PDA

View Full Version : high km 1987 CRX, what to look for?

AmmoJammo
30-07-2006, 12:40 PM
been looking at a 1987 CRX, with pretty high kms.

Just wondering what I should look out for that is likely to go wrong by the time the car gets to over 250,000kms? :p

CV joints? suspension? shocks? I figure the engine is going to be pretty rooted... lol

any other issues?

thanks.

phantom_civic
30-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Body rust on the hatch & the last time the timing belt was changed, then u also go a shiitload of checks to do.

AmmoJammo
30-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Body rust on the hatch & the last time the timing belt was changed, then u also go a shiitload of checks to do.

where abouts on the hatch?

I figured the timing belt would be something to replace anyway, unless there was good proof it had been done recently.

phantom_civic
30-07-2006, 12:49 PM
I had a 88 CRX b4 and I had rust on the sunroof, along front window rubber deals otherwords the tarret (roof), the rear hatch boot.
But If u really want to know if u got rust underneath the window seals u have to take all ur windows out.
I found out I had extreme rust when I had a full restoration.

AmmoJammo
30-07-2006, 12:53 PM
I had a 88 CRX b4 and I had rust on the sunroof, along front window rubber deals otherwords the tarret (roof), the rear hatch boot.
But If u really want to know if u got rust underneath the window seals u have to take all ur windows out.
I found out I had extreme rust when I had a full restoration.

no sunroof.

I looked in the spare tyre well, and found no rust, or signs of water, so I believe the hatch is alright, and hasn't just been bogged up...

didn't look really closely for rust, but the car didn't smell damp inside or anything.

AmmoJammo
30-07-2006, 12:56 PM
phone pics:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9987/crxrh4.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1726/crxreardl1.jpg

there were a few scrapes, and chips in the paint, but nothing major, and tehre was no evidence of it being in an accident at any time.

phantom_civic
30-07-2006, 12:56 PM
In that case just replace door rubbers etc..
all the seals that go around the hatch.
Just in case of a leak.

Other than that u got a good buy minus at mechanical faults.

aznpsuazn
30-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Is that an import crx with the bonnet bulge?

AmmoJammo
30-07-2006, 02:15 PM
I dont know...

dont they all have it?

edit: every one I've looked at has :p

i_own_you
30-07-2006, 03:36 PM

its not an import. its an AUDM CRX.

Spunkymonkey
30-07-2006, 04:57 PM
JDM Bonnet. Yes agree check for rust. Although the pictures look pretty good. Also agree that you'd expect CV joints, shocks to go. Also with the engine gearbox may start to get crunchy gears after a while. I also find that with the older model civics/crx's you get lots of rattles as they get more KM's on them....ie dash bits making noise, parcel shelf etc Lol

puddin
31-07-2006, 03:26 PM
been looking at a 1987 CRX, with pretty high kms.

Just wondering what I should look out for that is likely to go wrong by the time the car gets to over 250,000kms? :p

CV joints? suspension? shocks? I figure the engine is going to be pretty rooted... lol

any other issues?

thanks.
I have 250,000+ on the clock. I recently had to recondition the gearbox. Engine should be fine till about 400,000 with regular oil changes and maintenance providing that it hasnt been thrashed to all hell.

As with all cars, its worth paying for your local inurance provider to check out the car before you buy it. (providing that they do this service)

What may cost you an extra $100 when purchasing the car could save you thousands if you buy a lemon.

EDIT : looking at those pics, it looks very unmolested and the body looks in perfect condition. Good price.

Mr_will
31-07-2006, 03:51 PM
EDIT : looking at those pics, it looks very unmolested and the body looks in perfect condition. Good price.

dont forget that dealers have access to very cheap detailing/panel beating, which is why all the cars in their lot always look schmick.

crx88rb
31-07-2006, 04:45 PM
check for engine rocking when reving engine with hood open. ( this would be engine mounts ) everything else that pplz have said

SlobberGoat
31-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Rust is the only problem. Every other problem is minor.

Check for rust:
- where the rear quarters meet the bumper.
- inside the doors where the 2 door hinges are (both passenger & drivers)
- inside the channel where the hatchback mounts are located.

Otherwise car lools clean. (I would definately buy it)

dave_ed9
31-07-2006, 05:08 PM
JDM Bonnet.

It's not a JDM bonnet dude. All australian CRXs have that bulge. The JDM bonnet (SiR style) is the one that is raised in the middle instead of lowered and doesnt have the bump, although some JDM CRXs have this (ZC) hood with the bulge.

Look for rust on and around the hinges of the rear hatch, along the top of the windscreen seal, and along the edge of the rear guards.

czy_sol87
31-07-2006, 05:20 PM
looks like its had a respray, all the black bitz around the car are in silver, unless thats a factory opition, but dont think so.

AmmoJammo
31-07-2006, 06:20 PM
looks like its had a respray, all the black bitz around the car are in silver, unless thats a factory opition, but dont think so.

I think just those have been resprayed, plus the door handles, etc.

the original colour was silver, i know that. :)

AmmoJammo
01-08-2006, 08:33 PM
took the car for a drive today.

badly slipping clutch, poor pickup (I'm guessing the truck sized wheels didn't help) and a REALLY hard, noisy ride (maybe thats what I should have expected?)

czy_sol87
01-08-2006, 08:36 PM
took the car for a drive today.

badly slipping clutch, poor pickup (I'm guessing the truck sized wheels didn't help) and a REALLY hard, noisy ride (maybe thats what I should have expected?)
well its an old car about 20 years old these things are expected, but ask urself, is the car worth whatever their askin for it, and do u really want a crx.
all these problems just give u reason to knock down the askin price

AmmoJammo
02-08-2006, 05:33 AM
well its an old car about 20 years old these things are expected, but ask urself, is the car worth whatever their askin for it, and do u really want a crx.
all these problems just give u reason to knock down the askin price

they already knocked the price down to $4500 cash themselves.

only problem was I wanted to pay with credit card - they dont have credit card facilities yet.

they suggest I get a cash advance on my credit card - that gets charged at 20% interest :thumbdwn:

think I'll give that a miss :p