PDA

View Full Version : b16a crankcase/block ventilation

Dxs
30-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Just wondering what a b16a1 has in terms of crankcase/block ventilation.

Is there a valve? A pipe to the manifold? And if so where is it located?

Is it possible for it to get blocked causing pressure in the block-> resulting in exterior oil leaks?

90xsi
30-07-2006, 04:55 PM
your crank case vent is the pipe at the top of your rocker cover
to your intake pipe.

bennjamin
30-07-2006, 07:57 PM
its called the "PCV" system. There is a inlet pipe on your intake piping (it goes to the cam cover) - and then circulates oil vapour thru to the oil seperator at the back of the engine , and then thru the PCV valve and then into the inlet manifold again.
The little valve does break/block over time - it will increase oil consumpton and decrease performance and fuel economy tho

Dxs
31-07-2006, 04:46 PM
i am a little confused from your post.

I understand that there is a breather line for the cam cover to the intake pipe.

But i am more curious on the 'PCV' system.

And 'oil seperator at the back of the engine'?
I understand that there is a pipe/line from the intake manifold to the blow somewhere.. but i want to know that setup.

bennjamin
31-07-2006, 05:22 PM
here is a image to explain its "flow" on a honda engine -

http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/-/P/accord_pcv_657b.gif

Basically , a small amount of intake air is sucked into the small pipe to the cam cover. This air is mixed with oil and the vapour circulates thru the engine , to the oil seperator ( where excess oil is "caught") and then continues thru to the PCV valve and then into the inlet manifold.
Here is where people usually put a oil catch canl.

Dxs
01-08-2006, 01:11 PM
thanks mate..

so there is a pipe/tunnel that reaches the cam cover vent that goes through the head and into the block?

and then there is a pipe from the block that goes to the intake manifold that has a valve in it.

This is a one way valve.. which way.. only lets pressure out? So therefore the pipe to the cam cover should only let air in?

is this PCV testable and cleanable?

bennjamin
01-08-2006, 01:34 PM
is this PCV testable and cleanable?

find the pipe from the PCV to the inlet manifold , and put a small rag around it and "clamp" it with a pair of plies (while the engine is running)
If you hear a "clicking" noise its fine. The revs should slightly drop too.
You can take it out (be careful not to break the rubber hose) and clean it in solvent etc to get rid of the gunk build up inside...

Dxs
01-08-2006, 04:22 PM
rag up both the pipe and the nipple on the intake mani?
just for filtration?

thanks mate..
prob wont be doing this for a month or so though

bennjamin
01-08-2006, 04:48 PM
rag up both the pipe and the nipple on the intake mani?
just for filtration?

thanks mate..
prob wont be doing this for a month or so though

Sorry , i meant put the rag AROUND the pipe running from the PCV to the inlet manifold ( to protect it when you put the pliers around it) m when you are doing the quick PCV test.

Twincam16
01-08-2006, 07:33 PM
ben, i think you may have given me insight to my unexplainable fuel consumption!

Ill check it out this weekend, maybe throw up a DIY for the "wheres my fuel" threads...

bennjamin
01-08-2006, 08:56 PM
ben, i think you may have given me insight to my unexplainable fuel consumption!

Ill check it out this weekend, maybe throw up a DIY for the "wheres my fuel" threads...

a old PCV would contribute to poor fuel economy- when its gunked up it hurls in oil vapour into the intake charge and results in decreased performance/economy :) Apparently you are supposed to change it every 40,000kms ?!? *waits for ECU MAN*

Twincam16
01-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Gonna have a check of it this weekend, its been getting progressivley worse so this will def be on checklist. You have pm reg a few questions on flushing it.

Dxs
02-08-2006, 01:24 PM
just checked my workshop manual.. and it says that you only need to inspect it every 40,000, not replace.

anyone know how much they roughly go for as well?

and by now looking at the workshop manual i see the valve is at the top of the engine.. i kept thinking that there was a pipe from the block to a valve :/

it also says i should inspect 'evaporative emission control system'.. i guess i will look into that

Dxs
02-08-2006, 03:06 PM
ok.. just checked it then by clamping the hose near where it goes into the intake manifold..

however i dont not hear any clicking once i clamp it.. but the valve is right next to the injectors.. so from all the noise everywhere it cant be 100% sure.. but i tried it a few times and i didnt notice any new clicking..

the engine changed slightly.. like when i unclamp the hose the engine perks up ever so slightly.. so clamping makes a difference..

how should i go about cleaning the valve etc?

Dxs
09-10-2006, 03:18 PM
can someone tell me how i go about removing and cleaning it?
anyone know how much they are from honda as well?

weezer
10-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Just pull it out with the hose attached, shake it, if you hear it rattle then its working.

Dxs
10-10-2006, 11:18 AM
you are saying it just pulls out riceboy?
how do i remove it?

string
10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Get a pair of pliars and take off the clamps, then pull it out. Need us to feed you aswell?

Dxs
10-10-2006, 11:40 AM
I will remember your comments string

weezer
10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
yeah just pull it out like the marbles out of your ass :p

Dxs
10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
they are your marbles though

Dxs
05-11-2006, 10:30 AM
well the L piece off the valve has now snapped off?
can i get generic one from say repco? or is honda my only chance...

i presume gen3 crx wth b16a2's are compatible with b16a1?

i am gonna now to try to pry the valve out with a screwdriver.. seems pretty stuck in there

edit...
i have found this image.. is the hose spose to stay onto the valve when i pry it out..
there is f all room under the manifold to get hands into etc

http://www.integraxsi.orcon.net.nz/manifold4.jpg

Dxs
05-11-2006, 11:09 AM
let me get this straight.

i should just pull it off?

i dont need to disconnect the hose from the box that goes onto the block?
when i put a new one in.. wont it be a bitch because the hose will just get pushed in and not go around the valve?

CRXer
05-11-2006, 01:17 PM
The PCV just slips inside the outer ring,u have to get the remnants of the PCV out to be able to squeeze the grommet(outer ring) together to get the grommet out.

Would be a good idea to take the hose out now that goes to the block(by first taking the grommet out of the manifold) to make sure no pieces of the PCV remain in the hose.

I guess they forgot to tell u how brittle the PcV plastic is on cars this old,not good advice fellas.

CRXer
05-11-2006, 01:29 PM
BTW pull the hose out of the breather box so bits arent falling down into it,twist em as your slowly workin em out so as not to break em.

Dxs
06-11-2006, 03:17 PM
ok for future reference for anyone who finds this thread later:

In regards to my b16a1:
*The hose is connecter to a joiner/nipple into the black box under the manifold.. u can just pull this out.. no need to unclamp the hose (the nipple/joiner) pulls of the black box.
*the pcv should be able to be pulled out.. cause my car is 16 years old and is prob original pcv the bastard stuck in there and shattered rather than just slide out.
*there is no 'grommet' as such.. the hose that goes to the black box is also the 'grommet'.. it is all one piece.. i think u pull it out from the bottom.. mine broke into pieces from trying to pry it out.

what i am doing now is putting a line from the black box joiner, to a joiner that goes smaller to big.. then a hose from the big end to the new generic pcv i got from autobarn (steer^gimic's recommendation) and then the hose will goto the manifold like stock.. i will prob use the orginial 'grommet' hose and cut that up as a grommet for this system so it fits into the manifold hole (where the original pcv goes)

bla