PDA

View Full Version : E-manage

Kiz_EG6
30-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Hey guys

This has probably been done to death...
i don't wanna be told all bout how i've chosen the wrong ECU.
Basically i chose the e-manage unit because i have a guy at work who has a lot of experience tuning these untis for nissans and i could get cost on it!

Anyway, question is, has anyone had experience with where to set the v-tec point?
I got the pre tuned EG6 version and it has advanced it to 5000rpm. it feels good still, but it doesn't kick you back like it used to. i suppose this is because it is lower revs, so it engages more gently.

The clearest advantage i can see for it kicking in this early is that it is far easier to stay in v-tec through shifts.

Please give me your thoughts on v-tec controllers and the like...

yourfather
30-07-2006, 06:46 PM
If ya got a stock engine, there's no point in adjusting the vtec engagement point, because the factory set it at the optimal point anyhoo.

Kiz_EG6
30-07-2006, 06:49 PM
thanks, thought so.
I'll plug it up and re-set it this week at work.
Any idea why they would have pre tuned it like that??

ZeForce
30-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Its best to dyno the low cam and the high cam separately and see what rpm the 2 curves meet, that would be the ideal engagement point...

sivic
30-07-2006, 09:30 PM
thats right.
and also, the vtec point is not necessarily set from the factory just for optimum performance. its also for emissions standards. even on a stock engine small gains can be made with slight changes to the vtec point. but its usually better to wait till you've made some modifications before you fork out to put it on a dyno, unless you can get dyno tuning free

CUL8R
31-07-2006, 10:40 AM
if u put ur car on a dyno the tuner should be able to set vtec crossover at the right rpm depending on ur car.
something like a prelude is detuned from factory, this "kick" of vtec makes the car feel faster to newcomers but idealy if u cannot feel crossover but can hear it ur car will be better in a straight line.
zeforce is right (PQ to u), run it on low cam, then run it on high cam. put both power curves on a sheet and find the intersection rpm, set vtec there.
run it again and check the a/f at crossover.
fix this up then run again, if theres a flat/dip lower it even more and check a/f again. its a long and tedious job, u can tell apart the good to the great tuners just by watching them set vtec.