PDA

View Full Version : problem or no problem?

bevis90
30-07-2006, 01:15 AM
hello

i pulled out the pipe that connects above to the panel filter and is running without the pipe

would i experience any problems as in engine problems or not gettin enuff air into the engine

i supplied pictures

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/view/67339/DSC00486.JPG
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/view/67339/DSC00487.JPG
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/view/67339/DSC00485.JPG

EuroDude
30-07-2006, 01:21 AM
not sure what you mean. If the air coming into the engine is not passing through the air filter panel, then you risk damaging the engine due to foreign objects in the air.

If you only removed the resonator part before the filter, then it should be ok. That just muffles the intake noise.

bevis90
30-07-2006, 01:25 AM
in the third picture i took that thing out

the only thing i left on is the knN filer witht he box that covers it

EuroDude
30-07-2006, 01:28 AM
It looks like a different design to my eg, but looks like you pulled out the resonator. if all the air is going through the air filter then into the engine, there shouldnt be a problem.

Mr_will
30-07-2006, 01:31 AM
if you are referring to the resonator, in your first picture, then no, removing this will not have any adverse effects, unless you consider more noise an adverse effect.

removing the bottom half of your air box (below your filter) will increase airflow to the filter, which is good. some people will whinge about the air being hot in the engine bay, but the reality is that when your going at decent speed ie anything above about 40kmh, there is enough air moving through the engine bay for this to be irrelevant.

IF however you are saying that air is entering your intake manifold without first passing through a filter, this is not ok, because anything at all could get into the combustion chamber, ie dust, rocks, etc.

also, you might want to consider changing your signature, youre not allowed to sell stuff on ozhonda until you have at least 1 rep point :D

bevis90
30-07-2006, 01:45 AM
oh ok i thought i wouldnt get air into and pass the airfilter through to the intake

do u still think id get like power gain

DreadAngel
30-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Highly unlikely buddy, if there is any power gain at all, its very minimal just like having a pod filter doesn't gain much either unless you have a reasonably modified engine

EuroDude
30-07-2006, 02:03 AM
Yeah true, removing the resonator wont make much difference in terms of performance (maybe 1hp at best - depending on design). Although the engine note will most definetely change.

simbadda54
30-07-2006, 03:06 AM
Attatch some hose to the resonator hole in the airbox and run it to the front of the car somewhere and turn it into a CAI. Might get 1kw gain :D

CUL8R
30-07-2006, 08:13 PM
nah no dramas at all dude.the resonator aint all that important
induction noise will be louder = car sounds mean = no probelm
slight increase in fuel consumption = who cares?

CUL8R
30-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Attatch some hose to the resonator hole in the airbox and run it to the front of the car somewhere and turn it into a CAI. Might get 1kw gain :D
depending on ur design of the intake it can get alot more than that if tuned.
like after tuning with bonnet down i put 122 to the fronts where with bonnet up 126.
if the pipe design is smooth enough and doesnt create too much turbulance u might almost get 4kW off a tuned motor. heat soak = BAD for power

gnx1987
31-07-2006, 09:53 PM
It looks like a different design to my eg, but looks like you pulled out the resonator. if all the air is going through the air filter then into the engine, there shouldnt be a problem.

Judging by the first picture, it looks like an ek

Dylanamus
31-07-2006, 10:16 PM
The resonator, among other things, premixes the cold air coming from the outside of the car and the warm air that it recycles from other parts of the engine bay (most likely the radiator - a lot of radiators have what appears to be a "snorkel" ontop that runs into the resonator).

The warm air mix helps to heat your engine up and will have about as much of an affect on economy as removing the whole thing and running a pipe to the bumper will have on performance. Worst thing that could happen is your idle might get a tiny bit jumpy - pretty easy to adjust, not that you'd really need to.

The performance concept is simple: cooler air is denser, therefore more can be squeezed into the cylinders, which maintaining the same air:fuel ratio means more fuel and a larger explosion -> more power. In practicality, on a stock engine, the difference will most likely not be noticeble in any way other than perhaps a bit of throttle response due to an easier breathing intake.

I'll be honest with you, removing my resonator and hot air feed AND adding a high flow panel filter made very little difference to noise in my already noisey b16a, but did slightly improve throttle response on the first little tap of acceleration before spooling. My idle hasn't been affected and my economy has not varied any more or less than usual.

EuroDude
31-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Judging by the first picture, it looks like an ek

lol yeah I realised that, I was under the impression the EG's were similar to the EK's (shared various mechanical parts), but looks like thats not so in this case.;)

EuroDude
31-07-2006, 10:23 PM
In practicality, on a stock engine, the difference will most likely not be noticeble in any way other than perhaps a bit of throttle response due to an easier breathing intake.

yeah and from what ive gathered, the performance may actually decrease at low revs. At WOT/VTEC, thats when the performance increase would be most noticable (if at all).

aimre
31-07-2006, 11:05 PM
U now got urself a genuine Honda Bong

I think someone named it Honbong when i last posted this pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/aimre/mewithpipe.jpg