe) for the time being until i save up for better shocks

do they still work well on stock shocks?

Jus-10
14-05-2004, 10:43 AM
I personally would stay away from Kings...I know plenty of guys where they have sagged, and I know of 2 mates where they have snapped....

Kmac will do whatever specs you want - height, harshness/rate, progressive, whatever! They also have shocks to match the springs which, while not the best out there, do a decent job. You can even get shortened shocks to compensate the lowering so that the spring remains captive on full droop.

Good if you're on a budget and want decent results.....

JSL
14-05-2004, 02:08 PM
ohhh just for reference on my comments... the springs I use are in my coilovers :)

FR33K
14-05-2004, 10:21 PM
what are progresseive springs ??
and yeah KMAC do customise what ever height you want etc..

so soft = ride comfort ?? and hard = handling ?? is that how is works
dont know too much bout these things

JSL
15-05-2004, 02:03 AM
what are progresseive springs ??
and yeah KMAC do customise what ever height you want etc..

so soft = ride comfort ?? and hard = handling ?? is that how is works
dont know too much bout these things

Progressive springs is what it means.. the harder you push into a corner the harder the suspension..

FR33K
15-05-2004, 11:26 AM
cool thanks

i rang up kmac and they told me that the springs are progressive... for any1 whos curious..

FR33K
15-05-2004, 11:30 AM
DA springs will be too tall for the Civic shocks. I'm thinking of trying DC springs.

My King Springs which were 3cms lower than stock were still too tall for the Civic shocks, and would have had to be compressed too far.

i asked (kmac) about using shorter shocks and they said it will be fine.. and im lowering 3 inches not 3 cms hehe so it should be alright (i hope)

BlitZ
20-08-2005, 04:57 PM

sorry dude.. i gotta disagree..
The civic superlow kings are prorgessive and soft and hell..
much softer than even std vtir springs..

I had them and then replaced them back to stock and my ride was harder and handled bettter...

Ridding on kings is the softest ride u can be on.

__arjay__
21-08-2005, 02:34 AM
dammit andrew... why are u asking silly questions like this! i wuldnt go with any of them.. expecially king springs.. get sum tein s techs or H&Rs from the US for about $250US shipped.

but coz u wanna dump yur car *shakes head* just get sum coilover sleeves. I dont think i couldnt get springs becoz i love my adjustability. get sum ground controls for $450AUS shipped or get sum omni sleeves sumwhere in australia.. one of my mates in canberra got sum for roughly 400-500 from my memory. an extra $100 is nothing :P

ONV73C
21-08-2005, 07:45 AM
:arrowu: yeh that... except the silly q ;)

get coilover sleeves... adjustability is the best.

FR33K
21-08-2005, 10:41 AM
haha well if u bothered to read the date of my post i started this thread about 14 months ago...
lol
someone brought it back from the dead
so no silly questions here :)

ITRBoI
22-08-2005, 12:09 PM
get coilovers!!! solve everything but cost a far bit though

ONV73C
22-08-2005, 09:56 PM
hahaaa.. 14months ago!!

now everything makes sense :rolleyes:

i didn't think u were that serious about lowering it *again*

__arjay__
22-08-2005, 11:59 PM
My bad andrew...

I didnt even had my car then... and i didnt even know u then! rofl.. its okay.. we have all educated eachother since then!

FR33K
23-08-2005, 07:56 AM
haha
although i would love to go a lil bit lower :) :) :)

BlitZ
21-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Ive definitly use king springs if my main intentions wasnt for performance.. if i was to get lowered springs for my gf or any other member of my family i would definitly get king springs.. its the best quality australian spring...

V-techWhore
21-09-2005, 11:33 AM
lol blitz, u sure u dont work for king springs?

BlitZ
21-09-2005, 11:35 AM
lovell - they sag
kmac - uncaptive but good springs
jumbos- the worst.. uncaptive and they RUST! kakak super supper hard
king springs - too soft for perfomance but good quality

BlitZ
21-09-2005, 11:36 AM
lol blitz, u sure u dont work for king springs?
kakakakkakakaak.....
just wanted to give a realisitic impression of it..
I use to be a full ricer and always used kings...
u use them for like 2 years and u take them out and its still imaculate.. kakak

shit performance though

sydteg21
21-09-2005, 11:39 AM
why nobody mention whiteline,they are good

V-techWhore
21-09-2005, 11:44 AM
why nobody mention whiteline,they are good

how much did whitelien pay u to say that.

LO_N_SXC
21-09-2005, 12:21 PM
hey people...

any opinions
I thought your car was already lowered?
But yeah Stay away fron Kings

go with K-mac I'd say or Lovell's are pretty alright!

I've also heard that Allsprings, moorebank NSW are pretty good and can make springs to order and also can make them to as low as you want them to be.

FR33K
21-09-2005, 01:36 PM
haha well if u bothered to read the date of my post i started this thread about 14 months ago...
lol
someone brought it back from the dead
so no silly questions here :)

LS Integra
22-09-2005, 10:06 AM
well u guys can help me out.. i got my tax return back =) and i got some $$$ to play around wid.. my mate works at super cheap and he can get me KYB something or else other and kings.. coz my shocks and springs have had it.. lol.. wat u guys rekn?

faijai
22-09-2005, 10:23 AM
freek if u after kmac springs off an integra
Boost on the forums is selling a set for a givaway price

FR33K
22-09-2005, 10:57 AM
lol for the 4th time... i posted this thread on 13-05-2004, 04:51 PM
im not looking for springs :)
but thanks for your help

sydteg21
22-09-2005, 04:43 PM
what's wrong with whiteline, why do i have to be paid to say that

mcdare
23-09-2005, 10:39 PM
not too sure 'bout springs tho ay. if possible, go coilovers man, they are worth it - adjustable... and can be resold. lol