PDA

View Full Version : Snapped lug

redliner
30-07-2006, 10:26 PM
I dunno much about civic, since i drive my lude all the time and the civic is my second car that i drive once in awhile. The thing is i snapped one of the screw that the locknut goes onto. Now what i need to know is, what do i need to replace? Just the hub or the whole assembly? I read on some site that says i just need to replace the hub, just to be sure i'll ask some experts here.

Mr_will
30-07-2006, 10:29 PM
pretty sure you'll just need to replace the hub.

in future please be more specific in your title eg "locknut snapped...need to replace hub?" rather than "quick question", which doesnt give anyone any idea as to what youre asking. you'll get more help if you be specific.

Boban
30-07-2006, 10:49 PM
did u just snap one of the studs that you wheel nut screws on to or what??? ^ more specific please as Mr will said

If you snapped the stud, just go to autobarn and get another one, rrp $4.99 and if you are lucky maybe it will be the same size (thread wise, not lenght wise, obviously you have to get the same lenght) as the old one, if not just buy 4 (or 5 if you did a conversion)
Just my 2c, hope it helps

redliner
30-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Sorry i didnt know what it was called. Its one of the hub stud that snapped off, not the wheel locknut.

wynode
30-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Front or back?

Its called a lug by the way :)

Boban
30-07-2006, 11:06 PM
ahhh, so u actually don't need the whole thing than, just one stud correct????
Well 4 if u can't find a maching one

We recently did my frends silvia, his were coming loose (old car) and were jsut spinning around, but you take the wheels off, than the brakes (completely) calipers and all the other stuff off the disc so u can rotate it. Now i'm not sure about hondas, but the nissan had a small hole at the back so you line up the stud and just push it out (use a screw driver or someting if u have to tap it out, and just stick the new one in, and using the supplied nut, thighten in as much as u can so it locks the stud in place, and done. Take the screw off, put the brakes back on, bolt 'em up, put the wheel on and all done.

redliner
31-07-2006, 12:15 AM
cheers Boban... ill check it out at autobarn ;p

Fo55il
31-07-2006, 10:35 PM
i have a similar problem - one of the rear drivers side lug has lost its thread somehow - n i can only put 3 nuts on now ... so i an buy one from autobarn???

destrukshn
31-07-2006, 11:14 PM
you can buy the front ones seperately from honda i'm pretty sure, but the rears come as a hub assembly, i think.

SLOWEGG
31-07-2006, 11:38 PM
A tyre shop can replace it for you with labour for about 50bux. Or you can just go by the nut for about 10bux can open up ur hub and replace it.

Kandy
31-07-2006, 11:59 PM
shouldn't he replace the other lugs as well? as driving around minus one lug would put undue pressure on the other lugs eventually they will snap also? i'm sure i've read that somewhere...

ms_manda
01-08-2006, 08:29 PM
i think you're better off replacing all of them if you're just going to replace one.
the main cost factor in replacing wheel studs is the labour to take it off the hub...the studs themsevles are relatively cheap.

I was a tightarse and i didn't replace all of the studs when one of mine broke.
And because i drove it around for abit before replacing it, it weakened the other studs and eventually another one broke off the same hub around a motnh afterward changing the first stud.

Fo55il
23-05-2007, 01:30 AM
any one done a diy on this i need one ASAP :(

[[d a n n y]]
23-05-2007, 02:54 AM
just get a mechanic to change the broken 1 over for ya should take about an hour max on it
i've got it changed b4

twing
23-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Happened on my EK before.

Took it to dealer because other mechanics say it's a big job. They have to press out the whole hub. Apparently unlike other cars they can't hammered the old lug out.

Cost me about $250+ by melbourne dealer.

Fo55il
23-05-2007, 12:06 PM
damn really???

i wan do it myself tho - diy lol

ill try anwyays

thanx guys

twing
23-05-2007, 12:24 PM
try this DIY:
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_188380/tm.htm

But you have to cut some metal pieces off.

aimre
23-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Are you using aftermarket wheels?
Thats probably why you lug snapped.

If ur other lugs arent bent, then dont worry bout swapping them.

Fo55il
23-05-2007, 07:06 PM
mm yeah i did have sum stupid chromes on it
but i wanna change all - just in case

d diy helped
i gotta just get to it now 2moror probably
thanx

aimre
23-05-2007, 08:15 PM
mm yeah i did have sum stupid chromes on it
but i wanna change all - just in case

d diy helped
i gotta just get to it now 2moror probably
thanx

Means the hole in the center of the wheel was too large, when u bought ur rims, they should have given you some rings to put in there so that the weight of ur cars sits on the center no on the studs

[[d a n n y]]
23-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Happened on my EK before.

Took it to dealer because other mechanics say it's a big job. They have to press out the whole hub. Apparently unlike other cars they can't hammered the old lug out.

Cost me about $250+ by melbourne dealer.

that is a lie.
it's not much of a big job.
i've replaced 2 already
1 on my old civic
1 on my mums odyssey

Fo55il
23-05-2007, 10:21 PM
intererstin - erbody got their own opinions -
from a personall point of view;
if someone has got sum sort of mechanical experience its easy for them to learn new things, but if they have no experience n try to change a stud for example its hard.

i rekon 250 was too much tho

philip_pc
21-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi Guys sorry about reviving an old thread, since the last post was in 2007 i just wanna confirm that all is still current?
I snapped my sisters bolt yesterday whilst changing a wheel and now need to get it fixed. Saw a clip on youtube that you can just hammer out the old one and slip in a new one and whola....
Reading through this thread, can i still get one from autobarn? and it is better to replace all 4 rather than just the one? its for a 99 civic cxi hatch front passenger wheel.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4425/camerazoom2013042120592.jpg

curtis265
21-04-2013, 09:19 PM
You can repalce just one, i don't see why it should be an issue.

Best bet would be to call and ask as to what they have in stock.

grifty
21-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Sorry to say this but you will either need to press out the hub and put a new wheel bearing or grind abit of the new bolt to fit it in.

THE 2BSEEN
23-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Reminds me I need to replace 2 I drilled out to get some lock nuts off lol