PDA

View Full Version : Durability of leather in the euro LUXURY

benthx
01-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Hello Guys

Those of you who have the luxury model that comes with leater seats. How well does it hold up?? Is some cracking acceptable level of wear and tear even after 2/3 years? Is it a warranty issue. The way I look at it, the material or product should perform or last for a reasonable peroiod of time that one would ordinarily expect.

I can also confirm what I have read in other thread about the car pulling to the left a little.

Thanks
Ben

aaronng
01-08-2006, 08:29 PM
You should apply some form of leather or vinyl protectant monthly. Otherwise the side bolsters will crack. FYI, the side bolsters are "simulated" leather while the part that your bum and back comes into contact with are real leather.

Vinnie
01-08-2006, 08:36 PM
the leather in my vti-s is still holding up very well after 12 years so the honda stuff seems to be very good quality. over time theres gonna be some wear obviously but yeh as long as u look after it there shoodent be any probs :) i havent heard nething about the euros interior in particular having problems so u shood be fine.

aaronng
01-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Back in 1994, Honda used real leather. LOL. With the Euro, only the parts that comes into contact with your bum and back are made from real leather. Oh and the steering wheel wrap is real leather too. Everything else is vinyl, including the "leather" trim on the doors, center armrest and headrests.

Vinnie
01-08-2006, 08:51 PM
as proud as it makes me feel to think my car has better stuff in it than a euro, it doesent :P there may be some leather on the door inserts but other than that its the same, only the steering wheel and wat u sit on is leather along with the headrest. in any case, it all looks like leather even if half of it is vinyl but the most important thing is that it all holds together and looks good :D

benthx
01-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys for that. It is the one of the side bolsters that are starting to crack. I didnt know about simulated leather for parts of the seat. Do you think it is worth chasing up with HA?? Considering extended warranty was purchased as well.

Apart from that everything else is fine. I dont drive or have learned to drive a manual so I will have to get my partner to teach me how to use the sports shift mode.:eek: She wants to drive the car but I said first time you would have to be surpervised:p

Thanks
Ben

tanalasta
01-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Good recommendations for a leather protectant / conditioner are:

Zaino Z10
Wolfgang Vinyl/Rubber Protectant
Pinnacle Leather conditioner
Lexol

I have the Euro Sport - so no real leather. However, I do interior detail my car. Once a month (or so) I use the wolfgang on the vinyl dash and door trim. And Zaino Z10 on the seats. You only need a foam applicator and a very small amount goes a long way as you only need a very thin smear :)

An enthusiast dealer or some online stockists such as waxit.com.au or concoursecarcare.com.au should stock some of them.

Spec83
01-08-2006, 10:24 PM
I think you will find that the Euro Luxury is full real leather - the grain matches and ages exactly the same as the seat centres.... The only thing that sin't leather in the Euro Luxury is the PVC door inserts...

BTW i use Zaino Z-10 - For the $$ its the best leather conditioner full stop!!

Hoyle
01-08-2006, 11:30 PM
I have the Euro Sport - so no real leather.
Actually, the Euro Sport does have leather bolsters on the seats. Some of it is vinyl though, apparently. At least that's how its advertised. Are you telling me they've been telling porkys?

stephen8512
01-08-2006, 11:40 PM
my passenger front seat and my rear seats are still factory NEW cuz NO ONE has sat in them frequently enuff for it to fade. So my rear and front passenger is in mint condition
my driver on the other hand, has started to develop a slight "gloss" on the leather seat....the bit where ur bum comes into contact. i still clean all my leather seats though....i might try ZAINO's cuz up until now ive been using MEGUAIR RICH FOAM LEATHER CLEANER

tanalasta
02-08-2006, 02:19 AM
Actually, the Euro Sport does have leather bolsters on the seats. Some of it is vinyl though, apparently. At least that's how its advertised. Are you telling me they've been telling porkys?

Yes, they're leather bolsters. But just like the Civic Sport and the Euro - there's the small print that says "Leather may contain some vinyl". So they're not 100% leather hide as you're aware.

It depends on whether you define leather as "100% leather" or not.

Tobster
02-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Leather is leather and vinyl is vinyl -- you can't have leather that contains vinyl. When they say "leather trim" with the footnote, it means there is some vinyl used instead of leather on certain parts. On the Euro lux, all of the face, including the side bolsters is leather. The sides and back aren't. You can easily see that the back isn't leather if you look inside the seat pocket and look at the backing.

I like a saying I heard the other day: material wears out, leather wears in!

Spec83
02-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Yep i had a close look today and all of the seat faces are leather - the back and back sides of the seat on the other hand are vynal - u can see the grain/colour change at the stiching... the headreast is also leather all over..

Stephen8512 - I can highly reccomend Zaino Z-10.... yes the leather does go shiny but thats part of the leather wearing in... The car smells like 100 cows inside after you put the Z-10 on :)

hengis
02-08-2006, 11:13 PM
my drivers side seat has got quite some wear and tear on it, so i don't have a terribly good impression of honda leather - I am considering taking it up with honda since its only been half a year and i've got a hole and some serious wear on my seats already. i don't believe my ass is very fat, and i only weigh about ~60kg..

Spec83
03-08-2006, 01:17 PM
My euro is 6mths old and the leather is wearing in nicly - go and see honda... remember sharp objects, water and leather dont mix... I had to stop wearing studded belts to be sure i didn't rip the leather

bigdongers
03-08-2006, 02:27 PM
the best leather cleaner and conditioner is Leatherique. Bit pricey but worth it.

Onrmnd
03-08-2006, 03:11 PM
When you say "Pricey". How pricey???

Omotesando
03-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah the whole front of my Lux is leather, even the bolsters on the side but facing forward.

The side and the back however are made of a different material, which should be vinyl.

The rear seats are full leather once again.

falco
06-08-2006, 08:21 PM
My Euro leather is 3 years old and still in perfect condition.
I use Leatherique for conditioning (twice) :cool:

benthx
07-08-2006, 09:47 PM
I just got a call from an honda dealership, that I raised my corncers about the state of my drivers seat. They are going to replace the whole lot not just the side bolster.

Thanks Honda:) :honda:
Ben

as001
08-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Armor Oil It

Unkie
17-08-2006, 04:58 PM
I've recently noticed that there is a grey strip on the front seat base bolsters (the edge closer to the doors), where the stitching is, that runs almost the length of the bolster.

I initially thought it was due to my pants rubbing against it as i got in and out of the car, but its also on the passenger side, in the same position, the same length.

Does anyone else have this or know what may be that cause?

ZEi20T
17-08-2006, 11:40 PM
oh is it part of the leather?? its funny you mention that i noticed it today on the drivers side too. ill check the passenger side tomorrow. i thought it was discolouration and i was going to hit it with some treatment

its probably to stop wear as thats where most contact would occurr when getting in and out of the car

curik
18-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Yep i had a close look today and all of the seat faces are leather - the back and back sides of the seat on the other hand are vynal - u can see the grain/colour change at the stiching... the headreast is also leather all over..

Stephen8512 - I can highly reccomend Zaino Z-10.... yes the leather does go shiny but thats part of the leather wearing in... The car smells like 100 cows inside after you put the Z-10 on :)

I want 100 cows inside!! Where did you get the Zaino Z-10 specR? does Autobarn have it?

falco
18-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Z10 is $30 @ zainobros.com.au :p

curik
18-08-2006, 11:58 PM
does it have to be bought online?

tanalasta
18-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Well it doesn't really smell like 100 cows - and if you've ever been to a farm, that's not a good idea anyhow!

But I use Z10 as well - from www.waxit.com.au (Zainobros only recently started up shop). Highly recommended - you only need to use a small amount which spreads a long way. No need to buff off. And restores the 'new car' smell. The smell lasts maybe up to two weeks but the UV protection and leather conditioning is why I use it.

So how often do people use it?