PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt Change

Mrrevolution
30-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey guys,
Car just ticked over 100,000 kilometres and in the service books it says i should change the timing belt. Does the Honda engine give a warning if the belt is in bad condition or is it catostrophic failure with no warning ? Cause i get no light saying i should change the belt on the engine. The car is a Civic Coupe Vti sohc vtec.

thanks

civic_99
30-07-2006, 11:55 AM
i dont think u get a warning saying that its needs to be done. Just get it changed b4 its too late. I got 150,000 kms. and still havent change my timing belt! hahahaha

Mrrevolution
30-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Civic 99 what engine you got in your car ? Cause i was told i have to change the timing belt and water pump and castor bearing at the same time, so looking at $800 for the service.

Mrrevolution
30-07-2006, 12:02 PM
i think he said tensioner bearing not castor bearing

Paul1985
30-07-2006, 12:59 PM
there is no warning light for this.
Just change it as advised because if you dont and it snaps it could bend your valves which will cost you a fortune to fix!

My belt snapped at 20,000kms over its due date and i was lucky enough not to cause any damage to my engine.

Ensure you get a mechanic experienced with honda's to do this service as i had my local mechanic do mine and he installed it incorrectly which caused my car to ping real bad and i had to reinstall the belt. This would have taken time off my engines life by running it the way it was. I payed $200 for it at the time from this mechanic also.

Alpine
30-07-2006, 01:13 PM
You guys are going by the amount of km rather than time. My Civic is a '99 and I got it done earlier this year, even though my km was only about 70,000. It's supposed to be 100,000km or 5 years whichever occurs first.

Boban
30-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Mate who is doing your timing belt???
I got my belt done (sohc vtec, 94 VTi eg sedan same engine maybe) and the water pump as well. It cost me $173.95 for both, and you get the tensioner with the belt, you could buy just the belt by itself, but if the tensioner stuffs up, you will have to get a new belt again so it's cheaper in the long run to do both. BTW i got mine from repco, at trade price (10% off) so even if you pay retail it should still be under $200 mark. The brand of the belt was "gates" or something, and that was concidentally the same brand belt that we pulled off the car, and the water pump was 'GFB' or something like that. My pump was fine (ie no leaks) but better to be safe than sorry as if that went the belt would have to come off to do it.

We used a hoist at my bro's work, but we also did my friends VTi-R integra couple of nights later in has garage on stands, so if you have some basic knowledge or have someone who knows a bit do it yourself and save some money.

I do realise that i have a thread about my engine not running at the moment, but that's not because of the belt :p so please no comments about it. Just my 2c.

Boban

EuroDude
30-07-2006, 03:20 PM
There is no dash warning or anything, you just need to follow the service interval recommendations.

Make sure you get a genuine Honda timing belt, you dont want a cheap one that will break and destroy the engine. An aftermarket water pump should be ok as long as its a decent one made in Japan.

If I remember correctly, the timing belt + water pump + labour cost me about $500

The belt can last over 200,000km (my friends EG still has the original belt and has done 200,000km), but its not worth the risk. You dont want a ~$2000 bill to rebuild the engine.

vtec_king
30-07-2006, 03:48 PM
take ur rocket cover off n have a look at da belt. c if dere is any cracks!!!

NightKids
30-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Or another idea is wait for it to snap so you can get some DOHC VTEC action happening!

vtec_king
30-07-2006, 04:44 PM
lol wat a great idea !

kraiye
30-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Or another idea is wait for it to snap so you can get some DOHC VTEC action happening!
lol!
funnily enough this is exactly what i had in mind... tha perfect excuse to upgrade to sum b16a action :D

but now that i opted for turbo i'm gonna get my belt done cause it's starting to squeak -although ever so slightly and only on starting, and my pump has been 'ticking' for a while now.

:( more delays on getting the turbo installed!

btw: i got about 125k k's on the clock

muhhan
30-07-2006, 07:11 PM
If you want to do it yourself, which I recommend especially if you have a mate who knows their shiz to come around and help you out, at least get a copy of the service manual. These are available on the internet free of charge, just search for 'service manual' on OzHonda here. The manual will go through step by step in quite good detail and although it might not be for your exact engine/car it should still help you out. You will learn alot from this experience and it will make you a whole lot more confident when doing anything else on your car. Invest in good tools as well because the money you save on labour should be used to help you do the job easily and properly. It'll also make working on the car a lot more fun and enjoyable.

Also, there are a few other things that should be changed when you remove/replace the timing belt. I think these are some seals and the rocker cover bolts from memory. It is all listed in the service manual. Read it very carefully...three times.

Kraiye, are you sure its your timing belt squeeling? Could be one of the other many belts in there which you are more likely to hear as the timing belt runs on a cog where as the power steering (if you have it), alternator, and air conditioning (if you have it as well) run on pulleys with grooves and so are more likely to slip.

Keep your engine in good condition guys and girls so at least you can sell it and get a little money to go towards engine conversions and the like even if it is only $100. I'm sure you can come up with another excuse to get that much loved dohc vtec engine conversion done anyway!

Paul1985
30-07-2006, 07:40 PM
lol!
funnily enough this is exactly what i had in mind... tha perfect excuse to upgrade to sum b16a action :D

but now that i opted for turbo i'm gonna get my belt done cause it's starting to squeak -although ever so slightly and only on starting, and my pump has been 'ticking' for a while now.

:( more delays on getting the turbo installed!

btw: i got about 125k k's on the clock
That is most likely your fan belt squeeking, not the timing belt. Changing one of these is a much less expensive task.

ECU-MAN
30-07-2006, 08:24 PM
just get your belt changed, do it your self or fork out and get it done somewhere. it will cost you more if you dont get it done and if its not done right.

if your on a budget, dont change any seals if there is no oil leaks, water pump will be ok as well if it passes the inspection at the time the belt is replaced.

Mrrevolution
30-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Ok thanks guys,
Gonna have a shot of doing it myself. I do the basic services myself like oil, plugs, coolant. Never tried anything like timing belt gonna read the manual on how to do it when i find it and see if its reasonable to do. Hehe im not a mechanic of any sort but i love working on the car even though its simple things.

Boban
30-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah mate, read the manual and make sure that all your marks like up. The one we used had a nice big diagram showing all the marks that need to line up so it was pretty clear. But please be very carefull when you do it and remember where everything went. We decided we'd save a bit of money by not emptying the power steering fluid so we had to move the whole reservoir and work around it (a bit of a pain, but not impossible) and you will have to take off some of the pulleys as well. From memory my A/C and P/S belts ended up being completely out of the engine bay, so before you do that make a little arrow in which direction they were rotating (we used white out and pointed the arrow towards the firewall) as well as marking which one is which (ie: a/s, p/s and alternator). It's not hard at all but time consuming and if you have somone there to give you a hand, even if it's holding somehting out of the way, it's a lot of help. And please be really cdarefull when taking off the Harmonic Ballancer (at the other end of the belt, the bottom end, top being the crank, don't know how else to explain it). There is a little pin looking think that locks it into place so it doesn't pop out and spin freely. Mine was only about 3cm long and couple mm wide so it's really easy to lose.

ECU-MAN
30-07-2006, 11:25 PM
check out the DIY section,

there is a DIY Video on how to change a timming belt on a F22B, you should be able to pick up a few pointers

kraiye
31-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Kraiye, are you sure its your timing belt squeeling? Could be one of the other many belts in there which you are more likely to hear as the timing belt runs on a cog where as the power steering (if you have it), alternator, and air conditioning (if you have it as well) run on pulleys with grooves and so are more likely to slip.

doh! of course... i'd be in a hell of a lot more trouble if my timing belt was slipping ;)

civic_99
31-07-2006, 01:19 PM
where is hannys anyways? does anyone know where his workshop is? maybe you should give him a ring ive heard he's cheap and do a good job.

bennjamin
31-07-2006, 01:20 PM
call 9725 5115 for Hannys. Ask for Robert or peter .

jdm_kid
31-07-2006, 01:21 PM
where is hannys anyways? does anyone know where his workshop is? maybe you should give him a ring ive heard he's cheap and do a good job.

Hanny's Performance Centre
Unit 3, 28 Victoria St Smithfield NSW 2164
ph: (02) 9725 5115

shinji112
31-07-2006, 02:46 PM
yeah totally recommend Hanny's! just give them a call before you go

Paul1985
31-07-2006, 06:40 PM
yeah totally recommend Hanny's! just give them a call before you go
This guy must make a killing off ozhonda.com. Heard nothing but recommendations for this place. I'd go there if i were in Sydney.

Definately sounds like the place to have a timing belt swapped

Mrrevolution
31-07-2006, 09:11 PM
It looks pretty scary im trying to get a mechanic to do it in front of me so i can learn a few things. As it is i have read the DIY and saw the video, i think its outta my reach honestly. Id love to ask around and see if i can see first hand at how to do it. So next time i can change it myself, whenever or if ever i need to haha. But thanks guys the feedback was great, and the car is too precious for me to be playing with changing the timing belt, with my little knowledge its not safe.

Mrrevolution
31-07-2006, 09:13 PM
For me its worth paying the extra now and get the security of a professional doing it.

Paul1985
31-07-2006, 09:14 PM
It looks pretty scary im trying to get a mechanic to do it in front of me so i can learn a few things. As it is i have read the DIY and saw the video, i think its outta my reach honestly. Id love to ask around and see if i can see first hand at how to do it. So next time i can change it myself, whenever or if ever i need to haha. But thanks guys the feedback was great, and the car is too precious for me to be playing with changing the timing belt, with my little knowledge its not safe.
Alot of mechanics dont usually like the customer hanging around, if he/she is fine with it then thats good. Hopefully you learn a few things.
You also aren't supposed to be in a mechanics workshop as a customer due to safety reasons.

mrwillz
28-08-2006, 02:47 PM
on civics (ek1) or civics in general
is there only ONE belt that needs changing?? or multple
also im gettn the rocker gasket replaced..

mj3610
28-08-2006, 04:01 PM
ffs dont do it urself and dont go cheap and buy shit timing belts from repco etc, an original belt for ur car is $60 from honda, water pump is abit expensive (around $300) so just let ur mechanic buy a japanese made aftermarket one for u, when u change ur timing belt its a good idea to change ur water pump and seals. all up it should cost you around $600 parts +labour. if ur car has done 100ks u dont have to do it now, if you dont thrash ur car often u can wait another 30-40kms before u change them. in most cases the water pump usually gives up before the timing belt does.
good luck

Paul1985
28-08-2006, 05:46 PM
on civics (ek1) or civics in general
is there only ONE belt that needs changing?? or multple
also im gettn the rocker gasket replaced..
there is only 1 timing belt.. theres also a fan belt(s) that runs your pulleys.

This is not as big a job though and should be checked on regular services anyway (well so you would hope).

Lukezen27
28-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Hannys Pro

Rob's cool

$240 bucks for SOHC or round abouts

Do it man

mrwillz
28-08-2006, 08:33 PM
mj3610: im not sure if that was aimed at me
but i am getting it done by a honda mechanic who also runs a home mechanic also...

thx for that paul1985

lukezen: im gettn charged 140bux flat... :D
also gettn the belt for 38bux honda oem. :D

Lukezen27
29-08-2006, 01:02 PM
mj3610: im not sure if that was aimed at me
but i am getting it done by a honda mechanic who also runs a home mechanic also...

thx for that paul1985

lukezen: im gettn charged 140bux flat... :D
also gettn the belt for 38bux honda oem. :D

Nice though that $240 included the water pump to I think

mrwillz
29-08-2006, 05:32 PM
ahh kk
i kud of got the water pump as well
but i prob will leave that til 150000
its not as vital as timing belt... is it?
(xcuse my noobness)

Paul1985
29-08-2006, 05:40 PM
it is pretty vital, but if a belt snaps it can cause some serious damage. If the pump fails your car would first overheat.

The water pump pumps coolant/water through your system. Without it the coolant/water wouldnt be able to flow through the system properly and would overheat.

Once this happens if you continue driving then some serious damage will eventually occur.

Its just cheaper to get them both changed at the same time as you will now have to pay even more labour. If you cant afford them both at the same time then IMO its no biggie.

Lukezen27
29-08-2006, 08:50 PM
ahh kk
i kud of got the water pump as well
but i prob will leave that til 150000
its not as vital as timing belt... is it?
(xcuse my noobness)

On my D16Y1 you need to remove the same parts as the timing belt to install a new water pump hence the reason you should do it at the same time!!!

mj3610
30-08-2006, 09:47 AM
On my D16Y1 you need to remove the same parts as the timing belt to install a new water pump hence the reason you should do it at the same time!!!
dont forget the seals as well :)

Paul1985
30-08-2006, 08:26 PM
dont forget the seals as well :)
definately a new water pump gasket which is a must. This would be included with the water pump you would hope!

micsway
13-07-2007, 11:57 AM
You guys are going by the amount of km rather than time. My Civic is a '99 and I got it done earlier this year, even though my km was only about 70,000. It's supposed to be 100,000km or 5 years whichever occurs first.

5 year? hahahahahaa u gotta be kiddin

ive got me self 97 civc hatch ok which would make it 11 years old
its clocked up about 98K atm and its at the honda michanic right now as im
writing this getting the timing belt changed, sures its costing me $400
but at least i get peice of mind knowing nothin will **** up or if it does im covered

destrukshn
13-07-2007, 12:03 PM
400 just to do the belt?

EuroDude
13-07-2007, 12:04 PM

My mates just changed his original EG timing melt @ 220,000km. The original lasted 13 years rofl. Albeit in a Gli ;)

Lukezen27
13-07-2007, 12:12 PM

ive got me self 97 civc hatch ok which would make it 11 years old
its clocked up about 98K atm and its at the honda michanic right now as im
writing this getting the timing belt changed, sures its costing me $400
but at least i get peice of mind knowing nothin will **** up or if it does im covered

$400 dang

Mine only cost me $180

destrukshn
13-07-2007, 12:12 PM
i do it every 100,000. always.
though it always depends on how the car was treated and under what conditions.

micsway
13-07-2007, 01:35 PM
$400 dang

Mine only cost me $180

true its steep but $180 from where? the actual honda service center or u go somewhere else?

Lukezen27
13-07-2007, 04:09 PM
true its steep but $180 from where? the actual honda service center or u go somewhere else?

Robert from Hannys :thumbsup:

Completely Rebuilt my D16Y1 for $1200

Boban
13-07-2007, 08:57 PM
what do you mean by completely rebuilding it luke, i'm thinking about rebuilding mine but i have no idea where to start. I did the belt and pump about 15k ago, always change all the fluids /sparks regularly, did the clutch about 8 months ago and now i have no idea what to do next.

sorry for the hijack :p

Lukezen27
13-07-2007, 09:01 PM
what do you mean by completely rebuilding it luke, i'm thinking about rebuilding mine but i have no idea where to start. I did the belt and pump about 15k ago, always change all the fluids /sparks regularly, did the clutch about 8 months ago and now i have no idea what to do next.

sorry for the hijack :p

New rings & bearings and so on

That quote was for me as I've been going to him for years but he won't ever rip you off like other Mechs :thumbsup:

What motor do you have?

Boban
13-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Well firstly im in brisbane so robert is a no go

I got a Y1 in my car at the moment, but i also got a Y8 (bought if of Nerv, sitting at my friends house) so i might do something with that

I'll look further into it man, thanx

Lukezen27
14-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Well firstly im in brisbane so robert is a no go

I got a Y1 in my car at the moment, but i also got a Y8 (bought if of Nerv, sitting at my friends house) so i might do something with that

I'll look further into it man, thanx

No worries

why would you go from a Y1 to a Y8?

16CTEG
14-07-2007, 10:43 AM
i just had my timing belt done!!! paid $70 for a OEM honda belt, $30 OEM rocker cover gasket n OEM $24 spark plug seals! and $100 for labour from a qualified honda mechanic!!! this is on a DOHC VTEC

dreamshifter
14-07-2007, 10:58 AM
When do timing chains get done?

Lukezen27
14-07-2007, 12:41 PM
i just had my timing belt done!!! paid $70 for a OEM honda belt, $30 OEM rocker cover gasket n OEM $24 spark plug seals! and $100 for labour from a qualified honda mechanic!!! this is on a DOHC VTEC

That sounds more like it IMO :thumbsup:

Boban
15-07-2007, 11:35 PM
No worries

why would you go from a Y1 to a Y8?

Why indeed, nah man i might build one up that way i can keep the car on the road and i don't have to take the engine out to do it. Makes sense????

How long did it take them to do it

Lukezen27
16-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Why indeed, nah man i might build one up that way i can keep the car on the road and i don't have to take the engine out to do it. Makes sense????

How long did it take them to do it

about a week

Got my little brother to drive me rounds in the meanwhile :thumbsup:

Rice_banger
22-05-2008, 04:06 PM
ok so

as i just read a timming belt an OEM honda can be bought for under $80 ?

then its the labour sigh

then plug seals + rocker cover gasket correct ?

btw im poor got given the civic as a gift so ya

mrwillz
22-05-2008, 04:30 PM
yum timing belt, rocker cover gasket and labour
and optional water pump too. (saves onl labour while getting timing belt changed)

Lukezen27
22-05-2008, 04:32 PM
yum timing belt, rocker cover gasket and labour
and optional water pump too. (saves onl labour while getting timing belt changed)

Yup!!

My water pump died one week after my Timing belt change :thumbdwn:

Cost the same twice to change it...

fitvpower
01-11-2008, 10:08 PM
hello ozhonda ppl!
this thursday i will be changing my timing belt to a new one at K mart autos :S
ma mates told me that i shouldnt trust them installin a timing belt kit to ma car!
if so shud i buy a different timing belt for my car instead of using what K mart autos supplied to install on mine?
and also while the engine is out to change the timing belt. what else shud i get check or change?
they quoted me $182 bux for the timing belt kit and $320 for labour cause it costs 3.5 hours apparently :S! is der any place in brisbane that can do it cheaper???

sorry guys im noob at cars ay:(!

redefine
02-11-2008, 10:26 AM
When do timing chains get done?

if everything works right, never

Raztaz
02-11-2008, 12:49 PM
they quoted me $182 bux for the timing belt kit and $320 for labour

:eek:

hmm my car has a empty log book, about to hit 120K kms, should change timing belt to be on safe side i guess?

Lukezen27
02-11-2008, 12:50 PM
:eek:

hmm my car has a empty log book, about to hit 120K kms, should change timing belt to be on safe side i guess?

Yes yes yes!!! and water pump

Paul1985
02-11-2008, 03:35 PM
if everything works right, never

I wouldn't say never.
Moving parts eventually wear.
Everything can be working perfectly and your belt will still wear out.

Belts eventually get hard and weak...

My engine was running fine and my belt snapped at 225,000kms. My fault for not having it done at the proper time. Luckily the engine was free-spinning and didn't bend any valves. On some engines if your belt gives way the pistons will smash into the valves bending them. This would be a very expensive repair job..

If you wanna know when it should be changed then look in your cars service book/logs and it will tell you when the manufacture recommends a timing belt should be changed.

It's generally every 100,000kms.

Of course a belt may last alot longer than that, if you wanna risk your engine then go for it.

redefine
02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
paul: that was in respect to the question about the chain, which should theoretically last the life of the engine, assuming there are no defective parts. i know the situation about the timing belt.

i dont know why honda didnt use the chain for the earlier models, though it isnt much of an inconvenience changing the belt once every 100,000

kraiye
06-11-2008, 06:19 PM
i'd guess it has to do with weight/moving mass etc.
belt is lighter, therefor less torque required to move it freeing up power for the engine.
correct me if i'm wrong :)

fitvpower
06-11-2008, 11:07 PM
i got my timing belt changed today! and i didnt get ma water pump change cause it wasnt leakin lol do u guys reckon i shud have changed it too???

Lukezen27
07-11-2008, 09:05 AM
i got my timing belt changed today! and i didnt get ma water pump change cause it wasnt leakin lol do u guys reckon i shud have changed it too???

YES

Read my post?

Mine stated leaking like a week after I got my belt changed...

You need to removed all the same things to as a timing belt to replace the pump

Paul1985
07-11-2008, 10:31 AM
i'd guess it has to do with weight/moving mass etc.
belt is lighter, therefor less torque required to move it freeing up power for the engine.
correct me if i'm wrong :)

It would have been cost. Manufacturers do everything around cost.

denrie
08-11-2008, 12:39 PM
k20 action :P

denrie
08-11-2008, 12:40 PM
go to hanny's... at smithfield.. honda specialist.. 250 installed...

ECU-MAN
10-11-2008, 02:17 PM

you will be fine if the car has used and is still using honda coolant