PDA

View Full Version : Car got banged, now it stalls

dclok1
29-07-2006, 04:11 PM
ok only noticed this after my car got hit pretty hard in the rear and after it got "fixed" at the panel shop. so the cause of the problems i cant be 100% sure.

What normally happens is after a long drive in my Auto EG6, sitting at the traffic lights or any idle situation in "drive", the revs often sink to below 700rpm and the car stalls. i avoid the problem by sticking the car into nuetral.

what do you guy think the problem might be, some technical advice would be great so i dont have to spend a fortune getting the problem diagnosed and fixed?

aznpsuazn
29-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Have you serviced the car since ? There could be loads of bog dust in the air filter clogging it up. Remember that in a work shop there is bog dust jsut about everywhere.

ECU-MAN
29-07-2006, 11:44 PM
spark plugs or EAVC could be at fault

check your ecu for fault codes

Klayemore
30-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Coulda banged up something along he fuel line??

phantom_civic
30-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I get the same problem but only after I thrash the car, does it happen everytime or just once in a while??

EuroDude
30-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Clean the throttle body and IACV and it should be fine after that.

phantom_civic
30-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Clean the throttle body and IACV and it should be fine after that.
After when u clean the throttle body the revs stay on 1000rpm and onli sometimes it would drop to 800/900rpm and go up again to 1000.

EuroDude
30-07-2006, 01:00 PM
After when u clean the throttle body the revs stay on 1000rpm and onli sometimes it would drop to 800/900rpm and go up again to 1000.

Mine was doing that, I screwed in the FITV valve and that fixed the hunting problem.
http://www.emotors.ca/Articles/97.aspx

dclok1
31-07-2006, 08:16 PM
thanks for the replies. i am yet to check the ecu codes, as for cleaning the TB and IACV, well i guess i need more time to try that out. i wonder if my ECU got zapped somewhere in the repair process, would something like that cause my car to stall. if the engine is hot generally it will stall at idle.

Boban
01-08-2006, 11:30 AM
I had a similar probkem in my auto mazda (long b4 the honda came along), i ended up replacing the spark plugs and that fixed it

channon
01-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I had a similar probkem in my auto mazda (long b4 the honda came along), i ended up replacing the spark plugs and that fixed it

i had similar problem in my previous jazz (a 04 vti auto) it stalled whenever i stop.......
i didnt have time to take to the dealer yet but ended up fixing the problem by putting in 95 ron fuel.....strange to happen to a 1.5 year old car....how the car is gone i will never find out the real problem

EuroDude
01-08-2006, 12:16 PM
yeah it could be a number of things, dirty throttle body, dirty fuel injectors, iacv, spark plugs, spark leads, bad compression, ecu needing reset, etc..

I believe 95RON has some cleaning additives, so maybe the fuel cleaned out the injectors.

dclok1
15-08-2006, 09:56 PM
i checked the ECU codes, got zip. cleaned the throttle body and air filter, results were mixed. seems to stall less often, but now hunts around for the right rev range. put on a silencer, car gets more confused. may need to try the IACV and FITV.

ive had a suggestion that the engine bay may have been warped in the accident , placing additional torque on the engine, causing the fly wheel in Drive to engage more than it should. something along those lines.

joyride
16-08-2006, 08:05 AM
maybe its got something to do with the fuel system. since the tank is in the rear of the car, maybe the in-tank fuel pump got knocked around...

dclok1
16-08-2006, 08:36 PM
hmm maybe symptoms seem to point to an engine especially since it only happens when the engine has been running a long time.

dclok1
16-08-2006, 10:40 PM
ok i have read more. so my cars stall when the engine is hot, idling and in drive. but if i chage to neutral problem goes away. thus is the conclusion that it is somehow related to the torque converter? because the only difference between the stall and non stall scenario is that neutral is used to disconnect the transmission from the engine whereas fluid coupling essentially allows the impeller to spin without turning the turbine.

so how can the torque converter cause a car to stall?