PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise please

TonySo
28-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Hey guys,

I have a Civic (EF9) and recently I would like to spend some money on it, budget is around 1k. Aim is just want to do something to it, not about gaining massive power (some is good tho :p ).

I had the car for a year, it has run about 10,000 km in my hand. During this time I have only changed engine oil twice and nothing else.

Just wondering what's the best to do:

1) Bring it to Honda and get a major service done (timing belt, gear box oil, brake fluid, spark plug and lead etc)

2) Upgrade to aftermarket flywheel & clutch

To be honest I have not much idea about how car mechanically works, like I have no clue whether the major service is due, I just thought it might be a good idea to do it since I don't know when it's last done. (The engine transplant was done 1.5 years ago so I guess all the oil and fluid was last changed since that time)

What would you guys suggest me to do with around $1k?

SIR GSR
28-07-2006, 07:51 PM
1) Depends on how many kms the car has done in total? It has only done 10,000km in your hands, so unless it is due for a major service, I wouldn't trouble yourself with it.

2) Depends on what mods your car has? As good as it is to have a good clutch, and light flywheel, there is not much point unless you are doing other stuff to it too.

As for best way to spend your $1,000...decide what path you and your car are going to take. If you are going for power, look at some of the options (aftermarket ecu..turbo upgrade...engine swap), but if you are going for show, look at kits, rims and other such things. Personally, I'd spend it on suspension and handling bits (swaybars, strut braces, new bushes) to make the car come more alive when you drive it.

The choice you take it entirely up to what you plan on doing with the car in the long run. We are all here to help and point you in the right direction, but you must take the big first step and decide where you are going :D

Sorry I can't give you a concrete answer.

TonySo
28-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the reply.

My car has actully got rims, strut bracers and lowered already. I am not a big fan of body kit so I guess i am not going to work on the outlook for now.

My plan is to upgarde bits and pieces year by year, at the moment it still has a stock B16A1 engine in it.

I was thinking about camshaft but apparently parts+labour will blow my budget easy (correct me if i am wrong), so now i am considering replace/upgrade spark plug & lead, along with flywheel and clutch.

Does that make sense? or I should actually upgrade something else before flywheel & clutch?

SIR GSR
28-07-2006, 08:03 PM
What about swaybars?

Before doing the flywheel/clutch, why not look at getting an exhaust put on?
Extractors, and full free flowing exhaust (about 2 1/2") would make a nice difference to the B16 as they seem to respond well to being able to get rid of gasses better...Just don't go too big, as you will lose power at low rpm.

TonySo
28-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Hold on a sec, I am confused (as i said im no expert)

There are these big metal bars under the bonnet, one in the boot and one under the boot, between two rear tyres. Are the swaybars and strut bracers???

and the car has already got an exhaust system, according to the previous owner it's a full stainless steel cat back system with a hi-flow cat.

SIR GSR
28-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Ok. The big metal bars under the bonnet and in the boot...They are strut braces..

Swaybars are under the car, between your suspension bottoms...Big curved bars. You can't miss them. Look under the car from the front and you'll see it. :D

TonySo
28-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Yep I got both the swaybars and strut bracers then :)

now what's next? :p

Would you recommend anything other than flywheel & clutch?

and for the flywheel, from what I heard is it helps the engine rev faster and maintain rev when changing gears, is that right?

SIR GSR
28-07-2006, 08:19 PM
But are the swaybars stiffer (thicker) than standard?

As for the flywheel, it kinda does help the car rev faster (due to less initial weight to get moving) and not so much maintain the revs between gears, but it does keep the shifts smoother due to the lighter weight.

If you have all the suspension bits, what about a nice intake setup (cold air) and extractors to mate up with your cat back system?

TonySo
28-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Um... what exactly you mean by cold air intake setup and extrators? What parts exactly im looking for?

here's a pic of my engine bay when I first bought the car http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/tonyso/VTEC/IMGP0319.jpg

Nothing has changed so far. I do have an ARC induction box (wrong name maybe?) in my storeroom but it's slightly too big to fit in the pod filter spot... could possibly fit if i get my mechanic to rearrange the battery position a little bit tho.

And from your replies I guess you are not suggesting doing flywheel & clutch juet yet?

SIR GSR
28-07-2006, 08:35 PM
It's not that I'm suggesting you don't do it...I'm just trying to figure out what is already done so I can cross it off the list of things to do first. Sorry if I am coming across as a bit confusing.

Ok. Going by your picture, all you really need is a cold air feed to your pod filter (don't worry about the ARC box, just get a length of convoluted pipe, and set it up so it draws air from behind your front bar or inside your wheel arch) and then a set of extractors.

Then if you have money left over, do the flywheel/clutch combo too :D

Seems like everything is done, then you get to enjoy it and have some fun :D:D

TonySo
28-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Ok. Going by your picture, all you really need is a cold air feed to your pod filter (don't worry about the ARC box, just get a length of convoluted pipe, and set it up so it draws air from behind your front bar or inside your wheel arch) and then a set of extractors.

Errr... so does that mean removing the filter pod, and attach a pipe that leads to the back of the front bar?

And by the way, how many kms is the following service due?
- Brake fluid
- Gear box fluid
- Spark plug & lead
- Flush and clean the injector

Thanks a lot mate :D

SIR GSR
28-07-2006, 08:52 PM
You don't need to remove the pod to set up the CAI. Just run a pipe from the front of the car up to the pod so it gets more fresh air and cooler air.

Not sure on the scheduled kms for the service of those bits. I do all mine every 5,000kms. But I do alot of driving and due to the turbo too..

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

TonySo
28-07-2006, 08:54 PM
no worries, thanks a lot mate :wave:

SIR GSR
28-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Anytime...

Nuttz
31-07-2006, 08:02 PM
u could upgrade your exhaust manifold ( the 4 pipes that come out of your engine leading into your exhaust). should get a bit more power.