PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new battery ?

tRipitaka
01-08-2006, 11:42 PM
About a week ago, I started my car up for the first time since I came back from a holiday overseas (about 4 weeks)..

I tried to start it, it didn't start.. So fair enough, thought it was the battery.. Jumpstarted it, and it was running..

A few days ago, started it up.. took a bit to start up.. like there was a bit more of the tick tick tick before it got up and running, instead of the usual, tick tick run.. then yeah, took it for a drive..

So tonight, I decided to start it up for a trip to the local supermarket, and the car wouldn't start..
Had the same symptoms as what I had from coming back on holiday..

Would it be that I need a new battery ?
Because my other car's battery definitely lasts longer than 3 or 4 days without starting up..

Or would it be the starter motor.. Possibly the alternator ?
What would the other symptoms of a bunged starter motor/alternator ?

Although, after jumpstarting it, I didn't take it for a "25" minute drive, rather a 10/15 minute drive.. Would that be the problem ? That the battery wasn't fully charged ? Or would I be looking at purchasing a new battery ?

SLOWEGG
02-08-2006, 01:05 AM
It will be the battery, cause the cold weather kills it. Happened to me few months back. Every morning it will struggle to start, even if i drove it all day before. It will charge properly, but will just discharge very quickly.

aaronng
02-08-2006, 01:20 AM
Check if the acid level is between min and max. If it is too low, top it up with DISTILLED water or battery water.

destrukshn
02-08-2006, 01:22 AM
also you can check the volts of the battery, when the car is OFF and ON.

Spunkymonkey
02-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Do the other checks that have already been mentioned. If its still playing up after that time, you may need to change battery. As if its been left that long, and the charge has totally drained, you will find the performance of the battery is not as good, and it will tend to drain a lot quicker. See how you go, only change the battery if nothing else is working. Also suggest for next time if you go away for an extended period, just to disconnect your battery and lock your car manually so that will save your battery life.

tRipitaka
02-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Do the other checks that have already been mentioned. If its still playing up after that time, you may need to change battery. As if its been left that long, and the charge has totally drained, you will find the performance of the battery is not as good, and it will tend to drain a lot quicker. See how you go, only change the battery if nothing else is working. Also suggest for next time if you go away for an extended period, just to disconnect your battery and lock your car manually so that will save your battery life.
i wouldn't say that the charge has been totally drained, because the alarm was still working..
but even if it was 90% drained, would it still effect the performance of the battery ?

Spunkymonkey
02-08-2006, 09:49 AM
I've found from past experience that yes it can effect the performance of the battery. In the past even if I've re-charged batteries with our battery recharger they don't perform as well.

tRipitaka
02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
just started it up before..
jumpstarted it..

hopefully it doesn't die within the next few days.. or i'll be in the market for a new battery -_-

Spunkymonkey
02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Have you checked the water levels inside yet? Top up with distilled water if needed and see how you go for the next week or so...

Q_ball
02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Almost everyone in our group has had the same issues ie. faijai, duesta and myself (all tegs :p)
Simple change of the battery has solved all probs.

EG5[KRT]
02-08-2006, 05:02 PM
u could take it to your local kmart and they can do a battery test on it..

usually if u have been away for a few weeks u should take the battery and charge it for 24 hours on slow trickle.. so that it gains full potential again

if your battery is old .. one of the cells may have broken down therefore u dont even have 12v...

also check the voltage of the car when its started .. if its 12v then ur alternator isnt doing its job.. usually the voltage should b around 14.4V

so if your alternator isnt doing its job check the belt tension.. otherwise then u would need to take to autoelectrician to rebuild...