PDA

View Full Version : Changing projector bulb of Angel Eye Headlight

Ru$kI
28-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I've recently purchased a set of angel eye headlights for my EK1 sedan.

The projector gives off a yellow-tone colour, whereas I want it to be white/blue sorta colour. I know there are many people that sell normal H4 bulbs, but I can't find anything about projector bulbs.

Does anyone know if I can buy a spare projector bulb, where, and how much???

Cheers

Fr3aKi3
28-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Pull the bulb out and see, my guess would be that it'd still be a H4 bulb. If not it'll most probably be a halogen bulb which can be purchased at any auto shop.

It's not the projectors that is giving off the yellow colour, it's the bulb itself. I don't believe that halogen bulbs are specfic for projectors or reflectors (can someone else confirm this?), HID's do have specific bulbs for either reflectors or projectors but to my knowledge halogens aren't limited to what they're used in.

blk_shadow
28-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I've got one exactly like yours,
underneath the bulb on the outer casing there is a small lettering of the type of bulb. it should be H3 cos you have the high beam separately.

buy a Bj union, I use that, at least it's white with a tint of blue in some angles. :thumbsup:

otherwise chuck an HID kit.

blk_shadow
28-07-2006, 01:33 PM
It's not the projectors that is giving off the yellow colour, it's the bulb itself. I don't believe that halogen bulbs are specfic for projectors or reflectors (can someone else confirm this?), HID's do have specific bulbs for either reflectors or projectors but to my knowledge halogens aren't limited to what they're used in.

yep, it's only the bulb causes yellow colour, otherwise it's a normal projector lenses.

Ru$kI
28-07-2006, 02:10 PM
awesome...thnx guys. So i just pull the projector out & inside it shud b a normal H3 or H4 bulb which i just replace?

Also I noticed that the lights have a "throw-off" to the right side, whereas normal lights should do so to the left side. Its prolly coz these may have been manufactured in US (not 100% sure). is there any way to change the the "throw-off" to the left? by maybe "rotating" the projectors or their lenses180 degrees??

has anyone done anything similar?

blk_shadow
28-07-2006, 02:16 PM
it's a bit hard to replace the bulb, as the space is so tight that is impossible to put back the weather cap properly.
i took of my front bumper last time I changed mine.

about the throw off, are you sure yours made in USA? cos usually its taiwanese made.
but no, I haven't done that yet.

Ru$kI
28-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Yea im planning to take the front bar off before taking the lights off. Plus I need to re-fit the bumper anyway since i feel its not sitting right atm.

As far as the make...im not sure...only reason why I thought US is coz of left-hand drive...hence the throw-off would be to the right.

Im gonna check with the guy whom I bought em off where he got them off.

But as far as rotating them...its the only idea i've come up with...i dont think its that impossible either...ill give it a fiddle one of these days.

blk_shadow
28-07-2006, 02:53 PM
let me know how you go.

as far as i know the projector is a sphere piece, that won't do any difference whether you rotate it or not.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

saxman
28-07-2006, 03:35 PM
inside the projector, there is a cut off shield... on some projectors, this can be flipped. You'll have to take apart the headlight to do so. Rotating the projector 180 degrees is just going to make it dark below the cut off and lit up above.

Does the projector lens have a blue tint to it or is it clear? A blue tinted projector will cast off a yellow hue.

For the love of god, do NOT put hid's into those projectors.

Ru$kI
28-07-2006, 04:12 PM
haha...thnx 4 the info saxman. has anyone taken apart a projector before??

As far as HID, theres no way im doing it since the housing will melt (says on the headlights themselves that its unsafe to use HIDs due to high temps)

blu3illusion84
28-07-2006, 05:40 PM
i remember when i first got my angel eye lights.. is actully the bulbs itself that make the light yellow~

go to autobarn buy a set of H3 Philip Crystal for your driving light and H1 for your high beam lights to make the matching colour for your angel eye lights

*cheer*

make sure you don't touch the bulbs :p

saxman
28-07-2006, 10:02 PM
haha...thnx 4 the info saxman. has anyone taken apart a projector before??

As far as HID, theres no way im doing it since the housing will melt (says on the headlights themselves that its unsafe to use HIDs due to high temps)

I've taken apart many projectors before... I have a bit of an hid obsession...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/saxman242/projectorcollection.jpg
(that's not even all of them :o )

as for not using hids in them... it's good advice not to, but not really for heat reasons... the 55w halogens will put out more heat than the hids

blk_shadow
29-07-2006, 01:50 AM
so, how many K's HID is safe to use with this projectors?

saxman
29-07-2006, 07:48 AM
so, how many K's HID is safe to use with this projectors?
the k rating is the color temp, doesn't have anything to do with heat.
4300k should always be used, if you're using hids for functional reasons.

Honestly, no hid's are safe in those headlights though, unless you change out projectors. Not for heat reasons, but for blinding oncoming traffic reasons.

If you want hids, DO NOT put them in those headlights.

blk_shadow
29-07-2006, 06:35 PM
ok, so basically these projectors aren't made for hid's

the new cars like the legend, bmws and mercs, all got projectors and hids standard yeah?

saxman
29-07-2006, 08:24 PM
ok, so basically these projectors aren't made for hid's

the new cars like the legend, bmws and mercs, all got projectors and hids standard yeah?
yes, but their projectors are designed for hids... just like the cars with reflector with hid stock use reflectors designed for hids, so it's not the same as putting them in stock headlights

What you could, however, do, if you want hids, is to take a projector from a car that comes with them, and replace the little H3 projector in your headlights with the hid projector. Would work much much better, allow you to actually utilize the output of the hids, and really wouldn't be that much work.

sivic
30-07-2006, 09:03 PM
as far as the "throw off" goes its got nothing to do with where they are made or designated to be sold. its just that from the factory the bulb position hasnt been set. you do this yourself to suit your car by adjusting the screw bits in the back. one screw will adjust on the horizontal axis and the other on the vertical axis. for gods sake dont go trying to rotate the projector lenses lol

saxman
31-07-2006, 03:53 AM
as far as the "throw off" goes its got nothing to do with where they are made or designated to be sold. its just that from the factory the bulb position hasnt been set. you do this yourself to suit your car by adjusting the screw bits in the back. one screw will adjust on the horizontal axis and the other on the vertical axis. for gods sake dont go trying to rotate the projector lenses lol
this is wrong

while correct aiming is important, projectors are designed to be used for either right hand drive use or left hand drive use.
Inside the projector there is a cut off shield that causes the light output to have a defined step. It's supposed to be lower on the side of on coming traffic, and higher on the other side.

Here is the light output of two different projectors... one is for a left hand drive vehicle(the lower beam) and one is for a right hand drive vehicle(the upper beam). (Disregard the size of the step between the two... one is an ece style projector and one is a dot style)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/saxman242/unknownbeam2.jpg

Ru$kI
31-07-2006, 06:09 PM
thnx 4 the pics n info saxman & others...

Yesterday I decided 2 re-adjust my front bar as I was unhappy with the way it was sitting after I put in the new headlights (too many "large" gaps between lights and panels).

While I was at it I thought i'll try 2 re-adjust the headlights too...and after a while I got them to a point i was happy with.
However when I went on the road...even though the overall position of the light on the road was much better and more evenly spread out...it seemed the lights are still pointing more towards the right (as if the beams from the projectors aren't horizontally straight...but veer off to the right bout 5 - 10 degrees).

That has been my problem from the beginning...so I may have used the term "throw-off" incorrectly here.

I'll get a friend to take a picture while im driving to show you what i mean, but i dunno when that will happen

Btw, the lights brand seems to be SONAR or sumthin like that

saxman
31-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Is there any means to adjust the lights horizontally?

If you can, you want them to be adjusted so that the lower part of the step(step goes like this -------\______ for a rhd car, the lower part of the step would be where the \ and the _____ meet0 is directly directly in front of the vehicle.