PDA

View Full Version : What brand/spec tyres did you get on your 06 Civic?

chylld
30-07-2006, 07:00 PM
In a carpark today I saw another Holden Astra running Continental ContiEcoContact CP tyres, which are some of the quietest and most comfortable tyres you can get. My 2006 Civic Sport came stock with Bridgestone ER30 tyres which are not only noisy, but also pathetically lacking in grip, especially in the wet.

I'm interested in what tyres other 2006 civic owners got with their cars, standard from the factory. Please state the model (VTi, VTi-L, Sport, Hybrid), the tyre brand and tyre spec.

I'll start:

Civic Sport
Bridgestone ER30

Kiz_EG6
30-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Drive a bit of an older civ, EG B16.
Guess the tyres depend on what you want to do. More performance orientated tyres are going to be noisier, whereas quieter tyres aren't going to stck to the roas as well.
Your other problem is lifespan, how many k's do ya wanna get out of a set?

chylld
30-07-2006, 07:13 PM
edited first message to clarify; i'm interested in what tyres people got on their civics out of the factory, i.e. the stock tyres. common sense says that the brand/spec should be the same for the same model car, but i know this not to be true esp on astras which run dunlop sports on some and contis on others.

i'm not sure about tyre lifespan - how long do normal comfort-oriented tyres typically last? to be honest i'm kinda hoping my stock tyres wear out very quickly so i have a good excuse to get new and better ones :)

Kiz_EG6
30-07-2006, 07:24 PM
maaatee... just schhhpiin dem up as much as you can... they won't last long. lol

Sorry misunderstood ur first q. dunno, neva owned a new car b4!!

EK9_boi
30-07-2006, 07:57 PM
In a carpark today I saw another Holden Astra running Continental ContiEcoContact CP tyres, which are some of the quietest and most comfortable tyres you can get. My 2006 Civic Sport came stock with Bridgestone ER30 tyres which are not only noisy, but also pathetically lacking in grip, especially in the wet.

I'm interested in what tyres other 2006 civic owners got with their cars, standard from the factory. Please state the model (VTi, VTi-L, Sport, Hybrid), the tyre brand and tyre spec.

I'll start:

Civic Sport
Bridgestone ER30

I'm sure that ALL civic sports Aus-wide come with Turanza ER30's (mine has them too, when I get them). If you want quiet tyres then you cn forget performance as the two are almost mutually exclusive.

Perfromance tyres rely on large contact patches to afford the level of grip they provide and hence they tend to be noisier then the run of the mill tyre.

In addition, the difference in compound used for performance tyres is usually a higher silicon content - thus more road noise again.

If you want comfort and quietness then don't expect a high level of grip in the wet - you'll be hard pressed to find some tyres that are quiet and grippy...

cheers

Kiz_EG6
30-07-2006, 08:13 PM
agreed... the stickier the tyre, the louder. you'll prob find you've got a fair bit of noise deadening in a new car though.

I'm running maxxis victras on mine A.T.M they're pretty sticky, but loud as hell.
Gotta say though, for a soft compound, theyre pretty good in the wet, even when they're pretty cold!

Jo_e
30-07-2006, 10:51 PM
I got Dunlop Sports? with mine.
Civic VTI auto. I dunno if they're good or not...but im guessing they're pretty dodge

EK9_boi
30-07-2006, 10:55 PM
I got Dunlop Sports? with mine.
Civic VTI auto. I dunno if they're good or not...but im guessing they're pretty dodge

depends on what number is after "sports" :p check that for us pls. ;)

Tigger
30-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Yep my VTI has the Dunlops... Will check tomorrow exactly what type but they are pretty dodge.

Lots of squeal on fast cornering, and regular loss of traction in the wet.

Another good reason to get new rims and tyres :D

Jo_e
30-07-2006, 11:12 PM
depends on what number is after "sports" check that for us pls.

Um, Dunlop Sport 300. Im betting they're dogde ass..hahahaha. i dont believe i have that much luck to get good stock tyres.

Geezmoz
31-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Vti Manual, 15" 195/65, Dunlop Sport 300.
Not very quiet on some particular surface, especially the patch along princess highway from queen to chapel st. It basically roars and fills up the cabin with noise. Otherwise, been pretty good both in dry and wet. But then, I've only done 1700kms, not really pushing it hard. Mine is only 1.8l, how hard can i go!? Can't expect too much though.

EK9_boi
31-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Vti Manual, 15" 195/65, Dunlop Sport 300.
Not very quiet on some particular surface, especially the patch along princess highway from queen to chapel st. It basically roars and fills up the cabin with noise. Otherwise, been pretty good both in dry and wet. But then, I've only done 1700kms, not really pushing it hard. Mine is only 1.8l, how hard can i go!? Can't expect too much though.

Dunlop SP 300E is supposedly not too bad according to description and the way the tread pattern looks - I haven't driven on them but expect them to be better than the Bridgestone Turanza ER30's that come on my Sport... Not sure of compound composition but not expecting either tyre to "perform" nearly as well as my Bridgestone Potenza GIII's that are on my current car.

Not much in the way of reviews for the Dunlop SP Sport 300 by google search...

For the Bridgestone Turanza ER30 check this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testResultsModel.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+ER30&tirePageLocQty=

but in future to research tires, you can't really go wrong with http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

They are in every sense definitive in their tire testing and rating system.

cheers

JaCe
31-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I have same tyres as Joey.

Good to see your Civic Sport finally arrived! How's the Mugen kit?

EK9_boi
31-07-2006, 12:18 PM
I have same tyres as Joey.

Good to see your Civic Sport finally arrived! How's the Mugen kit?

haven't got it yet - Wed/Thurs. I'm expecting a call from the dealer today ;)

JaCe
31-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Oh I thought you meant that your Civic Sport had already arrived! I was quite puzzled as to why we'd get better tyres than your Sport did!

EK9_boi
01-08-2006, 07:49 AM
All this talk of tyre noise has me worried that I should have shelled out the $$ for the sound deadening. I'm having the 16" Honda alloys fitted to my Vti, so I'm guessing it will probably get the Turanza ER30's, are they really that noisy? And does the sound deadening make that much difference?

read the tirerack review on it that I had posted a few posts up! ;) It' not that noisy. Some people just like to pretend their civic is a Merc when they drive it. :p (just kidding!)

cheers

Scratch2k
01-08-2006, 09:24 AM
All this talk of tyre noise has me worried that I should have shelled out the $$ for the sound deadening. I'm having the 16" Honda alloys fitted to my Vti, so I'm guessing it will probably get the Turanza ER30's, are they really that noisy? And does the sound deadening make that much difference?

chylld
01-08-2006, 05:21 PM
...I'm guessing it will probably get the Turanza ER30's, are they really that noisy? And does the sound deadening make that much difference?

it's all subjective really. for me the ER30's are way too noisy, even with all my sound deadening which i have to say has made a significant difference. however the sound deadening is not a magical cure-all, and whether or not it is worth it for you (both labour- and price-wise) may vary depending on your goals.