PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey DVD upgrade options

gentleman_nosh
30-07-2006, 06:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any information on how to go about upgrading the sound system on an 06 odyssey.

I've spoken to a couple of sound system guys who basically said 'no go'. This seems a bit ridiculous!!!

All I'm after is a system that hooks up to the existing system to hook up to a DVD screen for the rear seat and the ability to play mp3's.

Maybe a camera/sat nav?...? possibly asking to much....?

I was actually thinking of removing the rear vision mirror completely and hooking up a screen to a camera in the tailgate. and hooking my nav to that screen.:confused:

ICACHA
30-07-2006, 10:23 PM
your last sentence is possible, anything else in the front is custom work which costs $$$

thenozman
31-07-2006, 09:24 AM
The "vehicle hub" systems from alpine may work. Have a look.

www.alpine.com.au

vividjazz
31-07-2006, 07:01 PM
For rear seat DVD entertainment just get a portable player with multiple screens for a few hundred dollars.

Something like this http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/788001

ICACHA
31-07-2006, 09:04 PM
40k+ vehicle, couple of hundred in screens :confused:

maybe we shouldnt by cars so expensive that we cant afford any extras :wave:

Lebowski
31-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I had an Audiovox 8.5inch Roofmount DVD combo installed last week in our new Odyssey Luxury. I think it's model MMD85, not cheap at almost $2k inc install but I reckon money well spent.

gentleman_nosh
01-08-2006, 07:01 PM
40k+ vehicle, couple of hundred in screens :confused:

maybe we shouldnt by cars so expensive that we cant afford any extras :wave:

Hi ICACHA, it wasn't the money I was worried about. It was more the fact that I've been told that I simply can't do it.

I would have thought that someone somewhere would have a wiring loom that would fix the problem for some brand or another of HiFi.

Any ideas?

gentleman_nosh
01-08-2006, 07:05 PM
The "vehicle hub" systems from alpine may work. Have a look.

www.alpine.com.au

Excellent, that looks like it just may work, I'll have to look into that a little more and see if they interface with Honda systems...(It turns out that it's actually an '07 model, just sold in '06.

thanks theozman!

gentleman_nosh
01-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I had an Audiovox 8.5inch Roofmount DVD combo installed last week in our new Odyssey Luxury. I think it's model MMD85, not cheap at almost $2k inc install but I reckon money well spent.

Thanks for your reply Lebowski,

I was wondering if the sound is integrated into the stereo system in the car? do you get the sound from the speakers or do you use headphones when you have the DVD playback?

Lebowski
01-08-2006, 09:22 PM
you have the choice of using the FM Modulator to listen through the car stereo simply by tuning the radio to a preset frequency or you can use the IR Headphones.

ICACHA
01-08-2006, 10:37 PM
i will see if i can post pics of the one im working on currently, should be finished tomorrow, has 2 yes 2 7 inch roof screens running through AUX input and NO special adaptors needed :p

ICACHA
01-08-2006, 10:39 PM
oh the $$$ bit wasnt directed towards yourself, it was a general comment that everyone happens to be doing, spending shit loads on the vehicle to buy then not having anything left over for extras, my mate has done the same thing and im still laughing at him hahahaha people completely forget that they need to budget for the little creature comforts these days :) general comment :)

ICACHA
02-08-2006, 10:20 PM
here are the pics, yes AUX is up on screen and yes the audio is playing through the OEM system without any other devices such as FM modulators :)

dont mind the fact that one is darker than the other, i didnt have the screens lined up in the same position.

PM me to find out where you can get this done to your odyssey who ever is interested :)

aka_NSX
05-08-2006, 12:49 AM
thats what i did to my sister one too but using 10" monitor with built in DVD and running through AUX no need FM modulator, but she want the front as well so 7" screen for the front as well, try to get some pics

AusAccord
05-08-2006, 12:44 PM
sorry for hjacking the thread. does anyone know how to connect an ipod to a honda odyssey?? expecting to pick up the car coming saturday. a diy will be much appreaicated. tks

gentleman_nosh
05-08-2006, 01:07 PM
I'd rather the thread wasn't hijacked, but that aside, I think that you can hook any input you like up to the auxillary input on the standard stereo system.

Log in and start yourself a new thread, as I'm sure there is plenty of interest in the topic.

ICACHA
06-08-2006, 11:45 AM
yes it can, but how would you do it gentleman_nosh? :)