PDA

View Full Version : DIY desqueek steering wheel

newmski
28-07-2006, 01:45 AM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To stop squeeking from steering wheel
Required: socket wrench
19mm socket
something to pry with (flathead screwdriver)
grease
Rag or paper towel
Steps: (pics reflect steps below)

Have you r steering wheel straight (wheels pointing dead forward before doing this and mark a line on your wheel and the base so you can align when finished.
1. This may differ depending on car however for the eg civic, pry out the "H" badge from your steering wheel to uncover the bolt holding down the wheel.
2. Grab your wrench and socket and undo the bolt and procede to pull out your wheel
3. Using the screw driver or similar pry out the plastic indicator thing
4. After these steps you should see all the crappy million year old grease on the steering base where your pull out your white plastic indicator thing. Use your rag and whatever you can to get all of that gunk out
5. Do the same for behind the white plastic indicator thingy
Regrease all the parts you cleaned along with pretty much all the contacting parts of the steering wheel with the base. Re-attach in reverse order making sure you align the wheel how you marked before starting.
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3046/untitled1tr0.jpg
Other comments

This worked like a charm for me and also made the steering a little lighter DIY4LIFE!:D

ECU-MAN
30-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Awosme Write up dude

love it :thumbsup:

Andrew21
29-08-2006, 10:07 AM
I can vouch for this process as i did this back on my EG.. Abit of generous grease and say goodbye to your squeek !!

P.S. Just make sure you put the white plastic " indicator thing " back on CORRECTLY the right way up, if you dont ,your indicators wont turn off automatically when you turn more than 90 degress ( i found this out the hard way ).