PDA

View Full Version : oil in 2006 civic

oms
02-08-2006, 12:43 PM
hi all,

just wondering what type of oil goes into the 2006 civic?

im looking at changing my oil in the first 200 kays (before the scheduled one) and i wanna make sure i get the right stuff...?

this will be the first honda i have ever owned so sorry for the stupid question(s)....one more i promise

does honda sell spare parts to the public? where?

destrukshn
02-08-2006, 12:48 PM
there is a new special oil made for the 06 civic.
it is aviable from honda, but i don't know what the difference is from that, to other oils, all i know that it's specifically made for the 06 civic

oms
02-08-2006, 12:50 PM
is this suitable for the run-in period though?

aaronng
02-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Aren't you supposed to run your engine in on the original oil for a longer period than 200 km?

krogoth
02-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Aren't you supposed to run your engine in on the original oil for a longer period than 200 km?

yes, i think thats true, and as for that special oil crap

lol, its prob some marketing scam so honda can charge u an extra $50 per serivice for teh "special oil" lol

Scratch2k
02-08-2006, 04:11 PM
yes, i think thats true, and as for that special oil crap

lol, its prob some marketing scam so honda can charge u an extra $50 per serivice for teh "special oil" lol

I think the technical term for this is "snake oil".

DomenEK
02-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Whatever your owners handbook says - stick with that. I wouldn't fvck around with stuff on a brand new car.

type one
02-08-2006, 09:25 PM
first 200ks?? change oil? wtf? are you mad... first service is 1000km - in which case honda will change oil and test car for issues.

are you going to do oil changes every 200ks now? don't waste your time

Geezmoz
02-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Honda didn't change my oil for my 1st 1000k service, only after I requested for it. Have to wait another 1/2 hr for it. Car felt much better after oil change, but upon looking at the sticker on my windscreen, its castrol magentac 10-40. So, not too sure what they put in there. Honda Special oil or just bloody cheap castrol off the shelf?

oms
03-08-2006, 04:08 AM
no, i wouldnt change the oil every 200k's.

The first 50 kays or so is where the engine has shed most of the fine aluminium shards, this is why they get you to change at 1000k the first time...to get rid of the crap...

thing is, if you follow the honda reccomended service they wont change the oil till the aluminium filings are well and truly part of your engine...

have a read of this.. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

aaronng
03-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda didn't change my oil for my 1st 1000k service, only after I requested for it. Have to wait another 1/2 hr for it. Car felt much better after oil change, but upon looking at the sticker on my windscreen, its castrol magentac 10-40. So, not too sure what they put in there. Honda Special oil or just bloody cheap castrol off the shelf?
Probably castrol magnatec. My dealer used the same oil. Next time if you want the Civic oil or any other oil, buy it from the shop or the spare parts department, call to make a booking and tell them that you are bringing your own oil. On the day of service, leave the oil on the passenger footwell (or seat if you dare).

oms
08-08-2006, 02:42 PM
hrmm...magnatec is semi-synthetic, cant be too good on a car that is still being run in...

im not sure what im gonna do, my car comes t/m but there is no way in hell im going to wait till 10,000 kays to change my oil!

edit: just spoke to honda servicing, the mechanic said they put magnatec (10w-40) if you request an oil change at 1k. The honda genuine oil is 10w-30SL. He said the "smei-synthetic" oil should be fine but not to use full-syn...

i believe there are a few mineral oils that are rated at 10w-30-40 so might go with that.

aaronng
08-08-2006, 03:34 PM
hrmm...magnatec is semi-synthetic, cant be too good on a car that is still being run in...

im not sure what im gonna do, my car comes t/m but there is no way in hell im going to wait till 10,000 kays to change my oil!

edit: just spoke to honda servicing, the mechanic said they put magnatec (10w-40) if you request an oil change at 1k. The honda genuine oil is 10w-30SL. He said the "smei-synthetic" oil should be fine but not to use full-syn...

i believe there are a few mineral oils that are rated at 10w-30-40 so might go with that.
Magnatec 10w-40 is mineral with additives. Magnatec 10w-30 is semi-synthetic.

Semi synthetics are fine. It is a mineral oil with a little additives added.

VT3C
08-08-2006, 04:23 PM
jeebus !! firstly WHY is your HONDA dealership using Castrol Magnatec oils ?? That magnatec crap is extremely hard to REMOVE from your engine and besides, your Honda engien is Aluminium so any magnetic properties on alloy are lost.. so basically it's a terrible oil to use in your honda !! think about it.. if that oil has 'special' features which make the oil magically stick to your engine parts (etc) so that on startup it's already protected.. well how exactly are you meant to REMOVE the deposits of dirty oil from your motor when service time ?

Your Honda dealer should ONLY be using Honda FEO (etc) as part of their scheduled service regime !! I'd call Honda Australia if your Honda dealership is using non-genuine parts when servicing their products.

Secondly, if you change your own oil you will most probably void your new-car warranty (IF that's an issue to you)..

aaronng
08-08-2006, 06:56 PM
jeebus !! firstly WHY is your HONDA dealership using Castrol Magnatec oils ?? That magnatec crap is extremely hard to REMOVE from your engine and besides, your Honda engien is Aluminium so any magnetic properties on alloy are lost.. so basically it's a terrible oil to use in your honda !! think about it.. if that oil has 'special' features which make the oil magically stick to your engine parts (etc) so that on startup it's already protected.. well how exactly are you meant to REMOVE the deposits of dirty oil from your motor when service time ?

Your Honda dealer should ONLY be using Honda FEO (etc) as part of their scheduled service regime !! I'd call Honda Australia if your Honda dealership is using non-genuine parts when servicing their products.

Secondly, if you change your own oil you will most probably void your new-car warranty (IF that's an issue to you)..
Magnatec is not magnetic...... It has polar additives that are attracted to polar materials such as the aluminium alloy of your engine. Polar forces are weak and when your engine is started and moving, the polar forces are not strong enough to maintain the film and act like a normal engine oil.

You like Motul 300V? It uses the same concept as Magnatec to maintain a film on the engine surfaces.

channon
08-08-2006, 07:01 PM
so that means should i request the oil change at 1000km?
i just serviced it but honda didnt change my oil so should i go bak and ask them to change it?

EK9_boi
10-08-2006, 09:34 AM
so that means should i request the oil change at 1000km?
i just serviced it but honda didnt change my oil so should i go bak and ask them to change it?

I'm thinking of requesting an oil change at my 1000km's service but I'm thinking of switching over to the the best possible oil - is Honda's "special 06 Civic oil" that special? or what is the recommendation here for the best if money is not an issue?

thanks in advance.

cheers

EK9_boi
15-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm thinking of requesting an oil change at my 1000km's service but I'm thinking of switching over to the the best possible oil - is Honda's "special 06 Civic oil" that special? or what is the recommendation here for the best if money is not an issue?

thanks in advance.

cheers

Hey :wave: , can someone please answer my qn here? I'm gonna service the car this Friday and I need the info please! THANKS!!!

cheers

Bob san
15-08-2006, 06:13 PM
IMO there really isn't any in point in changing ur oil for the first 1000km. let the engine settle in (its brand new remember.) :)

EK9_boi
16-08-2006, 08:51 AM
IMO there really isn't any in point in changing ur oil for the first 1000km. let the engine settle in (its brand new remember.) :)

This is precisely why a change of oil is healthy for the engine - to flush the engine of metallic dust and debris from breaking in ;)

anyway - Honda oil or something else ppl (bearing in mind that I want the best for my car and $$ is not an issue)? thanks

cheers

aaronng
16-08-2006, 11:04 AM
I'd say stick with Honda oil or buy that Civic oil from the parts department and bring it there for them to use. Then at 10,000km go synthetic.

Bob san
16-08-2006, 11:18 AM
This is precisely why a change of oil is healthy for the engine - to flush the engine of metallic dust and debris from breaking in ;)

anyway - Honda oil or something else ppl (bearing in mind that I want the best for my car and $$ is not an issue)? thanks

cheers

Dude even the honda dealership donsen't recommed you chaningin the oil at 1000km. you need to let the engine settle down first. when i first checked my dip stick at 1000km it was clear (yes clear.) i though the engine had no oil lol:p

but then i looked closely at saw that shiny part of the stick which indicated there was oil. i was a little worried so i asked honda what was goin on. they said this is normal because your engine is brand new and it is very clean. i also asked my mechanic and this is normal for new cars.

But then again its ur money and your car so take care of it:)