PDA

View Full Version : car pulls to one side when accelerating ..

EG5[KRT]
02-08-2006, 04:53 PM
since i crashed my car i got semi slicks on...

and i fixed everything and got an alignment...

but when i drive sometimes the car pulls really bad to the left... and when i get off accelerator the car pulls slightly to the right ...

is this a steernig rack problem ?? or is it just coz i have semis on ?? ?

destrukshn
02-08-2006, 04:56 PM
have you done your wheel balancing yet?

DomenEK
02-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Not sure about this, but maybe get the alignment settings rechecked, get the wheels balanced and maybe check your tyre pressures too. Also look for uneven wear on the tyres (if they're new there shouldn't be any problem with this).

That is about all I can suggest, short of taking it to a reputable mechanic and get it checked.

EG5[KRT]
02-08-2006, 05:05 PM
wheels are balanced ...

tyre wear mite b an issue due to them being 2nd hand ...

the alignment was good coz i checked the specs as he was doing the alignment.

tyre pressures are fine .. i did them afta i got them balanced..

hm.. im thinking it mite b bent tie rod ... or farked steering rack ...

quangsta
02-08-2006, 08:20 PM
could be that something is loose and isnt holding the alignment firm enough so wen u drive it loosens up making alignment wacko jacko...tie rods, steering rod joints (dont know wat its called)

destrukshn
02-08-2006, 08:22 PM
get a read out of your alignment next time.
so you can check you castor - toe - camber
etc.

EG5[KRT]
02-08-2006, 08:29 PM
yeah i got a readout at work

i got zero toe atm and -1 camber on each side
castor is a bit weird tho...

destrukshn
02-08-2006, 08:35 PM
what's wrong with the castor?

EG5[KRT]
02-08-2006, 09:05 PM
different on each side ...

mite b due to the tyres . but then agin some of the bushes on the right lower control arm are worn ...

destrukshn
02-08-2006, 09:08 PM
change the bushes.
the castor may affect it.

julzy_84
02-08-2006, 09:37 PM
its important that both of your castor measurments are the same or very close to the same.

aznpsuazn
03-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Torque steer?

G-Stick
03-08-2006, 11:19 AM
which side did u hit maybe one of the control arms are bent and causing one of the wheels not to be in da middle of the wheel arch, so both of the front wheels aint at the same level.

EG5[KRT]
03-08-2006, 05:38 PM
i already replaced one lower control arm.. and one strut ..

.. so i duno mayb i should get a new steering rack ...

im gonna put on some normal tyres n c the difference coz from what my friend said it might just b the compound of the semis . and the tyre wear on it.

czy_sol87
03-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Torque steer?
yep sounds like torque steer
do u have an LSD?

ek4-guy
03-08-2006, 07:06 PM
tourque steer and as for the castor your left front should be more positive than the right this is to stop tracking where your left wheel will drag you into the gutter or road shoulder

string
08-08-2006, 03:57 AM
Uneven l/r castor will cause pulling to one side under acceleration. Torque-steer is another, but obviously since you mentioned screwy caster, there is your answer.

New bushings all round, or castor adjustable rods (whiteline for example), or shim the stock radius rods, or get over it. It's non-adjustable from the factory so there is no simple "get an alignment" solution.

Steer^Gimic
08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
have you kept your power steering?

string
08-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Not having power steering won't cause a problem, it will just enhance what is allready going on since you physically have to fight it, rather than the p/s pump helping you.

Steer^Gimic
10-08-2006, 01:54 PM
yeh good point string.

EG5[KRT]
10-08-2006, 05:11 PM
im guessing its the castor ..

on the Left lca i had the whiteline castor kit .. but i took out the shims so that the castor should b equal..

now the right lca is standard with worn bushes

oh wel i got a new subframe and LCAs worked out so will just wait n c

RMN15N
09-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Sorry for hijacking your thread but,
i have the same problem as you do..
but i got my car like that.
i went n got a wheel alignment and all of the wheels r good except my left rear wheel, the lower control arm is bent i think.. it seems the toe is out abit
so when i hook the left corner its very nice n responsive.. if i do the same with the right hand side it sides and u can literally feel it slide out..!
i will be changing that control arm along with bushes this sunday.

any tip about what i could do?
maybe its the tie rod? and i see my steering rack boot is also busted could this be another reason why?

Moya
11-09-2006, 05:27 PM
On a similar topic, can anyone tell me if an LSD will stop my car from side stepping on hard gear changes (chirps)?

riceball
11-09-2006, 06:09 PM
i think its just ur semis. Ive been running on semis for awhile now and i had exactly the same problem. No suspension problems. I just changed back to street tyres today and they are fine.

RMN15N - Have u checked your tyre wear recently? could be just some bold tyres thats causing your problem.

Moya - what do u mean by side stepping lol. Does ur car jump from one lane to another?

Limbo
11-09-2006, 06:18 PM
No LSD will not help chirps, it might actually increase it, cos both wheels will be distributing the force evenly, and you can put better power to the ground.

Also get a 4 wheel alingment and it should tell you if any caster is out. i believe that Pedders have a shock testing unit for a few dollars which will test your suspension and bushes for any other problems.

As for pulling to the side, which roads are you testing on or are they perfectly flat drag strips? Most roads are not flat so depending on when the tyres get grip they will pull a certain direction.

RMN15N
12-09-2006, 10:04 AM
i think its just ur semis. Ive been running on semis for awhile now and i had exactly the same problem. No suspension problems. I just changed back to street tyres today and they are fine.

RMN15N - Have u checked your tyre wear recently? could be just some bold tyres thats causing your problem.

Moya - what do u mean by side stepping lol. Does ur car jump from one lane to another?

my tires are fine but one , the front right hand side is bold on the inside
but the problem is the car tends to pull to the left not the right. so im assuming this is fine?
ive now replaced the control arm and bushes haha the toe isnt sticking out no more but it sticks out from the top now so the wheel is cambered in ways not out ways.. i have to get it customed by cutting it etc.. will post up how it goes once its finished..
anyone go anything else to help with this?

bigjo5
12-09-2006, 08:27 PM
i think its the bit on the steering rack which the tie rod end is connect to is worn out.. forgot wat that was called..but the steering rackboot is covering it.... u can tell when u jack up the front of ur car then put one hand on the top of ur wheel and one on the bottom then try to shake it in and out.. and if it moves alot then thats stick/bar or watever is broken.. and needs replacing