PDA

View Full Version : Sugestions on an aftermarket head unit

kitbkk
31-07-2006, 09:54 PM
hi everyone, I swear Im quite a noob coming to car audio. My questions are that I am looking to buy an aftermarket head unit for my car (accord euro) and my budjet is about 6-800 bucks,,well has anyone experienced Alpin CDA-9857? is this head unit good? Or should I jump to other models or other brands? From what I know cda-9857 has 4 chanels..do I need a head unit with more? well I will be saving up after I get a head unit for amps and subs so I would like a head unit that has enough output for me picking amps and subs later on.. and I do concern both about bass and SQ but would prefer more bass as I do listen to hiphops, R&B.. thanks anyone

kitbkk
31-07-2006, 09:56 PM
oh and I forgot to mension the reason I ve been lookin at alpine's because I'd like to have my Ipod conected to it too

mugeneration
31-07-2006, 10:38 PM
well most brands now feature ipod compatibility, most require the purchasing of extra adapters though. Being an accord euro youd want something pretty classy looking so stick to alpine or clarion as a suggestion. Also consider this head unit made by pioneer, features inbuilt bluetooth. mmmmmm

The Pioneer DEH-P9850BT
http://www.pioneer.com.au/files/products/medium/9850BT_tn_medium1.jpg

Int3gra-T
31-07-2006, 10:55 PM
true dat...
that deck is the nicer one of the bunch going around now
n ebay selling them for around 500 mark

JaCe
01-08-2006, 07:20 AM
The bluetooth deck looks awesome but it's pretty exp compared to everything else; so I figure unless you're going to use the bluetooth phone feature; there's no point to it.

I can't remember what the Accord Euro looks like inside, but I was under the impression it's got a fully integrated deck (ie. you'll need a new dash to install an aftermarket HU)?

DSNTGR8
01-08-2006, 12:37 PM
why not get the JVC KDAX1 or 2? theyre headunits that play dvd. (although the screens only 3.5") its still pretty good its in that $800 price range

kitbkk
01-08-2006, 11:08 PM
so most of the after market brands out there are having ipod compatibility? Is Alpine a leader in the ipod-car audio market? thanks a lot guys for ur suggestions. Any more models I should be looking at? And also which model of Alpine is the best excluding those models that play DVD?
From my experience, Nakamichi is quite a good brand, last long, but are they really focusing too much on SQ than Bass?

kitbkk
01-08-2006, 11:10 PM
to Jace
yes "it's got a fully integrated deck (ie. you'll need a new dash to install an aftermarket HU)"

Vinnie
02-08-2006, 08:03 PM
its jus depends on wat ur after. alpine is renowned for being a high end deck that works very well (i hav a cda-9833 from '04) but pioneer has been putting out sum good stuff recently as well. jus look at the list of features on each as thats wat ur paying for and if its got a whole lot of stuff u wont use dont bother with it... are u looking to build an sq system, spl or full ice or r u jus looking to upgrade ut h/u as those are other things to take into account :)

DreadAngel
02-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Alpine or Pioneer you can't go wrong man... Other brands are pretty good from memory and experience (of course not no name brand stuff)

JaCe
03-08-2006, 09:16 AM
so most of the after market brands out there are having ipod compatibility? Is Alpine a leader in the ipod-car audio market? thanks a lot guys for ur suggestions. Any more models I should be looking at? And also which model of Alpine is the best excluding those models that play DVD?
From my experience, Nakamichi is quite a good brand, last long, but are they really focusing too much on SQ than Bass?

I'm pretty sure all the good brands nowadays have iPod support- just some are more advanced than others. I played with... I think it was a Clarion deck? Can't remember, but it had a pretty good control over iPod.

As for Nakamichi... that's like audiophile who wants perfect reproduction. I'm inclined to think that unless you are an audiophile, you'd probably prefer a more feature-rich (and bass-rich) value-for-money preposition.

euro77
06-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Alpine and Pioneer is a good brand. I don't think you can go wrong with them. Some people say not to get Sony Xplod but I have not have any problem with them.

arverson
07-08-2006, 02:08 AM
with a budget of 800, get the alpine 9855. end of story

ICACHA
08-08-2006, 12:57 AM
id be picky and say if you can find a 9835 GRAB IT!!! :) i just hate that slide sh!t hahahaha

Mattski_VTIR
09-08-2006, 03:35 PM
You can’t go wrong with an Alpine Deck. Alpine was the first company to offer seamless ipod integration with its head units. This allowed any Ai-net head unit to connect through a small box (kca-420i) and give access to song names and play lists. Many other companies have followed in there footsteps. Most 06-model Alpine head units come with the next generation of ipod integration. The new system doesn’t require any additional equipment it’s simply plug and play. The "high speed" ipod system is substantially faster to access tracks and large play lists then anything else on the market. So if ipod integration is a must, definitely look into an Alpine deck with FullSpeed Ipod Connection.

rtsnoz
09-08-2006, 04:42 PM
i've got a pioneer 7750MP head unit with ipod adapter. The ipod interface is USELESS... if you are wanting to find a particular song, artist, album or even playlist, unless you have under 4 options will take for ever. To find a song i unplug my ipod, select it and plug it in again...

So... pioneer might make nice headunits, but if you intend to use an ipod with it... DONT buy a pioneer. (unless of course the new models are FAR improved)

GRU53M
09-08-2006, 05:24 PM
I wouldnt go for any of the new ALPINE headunits as they are now made in china not japan and they are having a lot of problems with them breaking down and very soon JB-HI will be selling Alpine gear. Dont get me wrong i love ALPINE but as i now working in the Car Audio industry and we deal with Alpine the only stuff thats worth getting is the new PDX amp range other then that its all getting pretty bad these days.

Mattski_VTIR
09-08-2006, 07:58 PM
mmm very interesting. Only new alpine deck i have heard of having trouble was fried due to bad home install. JB-HIFI that’s very interesting, were did you get your information from? I'm not questioning you or your source, just interested as i'm sure this would upset many Alpine Dealers. I'm onto my 3rd alpine deck and have never had a problem. I'm into the SQ scene in Queensland and i would say 95% of competitors are running Alpine decks, with no problems.

GRU53M
09-08-2006, 08:02 PM
mmm very interesting. Only new alpine deck i have heard of having trouble was fried due to bad home install. JB-HIFI that’s very interesting, were did you get your information from? I'm not questioning you or your source, just interested as i'm sure this would upset many Alpine Dealers. I'm onto my 3rd alpine deck and have never had a problem. I'm into the SQ scene in Queensland and i would say 95% of competitors are running Alpine decks, with no problems.

The Source of this has come STRAIGHT FROM ALPINE in a dealers press release that came out a few weeks ago and JB should be sell bottom to mid range stuff within the next month or so.

Mattski_VTIR
09-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks for that mate, i'm sure there are many upset dealers around the country :p Will be interested to see how this affects them and the Alpine Brand

kitbkk
09-08-2006, 10:32 PM
to be honest im still not sure what head unit to go with.......... it would suck if the new models Alpine will be made in China not Japan anymore... I have narrowed my choices to go with Alpine, Pioneer or Clarion though.. Has anyone experienced the Clarion iPOD interface? Or should I still go with Alpine if they are the best at conecting iPOD? Should I go with those touch-screen models or is it a waste?Should I consider those head units that have 7" screen or touch screen at all even I have to pay about 4-7 hundreds more? I wanna get a decent head unit before I can save up for an amp or 2 then some good two of 12" subs. ...sorry if I sound like a pain but I really have no idea where I should head to.. thanks

Mattski_VTIR
10-08-2006, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't let the "made in china" persuade your choice,
as all Alpine equipment is tested before it leaves the factory. That's why u never really here of Alpine equipment dead on arrival. Despite what has been said i would still recommend Alpine over the competition. As i said earlier most SQ competitors are running Alpine decks up here with no problems. The Alpine decks also offer great other features such as amp link etc (with alpine amps of course). If ipod is a must then you really cant go past an Alpine deck with the high speed interface. Clarion and Pioneer are still using the old method which is slow to access. I'm using a IVA-D310E (7 inch fold out screen) and its great, but it really comes down to your needs. A deck such as the 9855 will offer slightly more function in terms of EQ Time correction then the IVA (unless u couple the IVA with the processor) So unless you plan on watching DVD's a top of the line single DIN unit would probably be your best option.

EGB18CT
10-08-2006, 11:30 AM
check out the top level eclipse stuff...great sound and build quality

Ru$kI
11-08-2006, 10:53 AM
check out the top few Clarion decks (except the HX2 or woteva it is).

I paid $1000 for my deck 6 months ago...so im assuming it will be around ur price range now...although mine was from the '05 range...and originally retailed for $1400

kitbkk
12-08-2006, 12:04 AM
thanks a lot guys for the in put..

check out the top few Clarion decks (except the HX2 or woteva it is).

I paid $1000 for my deck 6 months ago...so im assuming it will be around ur price range now...although mine was from the '05 range...and originally retailed for $1400
the dxz866mp model? i ve been thinking about this one too.. is the touch panel anoying or just good enough to use?

Looneee
12-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Hope this isn't seen as a hi jack, but while everyone is giving out opinions on HU, what are kenwood like? I'm in the market for a similar spec'd head unit as KITBKK

Ru$kI
12-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Personally I don't think Kenwood are that good...there is nothing that stands out about their decks. When I was looking for my deck...i narrowed it down to 3 companies: Alpine, Clarion, Eclipse.

KITBKK...I reckon the touch panel of the dxz866mp is perfect to use...there are 2 layout modes you can choose from depending on which is easier for you to use. I find its very intuitive and once you get the hang of it...you will never go back;)

Feature wise...honestly if you can get your hands on the 2005 model DXZ856MP...or DXZ956MP...then go for it! I myself have the DXZ856MP...and its got WAY more features that are offered in the DXZ866MP...and im sure it will be cheaper too

phily
14-08-2006, 01:59 AM
i got a kenwood KDC-X7533U and its got USB! RRP $499 i got it for $350
i highly recomend it. but its way under the price range and has only pretty basic features such as HPF and LPF (which is more than had with my clarion)

there is a model higher as well the X9533U.
http://www.kenwoodaudio.com/Australia/prodDetails.asp?Cat=Car%20Entertainment&SubCat=Head%20Unit&Model=KDC-X9533U
http://www.kenwoodaudio.com/common/images/Products/KDC-X9533U_500.jpg

i cant comment on the ipod connectivity but the USB kicks ass!
i hate ipods with a passion and sold mine as soon as i got my 4th replacement unit (had it for 6months and only got about a few days play out of it, the rest of the time i was waiting for replacement units)

anywho give kenwood a go cos ive never been let down by them regardless of when they were purchased. we got a 90 model pajero with a kenwood cd player and its still going strong!