PDA

View Full Version : Water pump - how to tell its time for replacing?

Alpine
30-07-2006, 08:22 PM
1999 EK Civic - just wondering what are the telltale symptoms of the water pump requiring replacement? Any specific sounds I would hear from the engine? Does the car overheat? How do I know it's on the way out? Thanks.

bennjamin
30-07-2006, 08:24 PM
generally amoutn of k's....people replace the water pump with the timing belt ( every 100,000 k's) . If the car is normally driven and not raced every day it shouldnt be any different

turbo convert
30-07-2006, 08:25 PM
1999 EK Civic - just wondering what are the telltale symptoms of the water pump requiring replacement? Any specific sounds I would hear from the engine? Does the car overheat? How do I know it's on the way out? Thanks.
You will hear a rattling sound when its stuffed! or on its way out, it sounds like ballbearings rattling around.
wont always overheat as will still be working but if you are out somewhere and shes goes, good luck getting home.
thats my two cents

Alpine
30-07-2006, 08:30 PM
A ballbearing rattling sound..OK. Coz I've just started to notice more of a scratching sound from the engine when I rev it hard. It's not rattling, more of a scratching sound, quite subtle though. Kinda hard to describe. I was just wondering what it could be. I've had the timing belt done but not the water pump. :(

ECU-MAN
30-07-2006, 08:31 PM
as mentioned above, the pump will either be noisy or water leaking from its weep hole.

also at the time of the belt being changed, you inspect the pump, rotate the pully to see and feal if its not rotating freely.

a binding or seizing pump, and if it had any side movement in it is a sign it needs to be replaced.

turbo convert
30-07-2006, 08:38 PM
honestly i think its rare that you will hear the sound when reving, unless your is really F#@ked.
however i am only new to hondas so i dunno how easy it would be to inspect or to change, firstly try your best to listen to it on idle, then inspect for weeping... or even if its an easy job, water pumps arnt that dear just change it to be sure thats my opinion:wave:

turtleEK1
30-07-2006, 09:17 PM
like ben and ecu said....

every 100, 000kms... replace it with timing belt... they're not that expensive i don't think...

but not real easy to see any signs of a stuffed one... unless pulled out

Boban
30-07-2006, 10:33 PM
not expensive man, like everyone said, mine was under $100 brand new

Nuttz
31-07-2006, 07:52 PM
they may be cheap, but just like the timing belt(around $50) its the labour thats expensive.

Twincam16
31-07-2006, 08:26 PM
^^^ Which is why you do this when the timing belt is getting done, as well as all the other bits and pieces that require time/labour.

Get it all done together and save a lot in labour.