PDA

View Full Version : Few DC5 Questions (from a newbie)

tN^
14-05-2004, 03:19 AM
Ok, I'm the nissan turbo freak and i know alot about the turbo charged world, but when it comes to the NA honda stuff i'm lost like a duck. Anyways, i got a friend who ownes a 2002 DC5 integra. Just have a quick question regarding these cars.
I know they handle extremely well through the hills, though I reckon its abit stiff at the front.
What is the best way to lower these cars? besides using king springs.

Air filter- whats the best to use? Any other info about air pod modification

Extractors- Can you get them for these DC5

What other performance mods are there for these cars. Lets say budget less than 500bux.

Computers?

etc etc...

TN-

XXpl0Sive
14-05-2004, 03:26 AM
Are you on ns.com
Your nick looks familiar..

Jus-10
14-05-2004, 10:34 AM
What is the best way to lower these cars? besides using king springs.

Probably anything BUT King Springs....I don't get why everyone goes on about Kings as if they are the sh!t....if anything, they are simply sh!t :?

The absolute BEST way to lower a DC5 would be with coil-overs, although a well matched coil and shock combo would do perfectly for most drivers.

The best air filter set-up would probably be along the lines of Mugen, but be prepared to sell a limb for it.

Extractors are available - lots of them in fact - and all the big Jap names make them from Spoon, Mugen, TODA, etc. Alot also exist in the USA. TODA are supposed to be one of the best, but be prepared to sell another part of your body....

Computer wise, by the sounds of it, the Hondata sounds like the ultimate way to go as they are achieving phenominal results from their testing. Again this is probably gonna cost you up over/around the $2k mark.

$500 aint gonna get you very far with these cars (All the above is assuming you are talking about a Type R). You have to be extremely careful when playing with vtec cars as it is much easier to lose power than it is to gain power, hence why you generally have to spend the big dollars to buy the products that are tested and proven to get results.

Hondata sounds like it is the single biggest bang for your buck as far as mods go - the bonus is that it is a stand alone unit so you can reporogramme it as you fit new mods.

Hope that helps a bit....

LUD02C
14-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Probably anything BUT King Springs....I don't get why everyone goes on about Kings as if they are the sh!t....if anything, they are simply sh!t

Now why would you say that?
What experience have you had with them for you to say that?

I have King Springs in my car now, and they are fantasic!
I have experience them with road use, track racing and long drives!
All worked well.

I'm interested in why you think they are so bad and what springs you think are fantastic?

Jus-10
14-05-2004, 12:07 PM
I am aware that there are peeps out there that have no probs with them at all, but I also know of plenty that have problems with sagging, and two of my mates have had them snap in half.

I had Kings on a Corolla at one stage and I had no probs, but they weren't the best.

All I was saying is that they are by no means the best out there.

Fantastic springs (quality wise) are things like Eibach, Bilstein, Tein, H&R, etc, etc.

As the old saying goes, you only get what you pay for.

If you are happy with them and have had no problems then that's good and all that matters :)

type one
14-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Probably anything BUT King Springs....I don't get why everyone goes on about Kings as if they are the sh!t....if anything, they are simply sh!t

All worked well.

I'm interested in why you think they are so bad and what springs you think are fantastic?

King springs are soft and crappy...

tN^
14-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Yes, i am the moderator of nissansilvia.com.

I had a touge run in the DC5 with an S15. Completely blew away the s15 through the hills, AND that was in a auto (tiptronic) DC5. Not a Type-r. Gotta hand it to them. But then again the s15 driver was crap.

Anyways, How much are Adjustable Coilovers for the DC5. I'm more after the correct lowering of the car, than making the car stiff- so i won't be needed a high spring rate springs. Are whiteline recommended for they do make them for DC5?

Honda are soo crummy to work on. 500bux can buy ya bigger intercooler and maybe some larger turbo or a fuel pump in a nissan.

Ok finally last question, extractors- how much roughly for the DC5?.

[/i]

LUD02C
14-05-2004, 12:14 PM
I am aware that there are peeps out there that have no probs with them at all, but I also know of plenty that have problems with sagging, and two of my mates have had them snap in half

I have heard of sagging from all kinds of springs but never seen street ones snap?
Did it happen while they were driving or what?
Thats no good to hear...

By the way, i wasn't attacking you! My bad if it seemed that way!

Jus-10
14-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Nah I know you weren't attacking (see my smiley happy face at the end of my post)

Yeah they both snapped during normal driving...terrible sound indeed...sounds like a gun-shot!

LUD02C
14-05-2004, 12:25 PM
I hope mine don't snap lol
Nar, i haven't had a problem with my springs (touch wood)
I just need new shocks :?

Tofu
14-05-2004, 04:17 PM
I had a touge run in the DC5 with an S15. Completely blew away the s15 through the hills, AND that was in a auto (tiptronic) DC5. Not a Type-r. Gotta hand it to them. But then again the s15 driver was crap.

[/i]

hehe...i know exactly what you mean

coilovers expect to pay around $2000 for them
i have a set of Mugen (non-adjustable) suspension system it cost me $2500

if you must get a DC5...must go for the R...
believe me...i'm regretting it now..

mo
14-05-2004, 04:35 PM
If your on a budget setup just get some nice springs with koni yellows :)

cheebye
14-05-2004, 05:25 PM

All worked well.

I take it you have never used anything else but king's? no wonder u talk so highly of them.. go try tein's or spoon ones.

Honda are soo crummy to work on. 500bux can buy ya bigger intercooler and maybe some larger turbo or a fuel pump in a nissan.

umm.. $500 for bigger intercooler and larger turbo? HAHA! won't be surprised if those items don't work..

Ralph Wiggum
14-05-2004, 06:55 PM
You are NOT the moderator for NS.com, there is no single moderator, theres quite a few. Also I cant see an NS.com mod suggesting that for $500 you could get a cooler and turbo!!! More like $2-3k for the turbo and $1500-$2k for the cooler...so many doubts. Finally, it surprised me that a non-VTiR DC5 smashed an S15 in the hills.

mo
14-05-2004, 06:55 PM
You are NOT the moderator for NS.com, there is no single moderator, theres quite a few. Also I cant see an NS.com mod suggesting that for $500 you could get a cooler and turbo!!! More like $2-3k for the turbo and $1500-$2k for the cooler...so many doubts. Finally, it surprised me that a non-VTiR DC5 smashed an S15 in the hills.

You mean a base model DC5? :P

Tofu
14-05-2004, 09:42 PM
you doubting me too?
this is very possible... ;)
and yes, the driver was not as game as i was..
i also pulled away from a DC5R in the moutains too...just depends on who's behind the wheel..

ECU-MAN
14-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Adelaide ! hmmmm try Industrial Springs On port rd yall. they seem to be ok at a resonable price

mo
14-05-2004, 10:24 PM
you doubting me too?
this is very possible... ;)
and yes, the driver was not as game as i was..
i also pulled away from a DC5R in the moutains too...just depends on who's behind the wheel..

I agree! It does really depend who is behind the wheel and if they are game enough to push the car that extra inch :P

BlackR
16-05-2004, 11:22 AM
ive got whiteline Flatout lowering springs on my car andd i have to say that the handling dynamics are still there, the car is just 53mm lower than stock. This is how the car should come from the factory.

Tofu
16-05-2004, 05:51 PM
wow...53mm lower than stock??
3 honda techs have told me lowering the car more than 40mm would harm the car's handling...?
?

mo
16-05-2004, 05:55 PM
53mm? Damn that is way low!! Are you sure you didn't mean 35mm? :D

BlackR
17-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Weel the flatout springs can anywhere upto 53mm lower, so whiteline tell me. they probably make them different heights for different cars. The car sits about 5mm above the tyre now and it gives the car such a better stance and a little bit more presence on the road. The springs are a little firmer but seem to have a feel alot better on rougher surfaces than the standard springs. IT only put the camber out by .3mm negative camber on each side of the rear as well. The fronts were adjusted to the same as the standard camber angles.

Tofu
17-05-2004, 03:21 PM
hmm...5mm gap...
that's very low
do you have aftermarket exhaust? doesn't it scratch your front lip..(if you have one?)
i'm on Mugen sport suspension and it's scraping my exhaust and my c-west front lip to crap... :(
and it only lowered the car 25mm from stock

http://www.carplace.com.au/modules/Showcase/imageads/15_1.pjpeg?x=<?=uniqid((double)microtime()*1000000 ,1)?

mo
17-05-2004, 03:22 PM
looking good Jeff :thumbsup: :D

BlackR
20-05-2004, 09:47 AM
It would probably be only alittle lower than your Jeff. Im getting a new digital cam next week. Ill take some snaps then

A'PEXi
20-05-2004, 11:42 AM
lookin good tofu :D... anyway, you can get a cooler for 500, brand new, no piping but... prob 1000+ all up with piping.... post some pics of yours blackr

tN^
09-06-2004, 11:30 PM
I've been doing some researching, and manage to source out a DC5 lowering coilover kit. Its similar to what they use in the DC5 over in the states in lowering their car. Its called a ground effect kit. Its like an adjustable coilover, on your strut where the springs would be, you'd remove it and replace it with them coilover inserts that are adjustable. Search it up on the net to see what I'm talking about.
My question is- can anyone vouch for these method of lowering or would be be more feasible in getting some lowering spring set- like that industrial springs. ECU MAn stated

3rd question- Does anyone have angel eye type head light for their DC5 here? I found a set for 350bux under sponsorship. I thought it was rather cheap- but just wondering whats the going rate on these.

4th Question- Anyone know where you can get a Bomex kit for the DC5 in Australia? A few places in the states make copies of them, but Australia yet have a supplier of them.

5th Question: Where can I get a set of Acura badges and RSX-S badging. Anyone in the states wanna do a swap? Including a steering wheel?

6th Question: Anyone know that black DC5 integra in Victoria with number plate "KECOAK"? The reason I'm asking because its got gullwing doors done to it. I want to know where its been done or who supplies the kit for the gullwing doors on the cars. My best attempt at sourcing it out landed me with some supplier in the states (www.verticaldoors.com)

To the person who doubted my claims on achieving those modification for around $500. To be precise its roughly around 650bux. 300bux for a GTR cooler, 250bux for a mild turbo upgrade and your gone. Piping for the cooler 200-300 for a standard job.

Tofu
09-06-2004, 11:39 PM
as i have stated many many times..
you might be better off checking this forum
www.clubrsx.com

those ground control coilover kits...they are just "adjustable springs"
they are springs that you can adjust the height, therefore changing it's tension..not a good way to improve the handeling of the car..but good for show
you will need aftermarket shocks with them later...

the BMW style angel eye conversion, yes, there has been a silver dc5r with this conversion...personally..they don't look good at all
no one in the states in autosalons have said anything good about them

Bomex kits...try www.jetspeed.com.au
if they don't have them...i'm sure they'll somehow get you it

Acura badges...try www.clubrsx.com

and i think you should be able to find info on gull wing doors for the dc5 on clubrsx.com too

tN^
10-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Ive been there and speant many hours reading through the clubrsx forums. However, its an American base website and many of the readers are from the state. I thought it be best to ask the question to someone who live here locally and with experience on our local DC5- since parts and knowledge of modification could be accessed easily. There's no point in asking someone in the states if the parts for the intended modification can't be accessed.

Jetspeed can't supply them- Bomex DC5 kits

I've been told Acura badges and RSX-S badges can be brought through Honda Australia. Can anyone confirm this?

TN-

Tofu
10-06-2004, 10:09 PM
I've been told Acura badges and RSX-S badges can be brought through Honda Australia. Can anyone confirm this?

TN-

eventually...:p
http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?article=http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2004/06/10/FFXPTDNR9VD.html

but they have a listing on their database..but they will not get them in...

_JENZA_
15-06-2004, 02:49 PM
TN...trust you to get here b4 me. WHEN DID YOU BEAT THE S15 IN MY CAR????
grrr.