PDA

View Full Version : noticable power to be had??

89civic
01-08-2006, 07:14 PM
hey all, im getting a new axle back sports exhaust on friday and a K&N drop in filter some time soon. will i notice a power difference with the axle back, filter and advanced timing? and is it normal to have water comin out of the exhaust on every start up?

BTW car is an 89 civic D15B4 dual carb sedan

Twincam16
01-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Water out of exhaust in aftermarket systems seems to be the norm in winter.

If you are worried, stick your hand over the exhaust and ask a mate to blip throttle. Your hand should be watery & should have a black tinge to the water from carbon. If it smells of heavy oil, and feels very lubey, then worry.

In regards to the power difference, you will definetly notice throttle response (which makes feel faster) and the sound difference will also contribute. Get a set of headers to add to exhaust and you will feel a difference. Not much, but it will be there. As i said, the sound & throttle response are what you feel.

kayot1k
01-08-2006, 07:42 PM
if u had an aftermarket one already, given it was half decent. you shouldn't notice any gain on top of what you have already had.
if this is all new to you then, you should definitely have a free-er flowing acceleration.
power gain, abit. if u were to get a full exhaust i.e headers/Hi flow cat. thats where you'll find the most gains via the exhaust route.

dont expect a k&n filter to make any difference.
advancing the timing, a tiny bit in acceleration.

Jord
01-08-2006, 08:11 PM
just got a cat-back on my ED hatch looks and sounds the part but as for performance im thinking no difference :P

czy_sol87
01-08-2006, 08:21 PM
axle back sports exhaust and a K&N drop in filter
i dont think u will notice much with just an axle back muffler, but u might feel a bit of response thats about it, and the sound from the muffler might make u 'think' ur car is faster

mrwillz
01-08-2006, 08:25 PM
axel back, wen i had myn, it did feel somewat a lil free
i wudnt say a few kw's gain or nething
but u'll feel it

bennjamin
01-08-2006, 09:09 PM
moved to noob forum. This is "old hat".

BTW you will only get an increase in "noise" - which makes the car "feel" faster...you wont gain much more than 1 or 2 hp. But its worth it :)

mugeneration
01-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Unless driving a machine with a lot of power in the first place, you won't 'feel' much change at all. Any change will be minimal if at all, but you'll have a sicker sounding exhaust, so people think you go fast :cool:

I know from experience ;)

qikteg
01-08-2006, 10:23 PM
why not save an extra $200 or so and just get it from the catback?

Jord
01-08-2006, 10:43 PM
get the cat back sound the shit and it only cost me $225 total bargain for a gr8 sounding zorst can sometimes give me a headache on longish drive tho

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/9320/jordancivic01007vo3.th.jpg (http://img356.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jordancivic01007vo3.jpg)

simbadda54
02-08-2006, 01:33 AM
wow 225 is pretty good for a catback. Hondas rev high over 100km/h (around 3.5k) and so it does get quite noisey ><

Vinnie
02-08-2006, 02:34 AM
wow 225 is pretty good for a catback. Hondas rev high over 100km/h (around 3.5k) and so it does get quite noisey ><

that depends on gearing. mine comfortably sits under 2500 around 100kmh but it is an accord... but yeh catbacks and really most exhaust systems in general can free up a bit of power but unless ur gonna go all out with headers, a new catalytic converter, etc its mainly jus there for the exhaust note. nuthin wrong with that tho :) especially at that price...

89civic
02-08-2006, 11:46 AM
thanks for all the replys guys. i got quoted $270 for an axle back but i still have the pipe that goes over the axle so im getting it for bout 170 or so. im only getting this exhaust because its cheaper than standard replacement and i dont have an axle back, rusted off.

Jord, how did u get ur exhaust that cheap?

panda[cRx]
02-08-2006, 01:19 PM
the water is from condensation, some will also just be from the combustion process.

i think the zorst and filter will certainly make you car sound faster

Paul1985
02-08-2006, 08:06 PM
']the water is from condensation, some will also just be from the combustion process.

i think the zorst and filter will certainly make you car sound faster
Read the thread and was going to say the exact same thing.
Thats all it is, dont worry.

+rep for you.

You would be better off ditching the k&n filter and getting a cat-back exhaust instead IMO.