PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed urgently reguarding timing (civic si)

vuvu
13-05-2004, 06:54 PM
sup guys
well my car is fuked and now i know why
apparently my timing belt has jumped 4 teeth.. advancing the timing
i got civic eg si and the mechanic who had a look at it sed that its gonna need its head ripped off and he needs to take a look
he also sed minimum price im lookin at is 700 :cry: and can guy as high as 1500 :evil:
he sed the problem is that the valves good be bent and alot of other stuff could be bent as well.. all because the timing fuked up
has this happened to neone before? he sed resetting the time could help but who knows wat other problems may arise
i just need advice on this subject
thanks heaps guys
Vu

wynode
13-05-2004, 07:01 PM
DOn't get what he said confused with ignition timing.

But if your timing belt DID slip 4 teeth then you most probably do have bent valves cause the Si has an interference design.

You can't really tell how bad it is till you take the head off and inspect the vavles.

Weq
13-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Its true, if some teeth jumped you could have had piston slap and bending valves. If they are going to pull the head, 600 can get u a 2nd hand SOHC vtec engine these days (mini-me!). investigate that.

vuvu
13-05-2004, 07:24 PM
hmm so in othe words i'm fuked?
how much $$ would it take to just bolt on another d16a?
estimate labour cost?\
thanks

geo41e
13-05-2004, 07:32 PM
if ur gonna get an engine..rather go for a conversion tooa b16a..

however depends wah want,.

ECU-MAN
13-05-2004, 07:40 PM
four teeth is a fine line, you may still be ok.
Id be requesting your mechanic strip the timming cover off and put in a new belt ( with the correct tention and vale timming ) DO A COMPRESSION TEST. this way you know wher you stand with it.

* note your mechanic doesnt need to put the timming cover, and all the other bitz and peices back on just the harmonic balancer to keep the belt in place. then do a comp test

did it strip teeth of the belt? if so I you will have bent valves.
did it just jump a few teeth coz the belt had too much slack in it ? then its 50 50 chance you can get away with just a new belt.

Tiiming Belts MUST be replaced every 100,000kms or every 5 years.

Iv seen back yarders do timming betls on these engines and ballz it up by confusing the red timming for TDC, no bent valves. like I said its a fine line.

vuvu
13-05-2004, 07:43 PM
nah the teeth are still find.. i think so neway
should i try to just reset the timing and start it up? or u guys don't recommend this?
thanks

ECU-MAN
13-05-2004, 07:48 PM
No Im not talking bout the teeth. But the Correct Valve timming ( alighnment of the teeth ) .

reset the timming, unplug the coil, do a compression test. If the valve timming is set right and you start it up it will run rough if there is bent valves.

Mitch M
13-05-2004, 09:49 PM
WTF

whatever it is, you may as well get a new engine

go to Hanny's

he is putting another D16A in my car for around 1400

Rufes1
13-05-2004, 09:57 PM
FFS if had a buck everytime hanny's was mentioned for the answer of everything :roll:

I agree with ecu-man new belt and compression test. it may save u big bux by not having to rip the head off.

just go to at least 3 different garages and talk to them, each will give different oppinions and possible problems and it will give you a much better idea.

Mitch M
13-05-2004, 10:12 PM
FFS if had a buck everytime hanny's was mentioned for the answer of everything :roll:

... well its seems then that he must be doing something right ;)

perhaps a personal vendetta you have? :roll:

Rufes1
13-05-2004, 10:54 PM
nah i just remember the early days of this forum and pete and hanny's and now everyone goes on about them,

They are great there. It just seems the solution to too many problems is "take it down to hanny's"

mo
13-05-2004, 10:55 PM
What if you lived near Hanny's ??

Mitch M
14-05-2004, 05:30 PM
What if you lived near Hanny's ??

what if you lived AT hanny's? ;)

or parked your car outside hanny's and reclined the seat and slept there?? ;)

Weq
14-05-2004, 05:53 PM
What if u were married to hanny's. Then u could get all the work done for freeeeee...

dont take it to hannys if u want a conversion. he'll tell u to get stuffed.

Mitch M
14-05-2004, 06:23 PM
What if u were married to hanny's. Then u could get all the work done for freeeeee...

who said anything about a conversion ....

LOL the other week i asked him if he would put a B16A in my car... lol his reaction was quite funny :)

vuvu
14-05-2004, 07:02 PM
hmm alrite
new belt
compression test
gotcha

Qwooootz
15-05-2004, 06:35 PM

haha tru tru.. tell him u want to supercharge it as well lol for a good ol' hanny smackin''

actually robert knows a guy called william i think who does conversions pretty well!.. im sure robert wont mind given you his contacts

ML
17-05-2004, 06:55 PM
this is a prity common problem i have had it happen twice on my si but it only jump one tooth shouldnt cost that much to have a compresion test and re do the timing but cause it is a three hour job

bigjo5
11-02-2006, 03:07 PM
u think u had it bad??.. gheez.. not my timing ***d up my crank shaft was chewd out.. dam.. i got a new engine at dis stupid mechanic because i was desprate.. cost me 2g's to bolt another d16a in my car.. shiet.!! rego coming up soon 2 ..

essmangti
11-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Forget hannys already...bak to prob at hand

with the correct tention and vale timming

ECU how do you ensure correct tension in timing belt?
ive done one but all we did was push the tensioner up with a mallet until we felt it was tight enough and then tightened the tensioner!

is that OK?

essmangti
11-02-2006, 04:51 PM
i just realised this is 2004 thread :rolleyes:

duh

ECU-MAN
11-02-2006, 10:11 PM
dosnt matter about the age of the thread, Bring it back from ther dead

what you did is ok, but to confirm the belt tention, I press on the belt between the crank and the cam pulley, shoudl only be 1 to 1.5mm slack in it and no slack anywhere else.

you have to rotate the engine anti clockwise 2 compleate turns, then check the tention

check out the DIY on the timming belt in the DIY section